East anglia dog deaths

teflon2

Yes I'm no doubt in the wrong forum but this is so important I've put it here. As many of us take our dogs with us as I do please be aware that this infection is a fast killer. We stayed at C.C.C. Sandringham and our Basset hound became unwell on the thursday within hours he was so ill that we set off for home, we only live in Bury S. Edmunds so it's about an hours run booked Alfie in to vets within an hour and they gave him injections of antibiotics antiinflamatory and painkiller. Fri a.m. not any better and had not been able to take fluids of food since thursday. Emergency trip to vet who was shocked to see his further sickness by now vomiting and diahoeha shuddering and moaning. Rapid trip to vetinary hospital in Stowmarket and put on I.V drips. Saturday after xrays showed a substance in his intestines they operated and removed it and sent it to be analised his intestines were purple not pink the vet had seen nothing like it. After Sunday in intesive care he recovered it had been touch and go.

Really sorry to hear of your poorly dog, it must have been horrible.

I'm pleased he is recovering but it would be very interesting to hear what the outcome is.

Ref the title of the thread - have there been any actual deaths attributed to whatever it is?

Yes Mel according to the news there have been about 30 deaths in the area it seems to have happened before but no so bad. More details can be found on the Sandringham wedsite under news. Please if anones dog shows any such symtoms speed of treatment is the only help, it seems that untreated it kills in 24 hours. Alfies recovery was amazing and within 3days he was back to his normal self exept for the zipper running the lengh of his stomach. Thank for your caring it was the worst weekend weve ever had. John

No he does not approve of water. I think it has someting to do with the amount of fungi around this year. Even after all the tests Alfie had they still cant find what it is, also there is no open water at the C.C.C site and the only area he was off the lead was the authorised dog walk. John

That IS worrying, we had a problem when down in North Cornwall, near Newquay 2 years ago, with our Labrador Wendy, but it seems she had ingested some 'Water Hemlock' root, It was very Scary and my Ageing Motorhome broke all the speed limits on our way to the Vets as she lay in a coma in the back.

This problem seems more sinister though, are they sure it is a Virus ?

Could you dog have eaten something equally nasty?

The vet said we were very lucky as she had attended where a local farmer had lost 5 Cattle after eating Water Hemlock. (it had been dug up by the farmer with his JCB.)

Glad he survived, he'll be showing all his friends his operation scars now. :D Ray

Guest Tracker

This made the news in the Anglia region this week and it seems that lots of dogs have been affected and some have died.

Nobody seems to know, or if they do they are not saying, what the cause is.

Given the mystery, and the seemingly localised issue, plus being something of a cynic, I did wonder whether it has any connection with the Sandringham Estate which amongst other things does have, or so I understand, gamekeepers for the shooting areas?

This was on the "Look East" programme more than a month ago, so the site managers must be aware of it. I thought they had put a sign up warning people, but I could be wrong.

We went to a rally at Little Clacton recently and the stewards had their cat with them. He suddenly became very ill and had to be rushed to the vets where he nearly died. The vet was apparently shocked to see a young cat in such a severe state. After emergency treatment he did recover, and it seems he had eaten a moth that had poisoned him, but it all happened in a very short time.

Glad to hear your doggie is on the mend now. Its heartbreaking to see them suffer isn't it.

John,

As you have said in an earlier post the Sandringham estate website asks for anyone whose dog suffers this 'illness' to fill in a questionnaire for the Animal Health Trust who are trying to identify the cause.

Perhaps anyone else whose dog is taken ill may want to fill in the form and help.

Keith.

Edit. Try Googling 'Sandringham dogs' and you'll get lots more news stories.

Hi keithl they are also asking for anyone who has walked their dog in any of the designated areas to fill in the questionair regardles of remaining unafected. Yes they appear to have put up a sign now but tere wasn't one while I was there. John

Archived