Easylifter Hydra Trail

Mike88

Has anyone got one of these for carrying a motor scooter?

http://www.easylifter.co.uk/hydra-trail.htm

I can't use a conventional carrier as I am unable to conform with relevant weight requirements. As this kind of wheeled rack is designed to take 85% of the weight I am thinking about buying one but would rather get the views of others before doing so.

Some downsides seem to be that the Easylifter is likely to be classified as a trailer so there will be increased ferry fees to consider and presumably there are speed issues; and a spare wheel will be required.

Hi I have one of these and they are well constructed and easy to use. Yes, they will be classed as atrailer but technically you could argue they are not as they do not articulate. This is the beauty of the design as you can reverse without worrying about the trailer folding in on your van. Yes you will probably need a spare wheel but we opted to put in puncture seal which should solve the problem. However, I will get a SWheel as a belt and braces approach to the problem. The whole thing comes apart quite easily and stores away but the individual parts are quite heavy which is a drawback. I think that although the scooter carrier rises and falls there is a market for those who would just like to load the bike up a ramp but the castor wheels would still be in place. The pantograph lifting system is quite a complex piece of engineering and a straight forward trailer with castors and the fixed junction on the towball would be half the price and have just as many advantages. I was going to mention this to Mike when I saw him at the next show.

Cheers........... Ned

In view of the number of recent posts regarding skimpy payloads, and the make/model of your van, I would check your actual laden weight, and laden rear axle load margin, at a weighbridge before going too far with this.

I assume it is the Hydra Trail model you are considering - the website link shows them all?  Remember, any weight from the Trail plus the scooter will be amplified, by leverage, at the rear axle.  Somewhere in your weight calculation must be the weight of the installed towbar, to which the Hydra Trail fixes.  Somewhere in your van you will also have to carry the "detachable" hydraulic lift - so a bit more weight - unless you merely want the scooter as an rear bumper ornament. :-)

It is unclear how this item will actually fix to a standard towbar.  From the claim that it can be mounted in 30 seconds, I assume it must mount to the towball, which is a single point fixing.  The platform has only a single castor, meaning it, and the scooter, are being held horizontal through whatever attachment is used at the towbar end.  It seems this may be some kind of clamp, so the agent will be friction alone.  That looks to me a big ask with a 200kg bike.

It is unlikely a scooter (or a motorbike) would ride with its centre of gravity coinciding with the towbar centre, so there will be a permanent torsion force applied to the towbar.  This will be amplified, from time to time, as the castor moves off centre to the towbar mounting.  So, although the 200kg claimed carrying capacity of the platform is impressive, and would place little actual downforce on the towbar, it seems to me it must impart substantial torsional forces onto the towbar that I suspect no towbar designer has ever considered, so will not have designed for.  Add that the whole thing will be subject to further dynamic torsion loads, and I can foresee a risk of stress fractures developing in the towbar and/or its mountings. 

I would want the comments of the towbar manufacturer (and, if relevant, the towball manufacturer with regard to adequacy of both the neck of the ball, and the mounting bolts) before assuming a device designed to tow a trailer is suitable to resist the kinds of forces that seem implied by this arrangement.

My final concern is that very small tyre, and its sufficiency for sustained high speeds.  I would want to know what speeds it is safe to subject that tyre to, at what pressure, and subject to what load.

The reason for my doubts is in the description of the Hydraulic rack, which also fits to a standard towbar and it is also claimed can also support 200kg.  There are relatively few normal towbars designed to take a downforce of 200+kg.  Many cars limit the load to 50kg, some 75kg, and even the venerable Land Rover Disco is limited to 250kg which (allowing for the leverage exerted by rearward offset of this device), it would seem a bike of that weight would be flirting with, before those unforeseen dynamic torsional forces get to work on the towbar mountings.  So, I would want a lot of questions answered first.  Good idea, but..............!

Brian their website picture is now well out of date, they have made quite a few modifications to it including an extra wheel, it now has two wheels one at either end of the platform. Mike if you belong to MHF forum go over their and have a look, there is a very large thread on these and general reports are favorable. I to am thinking of getting one as although my current rack is fine I want to go up to a 250cc scooter. The makers are very helpfull and if you telephone will give you any information you require. I was concered about the trailor bit but the opinion is no need to be, you cannot see it when you approach a toll booth on a toll road. At the ferry if you have an argument just remove the wheels on a temporary basis and drive on without them in place, you can replace them very quickly once on board. It does increase the length by a fair bit, 1.2mtrs. Incidently Brian, as Mike has said most of weight goes through wheels not the towbar.

HI,

Although much of what Brian has said cannot be disagreed with the assumption that the trailer has just one wheel is wrong in so far as Mike now makes the unit with two castor wheels. This has come about because, in practice, the wieght of a scooter is unevenly distributed because of the position of the engine and the transmission. His design has now been modified to have the two castors. The wieght is taken on the wheels and the cross loaded section and the download on the towball is only 35 Kg with my 125 honda on the trailer. Brian is correct in mentioning about the weight of the towbar unit as many people forget to take this into consideration. Your first port of call is to load up and go to a weighbridge and work everything out from there.

The two tyres are 8ply and rated for loads up to 350Kgs so well within the limit. The top speed should only be 60mph so they are also within the tolerance required as long as the bearings are well serviced on a regular basis. AS I said it is a well designed piece of kit,a bit pricey, but because it solves the perenial reversing problem well worth it.

I have contacted Eurotunnel and they class it as an extra length on the van not as a trailer. Don't know what the ferries think.

Keep em waxed........... Ned

Thanks to Brian and Ned.

There's a good YouTube video showing how it works here:

The scooter weighs 125kg and the rack I guess is around 50kg.

The Easylifter claim is that 85% of the weight of the scooter is supported by the rear wheel so the loading on the rear axle of the vehicle is negligible but will be checked. According to data from Swift I do have plenty of payload available on the rear axle. The figures I have been given are:

Maximum permissable rear axle loading: 2000kg

Empty - Front Axle 1505kg, Rear Axle 1167kg, Total 2672kg.

MRO (90% Fuel, Water and Gas + driver) - Front 1667kg, Rear 1269kg, Total 2935kg.

On this basis the rear axle should be able to comfortably support the proposed arrangement.

The Fiat towball limit is 100kg. I shall weigh the van loaded to check the above figures are correct.

One further point. I have Airrides fitted and, as my vehicle is a Panel Van, overhang is negligible thus reducing leverage.

I am concerned though by the fact that such a load is supported on one small wheel and will speak to the Easylifter people as well as receiving confirmation about the other points raised.

My concern is to ensure that I operate legally and do nothing to compromise the warranty.

If there are any other thoughts please let me know.

Are there any other users out there?

rupert123 - 2010-11-29 5:39 PM Brian their website picture is now well out of date, they have made quite a few modifications to it including an extra wheel, it now has two wheels one at either end of the platform.

Thanks Henry.  That sounds much better and safer!  Shame they've let the website get out of date.  One can only judge as one finds!

Incidently Brian, as Mike has said most of weight goes through wheels not the towbar.
  Agreed, but there must be some load back to the van and, with some folks' slim payloads, it just seemed worth mentioning.

Thanks all.

I wrote my last post before I had seen those from Rupert and Ned's second post stating that there are now 2 wheels; why can't Easylifter's website show the correct product? I am surprised that the trailer extends 1.2 metres beyond the rear of the vehicle.

If the Easylifter website is out of date and the rack/trailer has been re-designed I wonder whether the price has increased. I'll try to contact them tomorrow.

Mike88 - 2010-11-29 7:16 PM

Thanks all.

I wrote my last post before I had seen those from Rupert and Ned's second post stating that there are now 2 wheels; why can't Easylifter's website show the correct product? I am surprised that the trailer extends 1.2 metres beyond the rear of the vehicle.

If the Easylifter website is out of date and the rack/trailer has been re-designed I wonder whether the price has increased. I'll try to contact them tomorrow.

Mike they told me price remains the same but this was about a month ago. The platform has also been redesigned and is now in one piece. I spoke to SV tech about the rear axle as I am close on my limit with current setup, they would uprate my rear axle by 100kg if I had airides fitted so even if you are close you can easily upgrade the axle. From our experience over the last two years my wife and I are convinced a scooter on a rack is the way to go for a M/H, not sure how we ever did without for so long.

Thanks. I've read that thread very carefully - all 15 pages.

There are 3 issues for me to consider that don't seem to be fully answered by the MotorhomeFacts thread.

Firstly, there does not appear to be sufficient mounting points for strapping a scooter onto the rack; and

Secondly, what happens when you turn up on site? Most sites require you to reverse over a low kerb but it seems to me this could have a very bad effect on the wheel mechanism. So, do you offload the scooter in the road outside the pitch?

Finally, is it correct that the ground must be level in order to load the bike?

Finally, finally what is the cross channel ferry view of the Easylifter? Is it a trailer, rack or are you required to classify a 6 metre motorhome at 7metres for charging purposes?

Hi Mike,

Yes it does appear that there are limited fixing points for the scooter but Mike at easylifter will fit them where you want.

I can see your point about reversing over a low curb. However, because the castors are in effect being 'dragged' over the curb it doesn't seem to make too much difference. There has to be a limit as to how high the curb could be but common-sense should govern this. On one occasion I just put down my yellow ramps, or the wife did, and the wheels just drop of the back ;-) I can't answer your last question but with my experience on th ferries, they don't measure you accurately, or never have to me and the easylifter is so close to the van that you would be on and having a pint before they queried it.

Keep em waxed................ Ned

Does anybody know whether this company is still in existence? I've telephoned them on many occasions and sent them an e mail. Nothing, zilch and their website does not even show their latest products. Perhaps they have ceased trading!

Has anybody else managed to contact them recently?

A clever idea of using "castors" but watching that youtube video,to me it just doesn't seem "heavy" enough!..

There seems to much flex and all those pivots,shafts,bushes could(would!) end up wearing and causing loads of slop and rattles(..movement begets movement ;-) )

If it's going to be classed as a trailer(speeds,tolls etc)why not get a trailer?...at least that could be used to hold a "secure" box to carry some stuff in.

Chris

pepe63 - 2010-12-10 10:13 AM

A clever idea of using "castors" but watching that youtube video,to me it just doesn't seem "heavy" enough!..

There seems to much flex and all those pivots,shafts,bushes could(would!) end up wearing and causing loads of slop and rattles(..movement begets movement ;-) )

If it's going to be classed as a trailer(speeds,tolls etc)why not get a trailer?...at least that could be used to hold a "secure" box to carry some stuff in.

Chris

The latest one has 2 wheels so is more stable. I have looked at scooter trailers but I don't want anything too long and the shorter one's are impossible to reverse. The only other option - and the one I'm leaning towards - is the EZETOW but the maker is unavailable.

• 2 months later...
For anyone interested an update on the Hydra Trail. I have been thinking about one of these for a long time as we wish to carry a 250cc scooter and with our current setup this is impossible. I spoke to them yesterday at the NEC and had a look at the latest model. It now looks a very well engineered product and various modifications have been made, the latest version is now on their website. If anything it is probaby over engineered, all components are now pretty substancial. The obvious changes are, now comes with two wheels, platform is one piece, extra fixing points for additional straps if required including some extentions so you can fit handle bar straps. The jack now has an adjustable arm so extra lift can be obtained if required. I reckon I will buy one now, my only reservation is the amount of swing behind the rear wheels which even with my current rack I have to be very carefull with. The extra length of the Hydratrail, it adds 1.2 to van length, will add just over half a mtr. to my total length, all behind the rear wheels.

rupert123 - 2011-02-25 4:25 PM

The extra length of the Hydratrail, it adds 1.2 to van length, will add just over half a mtr. to my total length, all behind the rear wheels.

Thanks for that and its good to see their website has been updated. But I don't understand how a 1.2m side loading rack only adds 0.5m to total length? There must be an explanation but I don't get it.

Presumably the bearing failure issues have now been resolved. The cost is £1074 which is expensive but the engineering has to be paid for. There doesn't seem to be a spare wheel. You could use Ultraseal I guess or carry a spare inside the vehicle if there is room.

The alternative is the EZETOW at £895. This looks more robust with less to go wrong. The wheels and tyres look more substantial on the EZETOW.

Link here:

http://www.ezetow.co.uk/scooter.htm

rupert123 - 2011-02-25 4:25 PM For anyone interested an update on the Hydra Trail. I have been thinking about one of these for a long time as we wish to carry a 250cc scooter and with our current setup this is impossible. I spoke to them yesterday at the NEC and had a look at the latest model. It now looks a very well engineered product and various modifications have been made, the latest version is now on their website. If anything it is probaby over engineered, all components are now pretty substancial. The obvious changes are, now comes with two wheels, platform is one piece, extra fixing points for additional straps if required including some extentions so you can fit handle bar straps. The jack now has an adjustable arm so extra lift can be obtained if required. I reckon I will buy one now, my only reservation is the amount of swing behind the rear wheels which even with my current rack I have to be very carefull with. The extra length of the Hydratrail, it adds 1.2 to van length, will add just over half a mtr. to my total length, all behind the rear wheels.

You always said 'if you want to tow, get a caravan'. Still, you're slowly coming round.

Mike88 - 2011-02-25 5:09 PM

rupert123 - 2011-02-25 4:25 PM

The extra length of the Hydratrail, it adds 1.2 to van length, will add just over half a mtr. to my total length, all behind the rear wheels.

Thanks for that and its good to see their website has been updated. But I don't understand how a 1.2m side loading rack only adds 0.5m to total length? There must be an explanation but I don't get it.

Presumably the bearing failure issues have now been resolved. The cost is £1074 which is expensive but the engineering has to be paid for. There doesn't seem to be a spare wheel. You could use Ultraseal I guess or carry a spare inside the vehicle if there is room.

The alternative is the EZETOW at £895. This looks more robust with less to go wrong. The wheels and tyres look more substantial on the EZETOW.

Link here:

http://www.ezetow.co.uk/scooter.htm

Mike my current rack sticks out just over half a meter so I meant it would add 1.2 mtr to the van length without any rack. Price has gone up but a lot better now, spare wheel with tyre is £20. I have looked at the Ezetow and cannot agree it is more robust, another thing is the wheels are behind the rack, not underneath as on the Hydra, so more weight on the rear axle.

Archived