leaking skylight

wiff2110

my Autotrail Arapaho has developed a water leak in the rear large skylight, its been resealed once last year but leak has returned, rather than pay another 150 quid I would like to fix myself, can anybody give me helpfull suggestions on doing this work..................thanx

I had a problem with a mini-heki in my motorhome. It was 2 years old, and a local dealer removed the heki and resealed it. All was well for 9 months and again a leak occured and in august this year I was in Germany and went back to the Frankia factory who removed and resealed the heki again.

All well, until another downpour whilst travelling showed water on the floor. All the leaks only happened during driving-so a Frankia dealer in Germany suggested the problem occured due to wind blowing in under the Solar panel in front of the Heki creating a sort of turbelance-so fitted a Fiamma window guard in front of the heki. So far even in driving rain -no water leak. Just a thought that you may have a similar problem.

Thank you for your message, guess I should have mentioned this leak also happens when its parked up, but it comes in from the leading edge of the skylight so maybe when driving into the wind it has tended to lift it.

Please tell me more, where did you purchase your item and how is it fitted?.........thanx.

wiff2110 - 2010-11-20 9:50 AM

Thank you for your message, guess I should have mentioned this leak also happens when its parked up, but it comes in from the leading edge of the skylight so maybe when driving into the wind it has tended to lift it.

Please tell me more, where did you purchase your item and how is it fitted?.........thanx.

I don't think there's a Fiamma 'spoiler' large enough for your motorhome's rooflight, but you may be able to obtain a suitable Dometic spoiler.

This is an earlier forum thread that may be useful:

HTTP://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=18094&posts=3

The 800mm and 1100mm-long versions are advertised towards the bottom of the following webpage:

http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/shopuk/dometic.htm

However, if your roof-light is leaking when the vehicle is parked, then fitting a spoiler is unlikely to solve the problem.

Assuming that the water is leaking through the skylight-to-roof joint, you MIGHT be able to stop it by running a substantial external bead of sealant all round where the base of the skylight meets the motorhome's roof. If that doesn't cure the leak, then the roof-light will need to be removed and resealed again.

Before contemplating a DIY fix I'd be tempted to contact whoever resealed the roof-light last year and ask them to inspect the skylight. Normally, if re-sealing has been done properly, a leak should not re-occur this quickly.

Archived