Toilet chemicals.

deerhound

Am I correct in using the Pink Thetford agent in the swing out arm above where the toilet cartridge is? and this will come out in to the bowl when flushed, and use the Blue Thetford agent in the cartridge when on site? Seller said only blue is needed. It is on Swift Royale Ensign 590 2000yr. thank you for any advice. (?)

Correct.

Pink is the rinse-aid, which is not essential (though some people prefer the slight 'perfume' it adds, and it supposedly manages to keep the bowl a bit cleaner 8-) ). You add via the flush tank (which will be the swing-out filling point). There was a problem with this creating black mould in the flush tank if left for any length of time, so you may wish to be careful about draining down periodically, though I believe the formulation may have been changed to avoid the problem.

The blue (or green) toilet fluid is somewhat more essential (though others no doubt will disagree), particularly as it helps to break down any solids, and (depending on which type of fluid) kill off any pathogens. This should be pre-applied to the cassette in the defined quantity, and then topped up with a litre or so of water.

Note that some sites, usually in more remote areas ( off main sewer systems ) will not accept the blue chemicals as it is said to kill off the bacteria needed to 'dispose' of the waste.

I've never seen any sites banning green.

I read somewhere recently that the blue has now been altered to be acceptable but I don't know if that is the case.

Guest Peter James
malc d - 2010-10-21 4:42 PM

Note that some sites, usually in more remote areas ( off main sewer systems ) will not accept the blue chemicals as it is said to kill off the bacteria needed to 'dispose' of the waste.

That one always surprises me when you think of all the bleach and disinfectant sold which presumably ends up in the sewers. (?)

Peter James - 2010-10-21 6:09 PM

That one always surprises me when you think of all the bleach and disinfectant sold which presumably ends up in the sewers. (?)

it may end up in the sewers but if it goes through a septic tank first it'll wipe out the 'friendly' bacteria required to break down the errr

crap floating through the system

The chemical used in the old formula blue was Formaldehyde which kills good as well as bad bacteria as already stated.

It would be worth checking the contents of any blue (or indeed green) toilet chemicals to make sure you don't use it any longer.

And I agree with an earlier post, the green (we use Aqua Kem) smells far nicer than the Blue!

Keith.

Many thanks again for advise, I purchased both from local dealer yesterday then spotted same in Halfords, confused due to there being some blue left in sight tube when it should be pink. When flushing the toilet does flush mix come from the pink container only or does it also get fresh water from tank? (?)

deerhound - 2010-10-21 7:21 PM

Many thanks again for advise, I purchased both from local dealer yesterday then spotted same in Halfords, confused due to there being some blue left in sight tube when it should be pink. When flushing the toilet does flush mix come from the pink container only or does it also get fresh water from tank? (?)

there are basically 2 types of loo:

1) Those with their own built in independent flush tank

2) Those that take the flush water from the main fresh water tank.

From what you've said, you've got the first, so the flush water will only be taken from the toilet's own tank. The advantage is that you can put in your pink stuff to make things smell nice etc, the disadvantage is that you need to remember is to top the toilet tank up from time to time.

Peter James - 2010-10-21 6:09 PM

A septic tank does not attach to the mains. It is a catchment bottle usually in three stages where the waste enters the lowest tank and the solids settle and degrade with the bacteria present. The lighter particles and water then flow into a higher tank to again settle. The final stage is at the height of a field drain usually in a herring bone layout that lets the now cleanish water soak away into the ground.

Adding small amounts of bleach to the system is OK but large amounts will kill the bacteria. (Information quoted here from Klargester a maker of Sepic Tanks)

Chemicals that are contained in the Blue (non Eco) Fluids, Formaldehyde and Caustic will do the same thing.

The process in a sewerage works is different to that of a septic tank but even these can be put out of action by excessive chemicals in the waste they are trying to process.

John

This link from Thetford's USA website may be of interest:

http://www.thetford.com/Portals/0/pdf/Formaldehyde.pdf

(Personally, I think adding a 'rinse agent' to a toilet's flush-water reservoir is a complete waste of money. I gave up using chemicals in the toilet-cassette several years ago, when I fitted a SOG ventilsation system, and I wouldn't ever want to go back to using them.)

Some people with toilets that flush from the main tank and have no header tank, use Pink in a hand spray before and after.

Some say Pink is not of too much use, however it does help to "lubricate" the bowl before, and wash down after with a pleasent smell.

So say some :-D

Rgds

johnnerontheroad - 2010-10-21 7:32 PM

Just fit a SOG and get rid of all the chemicals http://www.soguk.co.uk/

Dave

fine, but the stink is gagging at the emptying point,do not follow anybody who has a sog, spent sept in s, france and you didn,t need to ask if somebody had a sog you could smell it. used lidl bio clothes washing liquid ,outside temp 30c+, only emptied when full, smelled like washed clothes when emptied,used it in the waste tank as well, no nasty niffs

bigal55 - 2010-10-23 7:16 PM

Dave

fine, but the stink is gagging at the emptying point,do not follow anybody who has a sog, spent sept in s, france and you didn,t need to ask if somebody had a sog you could smell it. used lidl bio clothes washing liquid ,outside temp 30c+, only emptied when full, smelled like washed clothes when emptied,used it in the waste tank as well, no nasty niffs

Sorry 'SOG' users/sellers but i agree with Bigal, if you have a Sog system please don't park near me, I don't want the smell of your effluent being 'fan driven' in my direction. I use good old fashioned Elsan blue, the more Formaldahyde the better. (not that I believe the pretty Thetford 'Chemist')

I just prefere a false perfume smell to the 'other type' of smell. And the 'Pink' stuff added to water... even better.

Rayjsj - 2010-10-23 11:14 PM

bigal55 - 2010-10-23 7:16 PM

Dave

Sorry 'SOG' users/sellers but i agree with Bigal, if you have a Sog system please don't park near me, I don't want the smell of your effluent being 'fan driven' in my direction. I use good old fashioned Elsan blue, the more Formaldahyde the better. (not that I believe the pretty Thetford 'Chemist')

I just prefere a false perfume smell to the 'other type' of smell. And the 'Pink' stuff added to water... even better.

No smells from mine, just make sure the carbon filter is changed.

Guest JudgeMental

ignorance is bliss......Mine does not smell, and much less smelly then a normal toilet, where odours waft into van? Not with SOG because as soon a you open the trap the motor sucks the smells out via the filter. Have had one over 3 years and no problems...

I am sure when people say they smell SOGs it is in fact the waste tank, or maybe filter needs replacing, but even then the smell does not compare with a troublesome waste tank! :-S

Sorry but SOG beats chemicals every time. The smell is just that, a smell, it does no damage to you or the environment. Emptying takes about 10-15 seconds then just flush the disposal point and the smell goes. There are no issues with disposal, in a proper place of course. It is acceptable in some sites that don't accept chemical toilet disposal of either colour. We've found 3 in Scotland and an increasing number of CL sites in England so far this year.

It is far cheaper. A SOG costs about £85.00 to buy and is free to fit if you have a basic DIY ability. If not it should only cost an hours fitting time at a dealer. Then that's it. No chemicals at a tenner a bottle to buy for as long as you've got the van. No running out of chemicals abroad or in the countryside miles from a caravan shop, no taking up of payload carrying enough to last for a tour abroad, no wondering if the blue ones are "green, or the ingredients are safe for disposal on the site you're on. No ruining your clothes or shoes with a spillage.

In our case when we leave the last site to head home I just drop a dishwasher tablet in the cassette so the sloshing about cleans the inside of the cassette, empty it at home down the loo and add fresh water for next time, job done.

The SOG was one of the best additions to our van and I would recommend it to anyone.

Guest pelmetman

Following a tip I read earlier in the year on here, I have been using dishwasher tablets in the cassette and Fairy washing up liquid in the flush tank :D

Works great, no more expensive chemicals :-D

Can I please ask what one should do before driving back home.

When we left the last site last week I emptied the cassette and put more Blue stuff in and approx. 2 -3 litres of water as if the loo would be used again. However, we returned home and the solution is still in there.

Is it OK for the short / medium term, or should I have just given the tank a good flush out and left it in a dry state?

Archived