Using a Caravan Club just for water/disposal

raffik

I have been told that if you are a member of the Caravan Club you may use any site just for filling up your water tanks and emptying your chemical toilet without having to use a pitch.

Having looked around online I cannot seem to find any information about this.

Does anybody know whether or not this is true? Thanks

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mel B - 2010-11-01 7:47 PM

Hi Raffik

I think you may be mistaking this for the Camping and Caravan Club who allow you to do this for a fee of £4-£5 I believe.

Not heard of it on a Caravan Club site. :-S

Mel,

According to next years big sites book it will be £6.60 at all the club sites with a MH service point.

Keith.

£6.60 for water and dump, what a rip off but typical of U.K. ! Sending this message from aire at Montville (Dept 76) using the free wi-fi provided by the town for aire users, stayed overnight free overlooking parkland and lake, with just 3€ for services. There is just no comparison.

(Re Caravan Club more likely to give you a gold elephant than let you just pull in to use services)

I didn't see anything about Gold Elephants in this months caravan club magazine ? things they do to increase their membership. *-)

When they were asking members for their opinions and ideas last year, I mentioned that something akin to an Aire (in the Late arrivals area) for a modest charge (and vacated before 12 am) would help a lot of M/Home members 'En Route' , which by coincidence USED to be the name of their magazine. They changed it probably because they prefere folk to stay (set up awnings and 'wind-break' fences) for a week at least, these days.

or am I being cynical ? (again). Ray

Rayjsj - 2010-11-02 9:14 PM

I didn't see anything about Gold Elephants in this months caravan club magazine ? things they do to increase their membership. *-)

they prefere folk to stay (set up awnings and 'wind-break' fences) for a week at least, these days.

or am I being cynical ? (again). Ray

I think so!

In our travels last month and this week we had no problems booking at CC sites for one or two nights. In two cases we phoned on the day to see if a pitch was available for that night ( to save our going out of our way to find no room). In both cases there was absolutely no problem, including arriving after Reception was closed. Indeed the wardens were very helpful.

We are going to a Christening near Chester on Sunday 16th January which will necessitate an overnight stay the previous night. We cannot make a booking with CCC as at weekends a minimum of 2 nights is necessary - absolutely no problem booking with CC.

I'm with Mel B on this one; although a member of C.C.C. I would prefer to use C.L. & C.S. sites - I got electric thrown in for that price when we had to visit Cambridge a couple of years ago!

The C.C.C. are supposed to be 'The Freindly Club' - nothing friendly about wringing more cash out of their members. If they must charge why not make it a voluntary one, which could then be donated to a local charity, or school, to promote camping or outdoor life. Now that's really friendly (lol) Wonder if any of their 'top brass' will read this & take up my idea. If they did then I would sign up for that scheme & use it often - as it is - I'm giving this scheme a miss! >:-)

robertandjean - 2010-11-02 10:01 AM

£6.60 for water and dump, what a rip off but typical of U.K. ! Sending this message from aire at Montville (Dept 76) using the free wi-fi provided by the town for aire users, stayed overnight free overlooking parkland and lake, with just 3€ for services. There is just no comparison.

(Re Caravan Club more likely to give you a gold elephant than let you just pull in to use services)

Yes that sounds expenive, but it is a 'service'provided,and there's no reason why other members should have to subsidise the costs.

I wonder what it would cost simply to fill a fresh water tank...our van,like many others I guess, holds around 120 litres if filled full, so if you only use such a stop to fill from empty it has to be paid for, and likewise if the waste tanks need emptying there are probably ongoing costs to teh club.

However, we did stay at an Aire in france a few weeks ago, which was not only free, but had free electrics as well, a standard hook up, and not just a short period,plus free water!

Keith T - as you said you, like us on a number of occassions, used an 'Aire' with FREE water, FREE disposal of grey & black waste, FREE elcrtrics and no doubt you will use the facilities again if in the area again. The idea is that you will spend some of your cash in the local towns & villages & not always in the super markets.

If the club's were 'free' for these services, we would return & no doubt be more inclined to stay over for a night or two. (?)

Timetraveller - 2010-11-04 5:48 PM

Keith T - as you said you, like us on a number of occassions, used an 'Aire' with FREE water, FREE disposal of grey & black waste, FREE elcrtrics and no doubt you will use the facilities again if in the area again. The idea is that you will spend some of your cash in the local towns & villages & not always in the super markets.

If the club's were 'free' for these services, we would return & no doubt be more inclined to stay over for a night or two. (?)

Well this takes some beating.

Let's be honest, there are folk who camp in whatever fashion they choose, who wouldn't pay for anything. They'd flog their own breath if they could.

There are folk on here, you can see & read it in their posts, every time they make a comment it alludes to money. And how they've hung on to it. Where they've saved it, how little (or nothing) they spent on aires etc, it never ends.

They have the temerity to write such waffle as "it's better than giving site owners your money". Another classic is some (not all), Aire/wild/free users pontificate about how much money they then have to spend in the local towns.

Well I'm sure you do enjoy a fine meal at a Michelin starred restaurant after you've saved €8 on sites fees, well done...Give me strength, they'll be tucked up in bed at 8pm, frozen, with one eye on the battery level after feasting on Iceland burgers - as a weekend treat.

It clearly never occurs to them that there are people out there, and I'm one of them, who doesn't have to pick and choose how and where they spend their money. I can afford sites, fill ups, UK sites, CC site fees etc.

That sounds boastful, it's not meant to, the reason I've put it so bluntly is that it infuriates me to think these folk think we should all live like that. What rubbish, if you want (or have) to watch the coppers for whatever reason, fine, but don't ram it down my throat.

I'll get me coat 8-)

Martyn

I sometimes think of membership of both clubs is like a discount card. There are no other benefits to members when on site not even priority over non members during busy periods.

I know that you can book sites months in advance but not many of us want to do that. I know we get Big sites book and magazines which are very useful.

We have also been annoyed by being unable to book 1 night at weekends. We live almost 600miles from the channel and when going down we prefer to have sites booked. We like to stop at Moffat (no suitable CC sites open all year nearby. During winter months (especially last February) we like to stay on main roads so CS and CL not suitable.

We mentioned this to the man who was on duty at the CC stand at the NEC and he said he would pass it on to the Committee.

LordThornber - 2010-11-05 9:46 AM

Timetraveller - 2010-11-04 5:48 PM

Well this takes some beating.

Let's be honest, there are folk who camp in whatever fashion they choose, who wouldn't pay for anything. They'd flog their own breath if they could.

There are folk on here, you can see & read it in their posts, every time they make a comment it alludes to money. And how they've hung on to it. Where they've saved it, how little (or nothing) they spent on aires etc, it never ends.

They have the temerity to write such waffle as "it's better than giving site owners your money". Another classic is some (not all), Aire/wild/free users pontificate about how much money they then have to spend in the local towns.

Well I'm sure you do enjoy a fine meal at a Michelin starred restaurant after you've saved €8 on sites fees, well done...Give me strength, they'll be tucked up in bed at 8pm, frozen, with one eye on the battery level after feasting on Iceland burgers - as a weekend treat.

It clearly never occurs to them that there are people out there, and I'm one of them, who doesn't have to pick and choose how and where they spend their money. I can afford sites, fill ups, UK sites, CC site fees etc.

That sounds boastful, it's not meant to, the reason I've put it so bluntly is that it infuriates me to think these folk think we should all live like that. What rubbish, if you want (or have) to watch the coppers for whatever reason, fine, but don't ram it down my throat.

I'll get me coat 8-)

Martyn

Well said sir !

;-)

Mardee - 2010-11-05 11:04 AM

I sometimes think of membership of both clubs is like a discount card. There are no other benefits to members when on site not even priority over non members during busy periods.

We tend to stay on CC sites in UK, and are guaranteed a good standard at a realistic price - unlike many commercial sites we have tried, where they are not only very expensive, but the facilities are often of a debatable standard!

So to pay an relatively small annual membership fee is quite acceptable - we also get a monthy magazine which sometimes has articles of interest, access to technical and travel information, and an excellent website or phone booking system for ferries, usually at discounted prices.

I consider this good value for money,but have to agree with the contention about lack of priority over non-members, though generally have not found this to be a problem - sometimes the tendency to allow seasonal bookings (for members with caravans!) is more of a problem!.

Lordthornber

I agree wholeheartedly, I have said it before on many threads (wildcamping threads etc) that I would rather pay to be on a "propper" site than save a poxy £20 (ish) per night and sleep in a layby, tesco car park, back of an industrial unit etc etc. I think some peeps just get a kick out of saving a few quid. And I dont accept "I cant afford site fees" excuse. Anyone who even drives an old banger of a MH has to pay probably £1000 pa minimum for tax insurance servicing etc and then theres the fuel, so you must have some money.

I like your anecdote re watching the battery level etc. sounds about right from what I have seen. Think I better get my coat and take cover as well.

I suppose there are always two sides to a coin. Some people may be forced in to reducing their expenditure and therefore whilst still enjoying the outdoor life need to do it more economically. In that case, CL's, CS's, cheaper private sites may be the order of the day. For others where Economics may not be such a pressing matter they wish to stay on sites that they choose, irrespective of cost. Is either way wrong ? Each to their own.

I am a memberr of both clubs and use them frequently as well as using Private sites where there there is no Club sites in the vicinity. I am not flushed with money but like the security of club sites and the facilities they have to offer. I do not think that the pitch prices of either of the club sites are extortionate but hey, that is in my opinion.

I am restricted to when I can take my main holidays, always in the 'Peak Season' when the costs are at the highest. I can't do anything about that so just have to accept it and budget my trips accordingly. I spend most summer trips in Europe where pitch costs are astronomical, much higher than the UK Club sites.

It is simple in my view, there are facilities available at a cost, if you don't want to pay for them then don't use them and if you do want to use them then pay for them.

Mardee - 2010-11-05 9:30 AM Of topic I know but we had a similar problem with the forum changing KaraWANKen tunnel between Austria and Slovenia to Karaselfgratificationen !! We contacted webmaster and it was changed !! Margaret

But only because of a suspected inaccuracy over the use of "gratification"!  :-D

Big Momma - 2010-11-05 3:18 PM ................ It is simple in my view, there are facilities available at a cost, if you don't want to pay for them then don't use them and if you do want to use them then pay for them.

Hear, hear! 

However, I would like to add this: and please don't come moaning on here about the consequences of your choices.  You join: you don't join.  You pay: you don't pay.  No one forces you down either route.  If you aren't happy with what the clubs do or supply, tell them - it's far more liable to influence them than telling us lot!

Guest pelmetman

Seems like some people have yet to discover the "Joy of Thrift" :D

I am thinking of writing a book about it ;-) something like the "Joy of Sex" with hand drawn illustrations of my tips on saving a few coppers (lol) (lol) (lol)

Its bound to be a classic :D

Archived