Gas conversion

flicka

There have been a few threads,recently where members have experienced difficulties with Gas Appliances when they have not been used for a period.

Q:- I know the pipes can lose gas pressure over a period of time & may need to be purged of air, but in cold weather will the Gas revert to liquid in the pipe & cause any problem (?)

I dont think so not in our moderate climate. I think the main cause of problems after a lay up is simply that the pipes need to be purged. It can take longer than you think to purge the air out particularily if you try and do it via a pilot light. Better to purge through a ring on the hob, IMO

flicka - 2010-10-28 3:16 PM

Q:- ...in cold weather will the Gas revert to liquid (?)

No!.

LPG can only change state from gas to liquid when subjected to extreme pressure.

Once it has been vaporised off as gas from the cylinder it cannot revert to liquid in the pipes.

What will happen over time is that the gas in the pipes will 'leak' away and as stated may take quite a considerable time to purge.

Keith.

Keithl, you are getting confused possibly with how they liquify LPG by using pressure and then dissipate the heat generated. To avoid extremely high pressures and dangerous temperatures which can be reached by the compressed gas then refridgeration of the gas used as well.

Or you may be thinking of liquid CO2 which has quite different properties.

You will find with Butane and Propane the Gas to liquid transition phase is very close to the respective boiling point temperature. So yes in freezing conditions then Butane gas does indeed revert to liquid in the pipes.

Archived