Insurance with breakdown cover

crob

Our insurance with Aviva is due for renewal. Although we have RAC breakdown cover, there are such severe limitations on certain parts of this that it is hardly worth having!

For example, there is a limit of £175 for roadside assistance including towing in costs! How far do you get towed with a 25', 5 tonne van for that money? About 100 yards!

Also, all these policies include car hire, typically 14 days. What use is a car hire when you are stuck with a broken down van in one locality?

SO, what other breakdown policies are there that cater specifically for the practical aspects of a motorhome? These huge RV users must have something better than this, surely?

Hi crob,

You will get a variety of answers on this subject.

For what it is worth, I have been with Caravan Guard for a number of years. I have never claimed and my premium has only gone up about in line with inflation.

The breakdown assistance is built in to the premium and there is no limit on vehicle size or weight. European cover is an extra cost and they cover older vehicles when some others do not in Europe.

we use, and have done for severeal years, Safeguard. They seem pretty good, and a pan-Euro breakdown cover is included with the policy price. The service they offer- I usually telephone them - is very helpful and all staff seem very knowledgeable and willing to help.

Hi Colin,

We have insurance with Highway, arranged through Adrian Flux, and then separate breakdown cover with the RAC through the C&CC 'Arrival' scheme which lifts their usual restrictions on length and weight.

All in all it was the best deal for us.

Keith.

Keith T - 2010-11-09 4:36 PM

we use, and have done for severeal years, Safeguard. They seem pretty good, and a pan-Euro breakdown cover is included with the policy price. The service they offer- I usually telephone them - is very helpful and all staff seem very knowledgeable and willing to help.

I second this :-D European travel is not restricted either! B-)

Archived