roof rack for kayak

antony1969

Tony, that was the funniest comment on here for a long time :D

Anyway, back to topic, it's going to be a fair old lift to get a kayak up on to the roof, but I saw a Hymer over in Germany with an electric lift fitted to the rails on the roof and back, it lifted a huge luggage box up and down.

I'll see if I can find any info.

There are usually 2nd hand rails for sale on ebay.

As an alternative, when we go off in the van down to anywhere we can go surfing, we strap the 7ft board ACROSS the bike rack and the 9ft board VERTICAL to the rack, resting on the towbar. That might work, depending on the length and weight of your kayak.

Donna , thanks for reply , surf kayak is fairly lightweight so not a problem to get up onto roof really , We also have surf boards and have thought of strapping to bike rack , you got any pics on how you manage to do that safely and without the fuzz locking you up forever and chucking the key

Guest JudgeMental
There is a product that would suit but I cant find it....You can buy self adhesive pads that work a bit like the tool that glaziers use to carry glass? then use straps to secure load...Failing that I would glue some roof bars up there

Thanks Kevina , have seen some telescopic lightweight ladders actually that would probably fit in one of lockers , cost i think about 70 quid . Pardon my lack of knowledge on fitting roof bars but what fittings have you used and I presume it has not damaged integrity of roof etc

Hi Antony,

How about asking the guys at the Auto-Trail Factory Service Centre in Grimsby what they would charge to fit a roof rack and ladder to your Miami. After all they should know the locations of suitable mounting points better than anyone else.

They may even be able to suggest an alternative way to carry your Kayak.

Keith.

Hi Antony

No info regarding cost of Rack & Ladder for your Aurotrail, (can't selectoptions on their website) but for a price indication Swift site shows Roof Rack / Rear Ladder combined price just under £600 fitted (incl VAT) althouth this may increase with the VAT rate change in January.

I can see the logic why Swift don't supply Roof Rack without the Ladder.

But IMO contact a Autotrail dealer (or their factory) regarding fitting to ensure the correctmounting points for both Rack & Ladder.

Archived