did the severe cold cause damage

duetto owner

my transit duetto lay idle over the last 3 weeks during the cold snap.

yesterday found the remote fobs would not work, the radio had lost its keycode. and the reversing camera now works all the time not in reverse only.

after driving to a garage with the alarm going [unable to turn off as no signal on the fobs] also passed a parked up police car they ignored the alarm surprised they never stopped me to check if i had stolen the MH.

anyway on arrival at the garage the fobs now worked they said the engine compartment had warmed up and it could now get the signals from the fob. still searching for my radio number.

Have not used my Motorhome for a good couple of months now but I do run the engine every couple of weeks. Cleared off the ice and snow yesterday and it started no problems, alarm and key fobs worked okay and no signs of any problems on the interior (damp, ice etc). Am going away in it for 5 days next week so will get a chance to give it a decent run and try everything out.

We have a 2008 Duetto and were using it the day before yesterday without any problems at all. It does sound as if your perticular model suffered as a result of the cold; have you had anything added to the basic spec which might have been affected?

In the past we have been in our Duetto when it was cold enough to freeze the water pipes under the vehicle, even with us in it and the heater running all the time. However there were no starting, or alarm problems.

duetto owner - 2010-12-23 9:02 AM

still searching for my radio number.

David,

If you can't find your radio code send me a pm and I'll email you a small programme that will find it out from the radio serial number. You'll need to pull the radio out of the dash to find the serial number but then it'll save you paying a dealer to find the code.

Keith.

Keithl

I would be amazed if your program works with a MK7 Transit. I have such a utility and it works OK with radios that have an "M" prefix for the serial number. MK7 Transits use a radio with a "V" prefix and these are a Ford only job to get the code. :-(

Edited to change suffix to prefix ... Doh!

It sounds like your battery has drained quite a lot and the low voltage has caused the problems. Unfortunately, it may have drastically shortened your engine battery life.

Can you not put a dash-mounted solar panel in your van while it is stored? It will not put much in but should prevent or extend the time it takes your alarm etc. to pull down your battery.

Your fob might have failed to work on the low battery voltage but it could also have been frozen door locks.

Your reversing camera fault is an odd one but again, if it is a mechanically operated switch, it could be due to the extreme weather.

There is a known fault with the Transit Mk7 key fobs. It is not subject to a recall, Ford have told their dealers that it is the subject of customer complaint only. So it would be wise to get your dealer to check it under warranty.

I had a problem, told the dealer and they changed the key fob, so I know about the problem first hand.

Also and just as important is the fact that the Ford key fob does NOT have a replaceable battery. It works by charging itself up when in the ignition. Mine, even with the replaced fob will not work after3-4 weeks. So I unlock manually, reset the alarm which then goes off, start the engine and within 1/2 mile all is ok. I have deliberately stopped after the 1/2 mile to check the key fob.

Hope this helps

Regards Mike

thanks for all the replies, had no other problems, still got the enhanced reversing camera working when going forward very handy as i have limited rear view, fobs working ok now, dealer unable to give me the radio code so i will have to hunt out the original paperwork when i have a free moment been told it might be in the rear of the ford manual.

Someone may have helpfully stuck a sticker inside the cover of your audio system handbook.  It will contain three pieces of information: Unit Type, Serial Number, and Key Code.  Alternatively, in the Ford handbook folder there should be a plastic card (credit card size) with the "Ford" logo on one side on a blue background, and the same information printed on the other side of the card, which is white.

However, if the radio has lost its keycode it would normally indicate the starter battery had been disconnected, or was flat.  You also said the alarm wouldn't cancel, presumably because the key fob had lost charge.  If it is a Ford alarm system, that is probably simply because, as stated above, the key has been out of the ignition for too long.  Otherwise, since most aftermarket alarms draw current from the starter battery, that, too, would seem to indicate a flat battery.  I'm therefore a bit surprised the van actually started.

It therefore seems feasible the cold, more probably condensation, has caused a problem by interfering with some of the electronic interfaces, also causing the camera to malfunction.  I think it may be wise to get that investigated more thoroughly, because bits of electronics that develop minds of their own can later decide to play with some other aspect of the van's computerised controls, possibly with more serious consequences.  If the battery had retained sufficient charge to start the engine from somewhere below 0oC, after it had stood for 3 weeks unused, I don't think your other problems should have arisen at all.  Sommat's up!  :-)

duetto owner - 2010-12-25 8:44 PM

found my radio key in the paperwork today so the radio is ok, but another odd think i have is a chirpy noise as i drive along as if there is a canary nesting in the dashboard.

would this mean low battery, or be alarm related has a cobra alarm.

Speak to the alarm installer.

D.

duetto owner - 2010-12-25 8:44 PM

found my radio key in the paperwork today so the radio is ok, but another odd think i have is a chirpy noise as i drive along as if there is a canary nesting in the dashboard.

would this mean low battery, or be alarm related has a cobra alarm.

I think the 1st thing I would do is disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes and reconnect so everything reinitialises and resets. This might resolve your problems.

• 3 weeks later...

"chirpy noise as i drive along as if there is a canary nesting in the dashboard".

Well sorted now, noise was a flat battery inside the fire alarm, had every stumped who looked at it except the alarm engineer who saw it straight away.

thanks for all that posted offering help

Hi, I beleive that a few years ago, thieves who acquired car radios used to put them in the deep freeze for 24 hours so the the magic code was defaulted to a known condition (all 0000) and then they could easily be flogged on.. Never tried it myself, but could the cold snap have caused these problems referred to in this thread ????

tonyg3nwl

Archived