Help! I've broken it (Carver Cascade Drain)

deerhound

Trying to drain the heater, seller showed me he only ever used the small screw at top left of heater to drain it but manual shows unscrewing the larger bottom drain where it says Drain against frost, First time I tried it with very large bladed screwdriver there was a crack and the centre now is holled, where can I locate a drain plug and are these usually very difficult to remove/ When I loosened the small top one only small amount of water dribbled out but once bottom one cracked fair amount of water drained which according to manual was about correct? Motorhome is Swift Royale Ensign 590 200yr, and heater is Carver Cascade? Was going another trip on Friday but looks like not now? any help please.

Always assuming you can remove the broken remains, it is not difficult to get a replacement plug online. Try Googling "Carver Cascade Drain Plug".

http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk are a good source, but there are others.

If you fire an order off now, you may get one delivered before the weekend.

(If you have any caravan dealers nearby, however, I'd try calling them as this is a common part, fitted to caravans and motorcaravans, even though the heater isn't made any more, and you could probably pick one up).

The plug shouldn't be over-difficult to remove, but it does have an O-ring which may have deteriorated, (or even be missing) and scale does sometimes build up.

AFAIR, the little 'plug' is simply a bleed point, (not fitted to all models), it should be drained through the large drain point.

I had the same problem two years ago. When I had got the broken off bit out, the thread was fouled up with scale built up there. I managed to find a steel bolt, possibly an old tow-ball attaching bolt?, that was the same thread and used that to clean the thread out on the heater, cut a notch in the end of the bolt and just worked it back and forth to gain a bit each time. I doubt if the new drain plug would have tighened enough to nip the o-ring otherwise.

As stated by an earlier poster, the small vent at the top needs to be open to drain properly.

HTH

Stuart

The plastic connections on the Carver water heater get brittle with age. It is good practice to replace the inlet( includes one way valve), outlet, drain plug and air bleed every five years or so. The unit has to be withdrawn through the side of the vehicle to gain access to the inlet and outlet connectors. These items used to be white but three years ago when I replaced mine some were black.

They frequently break but I have had luck getting the stub out by jamming a large screwdriver in. As a last resort I have very carefully drilled out at the tapping size for the thread and then picked the bits out with a sharp point. Suggest buying the new bits first as you can get an accurate idea of the drill size needed .

The o ring seal for the drain plug is an uncommon size unavailable in my large collection of assorted sizes. Luckily I found three at a show for about a quarter of the price normally charged for one.

Archived