Peugeot Boxer X250 Service Cost

AndyB

Fiat Professional do a low mileage service. I had my 2.3 130bhp 2013 Fiat Ducato based van serviced at 19 months when I was having a warranty issue fixed. I'd done 10509 miles. Cost me £266. I had a new oil filter sealing gasket, and Selena oil. The Fiat Professional garage said I needed the next service in 24 months although I'm working on 18 month service intervals based on what Fiat professional staff at the NEC show advised. I expect my next bill will be over £400 if I use Fiat Professional.

I suggest you talk to your dealer about your van being a low mileage motorhome and seek its advice. I was told I had to have my van serviced in accordance with Fiat's service schedule for low mileage vehicles to maintain my warranty although it did not have to be carried out by Fiat.

I may revert to an annual service with my local garage because the Fiat Professional dealer has had a change of personnel and the reliable pairing who've looked after my vans for the last 15years have moved on.

As one who always takes an over cautious approach I shall use a main dealer on my newish MH in the full knowledge that that I am paying over the odds to help maintain the expensive looking show room and 'free' (who are they kidding?) coffee machine and Kit Kats so as to not risk any problems with the warranty. Similarly for the annual habitation service.

But I wish an expert in consumer law would come along and say whether it is actually lawful to insist on using a main dealer to maintain the warranty. I suspect that it isn't but don't want to risk it.

I also used Fiat Professional in order to get the 'correct' stamp in the book. This was a 28000 mile/2 year service and cost the thick end of £400. As I have mentioned in another thread I was less than impressed with the standard of service as I had to get the fuel filter replaced a 2nd time as Fiat Prof b......d the one they fitted. However, I would point out that the dealership covered many makes such as Iveco, Ford as well as Fiat and obviously were a commercial outfit, not specifically only Fiat. I have also heard through the local grapevine that as a dealership in general, they do not command a lot of respect, but they are the ones listed.

As I am now out of warranty I am free to go wherever I please for future servicing, and fortunately the dealership where I bought the van has now just started offering this service. The price is likely to be of a similar nature, but hopefully the standard of work will be better.

I used to do all my own servicing but age and arthritis make this not so easy anymore.

Blimey, doesn't time fly !!!!

Now on 3rd Motorhome.

My Adria will be 1 in September and I'm going to use a local garage for an oil & filter change.

Fiat professional seem very expensive so I'll give them a miss.

AndyB - 2016-05-07 4:17 PM

Blimey, doesn't time fly !!!!

Now on 3rd Motorhome.

My Adria will be 1 in September and I'm going to use a local garage for an oil & filter change.

Fiat professional seem very expensive so I'll give them a miss.

All I suggest is just fouble check your warranty is still good if you do this.

I rang BT fleet (mentioned earlier in the thread) and they quoted £68+parts + VAT. They said they'll use a Peugeot oil filter to protect the warranty. They thought 14,000 miles was a little low to do the 30,000 'recommended' parts.

Our 2.3 130 2007 Ducato had one dealer service at 18 months when they completed the intervention A and B reverse judder problem

Since then I complete the full Fiat service schedule every year although I test both engine coolant and brake fluid and have changed only once

Genuine filter costs circa £15 and Mobile 1 full synth oill £30 from Costco the full service takes me around an hour and I know all items are attended to

Fitter at Iveco dealer advised me to leave the fuel filter alone as with the quality of UK and EU fuel 100k miles no problem and no leaks after filter change

In 9 years I have just changed the starter battery as it seemed a good idea and had to replace the alternator reg/brush pack as the brushes had worn

Routine servicing is not complicated (just read the schedule) - takes me longer to do a hab service but thats another story

Ray

A new motorhome will normally have several warranties. There will be an ‘automotive’ warranty relating to the base vehicle (Fiat Ducato, Ford Transit, Mercedes Sprinter, etc.), a warranty relating to the motohome conversion, probably a ‘watertightness’ warranty, plus warranties for major appliances like heaters and fridges.

As far as I’m aware maintaining the automotive warranty will not insist that scheduled servicing be performed by an agent of the vehicle’s manufacturer. So it’s not mandatory that a Fiat Professional agent carry out scheduled servicing on a Fiat Ducato. In principle, as long as servicing within the warranty period is carried out acording to the vehicle manufacturer’s stipulations, the warranty should be maintained. This is discussed here:

http://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/new-car-warranty-servicing/

The trouble with not using a vehicle manufacturer’s agent for servicing within the warranty period is that a problem that arises subsequently requiring under-warranty attention may demand that the vehicle’s owner prove that servicing had actually been carried out correctly. With, say, a new Ducato, were genuine Fiat parts used, or parts fully matching Fiat specifications? Was the correct oil used - not just the appropriate grade, but an oil fully meeting Fiat’s specification? If the buyer cannot prove that this has happened, a warranty claim could be refused. There’s also the matter of non-safety-related software revisions to be born in mind - the vehicle manufacturer’s agent should know about these, but an independent garage may well not.

As far as the other warranties are concerned, whatever the warranty documentation says about its maintenance, that’s what the motorhome owner needs to do. If an annual habitation check is required to maintain the conversion warranty, an annual check by an authorised agent for that make of motorhome will need to be performed. And if the conversion warranty does not demand an annual habitation check, although a dealeship might recommend one be performed it won’t be obligatory.

We agree with all that from Derek but would add that the 'Good will' of the guarantor may also be required after the Warranty expires.

There have been some well publicised examples of items having a higher than average/premature failure rate, like Corsa ECU's for example, that don't fail until Warranty has expired, but are acknowledged to be a known problem area.

Often a manufacturer will replace this free, outside warranty, on a Good Will basis. However, their goodwill seems to be absent if the servicing work, although they acknowledge is valid, has not been carried out by them.

One such issue locally to us that of stuck Diesel Fuel Injectors where removal of stuck Injectors results in the engine being damaged and the manufacturer contributing to the cost of remedial action.

The local Vauxhall Dealer, even outside warranty, is fitting a new engine where Injectors are stuck fast, and making major contribution to the cost.

They started off handling the claims by removing the Cylinder Head at the Dealers and sending the Head to the engineering company that does all our machining work for our Engine Transplants. But as the Claims increased, the Cylinder Heads stacked up in the machine shop. So the Dealer changed tack.

The number of vehicles in bits waiting for Engine work grew beyond the dealers resources so they were forced to turn around the claims more quickly, the quickest way for them was to fit a new engine.

An engine from the Vauxhall plant (same as our brand new Ford Zetec crated engines) comes 100% complete with Alternator, Starter, injectors, manifolds, flywheel, clutch, wiring loom, etc. So the old engine can be hoisted out and a new one goes in the same day.

Although a new engine might seem the more expensive option, it is a much lower labour content than dismantling an engine for machining and then reassembling it.

Also consider we pay just £899 for brand new crated Modeo/Zetec engine, so the engine is not necessarily that high to the manufacturer/Dealer if in 'bulk'.

The dealer will not entertain helping any customers outside of warranty unless all the Servicing and repair work for the vehicle has been carried out by them. Regardless of the servicing quality or parts used. As the warranty has expired, it is legal for them to do this.

With stuck Diesel Injectors becoming a growing issue on many vehicles, Mercedes amongst the long list, the way you service the vehicle should be given careful thought?

However, a service from us is £75 plus parts, for the Chassis, engine and Brakes. Not just an engine service. As we are a 'none franchised Dealer' means you need to decide your risk.

If you are interested in just how big a problem stuck injectors are, this web site is one of the best in showing the range of engines affected :

http://www.injectorsremovals.co.uk/

You will note rather a large number of Vauxhall/Nissan/Renault engines?

For an idea on costs, one page states :

Average £80 per Injector if it comes out in one go plus another £80 if it snaps on removal. Potentially £160 x 4 = £640

Injector removal from Fiat Ducato 3.0 EURO 5 engine

costs £120 each injector when they come out in one piece or £250 each when they need to be removed in parts = £1,000.

We don't know anything about this company above so no idea what they are like, but a local guy who 'guarantees' to get the Injector out doesn't always leave the engine usable!!

Just as Brian Kirby suggests, we would think that maintaining that Dealer 'after warranty Goodwill' from here on in might be worth spending extra money on pucker Manufacturer servicing?

I used to take my Lancashire to an independant garage with a good reputation (not cheap ) anyway the engine blew up half way to Great yarmouth, took it to them and after a couple of weeks (broke down on a bank holiday weekend) and they said that the rocker on the top of the engine and the bits got into the cylinder, now, I am no mechanic so had to beleive them they did show me a part that had bust, anyway,I was told to do 500 miles and then go back for the to make sure everything ok, 200 miles latter the same fault occurred just outside of Weston super mare on the M5

had it transported back to the garage got a load of waffle sent the top half of the engine off for a stress test (pity they didn't send me off for a stress test as well) I can't remember what the excuse was I feel the timing belt wasn't tightened properly but couldn't prove it, I would have liked the van examined but they could just say that they didn't agree, however I phoned for an update having not heard anything for three weeks and was told in no uncertain that, I wasn't a special customer and at no time did I Ever thing that I was.

I paid out over £3000.00 for repairs, I will never be a special customer now as I no longer use them, we no longer have the van as i had lost confidence in it.

Pete

Archived