Air suspension

BadBob

I've just challenged the guy re fitting cost in relation to 'Airide' and he said he can install that product for me if I wanted it but promoted Dunlop because of it's superior quality. The kit cost would be much more expensive though???? As for the time it takes to install, he almost choked. He said to remove the springs and fixtures,check their condition, clean and waxoil the chassis, install the components, pressure test and give a comprehesive demo is not possible in 45 mins. He advised me to contact Airride for a quote.

BadBob - 2010-11-30 12:25 PM

As for the time it takes to install, he almost choked. He said to remove the springs and fixtures,check their condition, clean and waxoil the chassis, install the components, pressure test and give a comprehesive demo is not possible in 45 mins.

Bob,

You don't need to remove the springs to fit air suspension bellows! They simply bolt on above either the spring or axle tube depending on the make.

Our Dunlop system (for a Merc) has brackets which fit directly to the axle, inboard of the springs and below the chassis where the bump stop used to be.

I fitted the bellows to both sides in under 2 hours including finding tools and driving up onto the Fiamma blocks!!!

And as for a demo 2 minutes Max! You put an airline (or pump) on and Bob's your Uncle (No pun intended :D ).

Keith.

PS. Check the prices of kits from both companies and do your own comparison. Also any good garage should be able to fit the Dunlop kit with the very comprehensive instructions supplied.

I may've missed an earlier post..but I'm not sure just what "springs and fixtures" he's thinking of removing?...

If it's like mine(..and I can't see why it shouldn't be..)the top mount picks up the bump stop fixing holes and the lower mount is just a "saddle" which clamps to the axle...

True,it can be a bit awkward if just working off level low ramps..but "doable"...

(..although I'm not sure I'd want to be fitting 'em for a living at 45 quid a pop!?!)

Oops!..Keith beat me to it... :$

Edit: Are you sure this bloke hasn't got "full" air suspension in his mind?

Bob..Check out Marcle Leisure's website,as it shows full fitting instructions ..

Hi there Bob,

I fitted a set of Driverite Air Springs (same as Airide and Dunlop) to my Fiat 2.8 JTD Autotrail Cheyenne 634, not because the springs were sagging but because the overhang was bottoming when I reversed out of my driveway on to the main road. I also had problems on the ramps when boarding Ferries going to Europe. The difference they made to the Motorhome was quite spectacular, both in the handling and ground clearence. I was able to inflate to 30 psi with a small 12v compressor and this gave me all the clearence I needed to negoiate any of my previous problems. I only had them fitted for a short while, but long enough to really appreciate them. I then went and changed my Motorhome to a Mercedes Hymer A Class.

I have a complete set with fitting instructions including the air lines, for sale at half the cost of what you have been quoted if you are interested. They are very easily fitted by any amature DIY person and no drilling is necessary.

I am now looking for a set, preferably secondhand, for a Mercedes 316. If anyone out there knows of a set for sale please let me know.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards,

Star Line.

pepe63 - 2010-11-30 12:33 PM

I may've missed an earlier post..but I'm not sure just what "springs and fixtures" he's thinking of removing?...

If it's like mine(..and I can't see why it shouldn't be..)the top mount picks up the bump stop fixing holes and the lower mount is just a "saddle" which clamps to the axle...

True,it can be a bit awkward if just working off level low ramps..but "doable"...

(..although I'm not sure I'd want to be fitting 'em for a living at 45 quid a pop!?!)

Oops!..Keith beat me to it... :$

Edit: Are you sure this bloke hasn't got "full" air suspension in his mind?

Bob..Check out Marcle Leisure's website,as it shows full fitting instructions ..

I think you need to appreciate that what Bob has written in his posting may not be word-for-word what his engineer told him.

Clearly the vehicle's bump-stops will have to be removed and they must surely count as "fixtures".

It would be very unusual to need to remove the rear leaf-springs to fit the air-bellows units (in fact, the installation could not be completed with the springs removed) but, if the engineer wants to take off the springs to check their condition, clean/Waxoyl the chassis, etc. then good luck to him - it's his own time that's being spent doing such things. Besides which (as has already been suggested) fitting air-assistance to 12-year old springs if the springs are not in serviceable condition would be highly inadvisable.

If I remember correctly, a claimed advantage of the Dunlop system is that the complete air-bellows unit does not have to be discarded if the unit develops a fault, unlike the Firestone-made bellows used by Airride and Driverite. If I had to make a choice I'd go for the Dunlop product.

It's difficult to make a direct price comparison when labour-costs are included in the deal, but £495 for a properly installed Dunlop system doesn't sound outrageous to me. (If I had to do the job in winter, on somebody's driveway, I'd want to add a zero to the right-hand end of that figure!)

I note that AS Air Suspension UK markets a kit suitable for a 1998 Ducato for £595.68, including a 12V compressor. Also that MAD Helper springs are available at £263.16

Airide want £550 fitted, AS want £600 + fitting. I have to take the motorhome to them also. I've asked the guy to rework his quote based on all the great advice I have received and I haven't heard from him yet.

Forgot to mention that I can't possibly fit it myself.

Hope he gets back to me with a better price.

Bob

Derek Uzzell - 2010-11-30 5:18 PM

If I remember correctly, a claimed advantage of the Dunlop system is that the complete air-bellows unit does not have to be discarded if the unit develops a fault, unlike the Firestone-made bellows used by Airride and Driverite. If I had to make a choice I'd go for the Dunlop product.

Derek,

You're correct with this and it was one of the deciding factors in choosing the Dunlop system.

Bob,

If your 'man' doesn't come back with a better price then post your locality and perhaps someone can recommend a fitter near you.

Keith.

Guest pelmetman

Dont know where you are Bob, but Dave Newel fitted ours, he's in Shropshire, and there is an excellent camp site walking distance from his workshop :D

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I ought to update, after eating some humble pie I persuaded the engineer to revisit this job and we sat over a mugger and he explained thoroughly what he needed to do to install the system to my vehicle. He did say some installers would simply stick the bits on and ask for payment. He strongly believed that all components of the chassis and suspension be cleaned and inspected prior to installation and would rather lose an order than take short cuts. I was confident to place the order and after the snow cleared he fitted the system.

It's ace, I have a changeover valve with a guage so I can adjust each side individually and as stated on this thread, it makes a huge difference.

One very happy customer, trust him with the wife ha!

Thanks again everyone.

Bob

Archived