Taxing camper early?

davew

derek pringle - 2011-01-01 10:51 AM Robinhood, Sorry but not sure. I went to the local main P.O where I used to go before taxing online. As others I taxed for just 6 months knowing I was likely to be around when the tax was next due. Must say I was in and out of the DVLA office quicker than I would probably be in the P.O. derek

It's very possible that it was not one of the designated offices then. (Nottingham main PO, for example, is the only one in Nottinghamshire).

The restriction is probably associated with your comment on the two-week advance period within which others are supplied with replacement discs.

I must admit that if I was making a special journey, I would probably target the DVLA office, rather than a PO - but if I happened to be in the centre of Nottingham (Sheriff permitting ;-) ) I'd have a go at the PO there. 

Keith T - 2010-12-31 6:30 PM

I changed the date of the Tax disc last year so that it would clear the time when we would be away, and just took the old one in for a refund and got a new one from teh start of teh following month - our local PO still does Vehicle discs.

This year I may have a problem with the Mot though - this is due on 11th July, and we normally go off to france mid-May and come back to Uk around 15th July... - I assume that onlyway wil lbe to forgo a month (maybe 2) of the MOT?

Any other ways round this one??

According ot the DVLA website (see link below) you can renew your MOT certificate up to 1 month before it is due to expire, and it then doesn't come into force until that remaining month has expired, so if you did it at the beginning of May, it could actually not come into force until the beginning of June, so it appears you'd lose most of June and the bit of July. You'll need to double check with DVLA though to be safe as its not clear what happens if it it over a month before your current MOT expires - it might actually totally wipe out the remaining MOT and come into force immediately.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/DG_4022108

Don't forget that a MOT is not just a requirement by law, it is also a time when various things are checked for legality and also safety, so it might be prudent to get it done earlier in case they find anything so it can be resolved and not delay your holiday anyway - if you ask them to have a really good check of a few other bits and pieces too whilst they are at it, being proactive, rather than reactive, it may prevent you having problems whilst away.

:-)

Mel B - 2011-01-01 1:04 PM

According to the DVLA website you can renew your MOT certificate up to 1 month before it is due to expire...

You'll need to double check with DVLA though to be safe as its not clear what happens if it it over a month before your current MOT expires - it might actually totally wipe out the remaining MOT and come into force immediately.

Mel,

You answered your own question with the statement "up to 1 month early".

If you get it tested before the 1 month allowed then it becomes a 'new' MOT and will cancel the old one, you cannot 'keep' the expiry date as when testing 'within the month'.

Having said that it will be Keith T's only option to avoid driving without a valid certificate.

HTH,

Keith L.

Keithl - 2011-01-01 1:35 PM

Mel B - 2011-01-01 1:04 PM

According to the DVLA website you can renew your MOT certificate up to 1 month before it is due to expire...

You'll need to double check with DVLA though to be safe as its not clear what happens if it it over a month before your current MOT expires - it might actually totally wipe out the remaining MOT and come into force immediately.

Mel,

You answered your own question with the statement "up to 1 month early".

If you get it tested before the 1 month allowed then it becomes a 'new' MOT and will cancel the old one, you cannot 'keep' the expiry date as when testing 'within the month'.

Having said that it will be Keith T's only option to avoid driving without a valid certificate.

HTH,

Keith L.

Not quite Keith, what I meant was, if you can get it tested up to 1 month early, even though it would be 2 months early in effect (and I know you can't do it for that far in advance and still keep the existing expiry date for the original MOT), whether they would still allow you to retain 1 month of your existing MOT before your 'new' MOT came into place and followed on from there. I suspect your interpretation is right, but it is worth asking the question nonetheless. :-S

Hi Dave our tax runs out end of Sept and as we head off for 8 weeks we have to tax at our local DVLA office in Newcastle. The post office did it the first year with no problems but then decided because we were over 3.5 ton we would have to go to local office. Fill the form in and write a short letter explaining you are out the country and no problems getting the new disk, just remember to change your disk on returning to UK. (lol)

So I went to the Post Office, as advised by the DVLA, And they said their computer wouldn't let them cancel the old and give me a new tax disc and I would have to go to a DVLA office.

No problem as I was passing the Leeds DVLA office anyway I called in and, apart from the fact there was a long queue, the whole process was quick and simple.

I told them that I wanted my disc to be from 1st Jan and handed the old one over with my V5 (log book) and the DLA form and insurance cert. I was given a number and asked to sit in another queue (for about 10 mins) and was then issued with a new tax disc from 1st Jan.

Now all I have to do is arrange the insurance renewal early and we we can get off for sunnier places. Might have to dig the 'van out of the snow 1st though!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

I was the OP on the thread and undertook to respond with the outcome. We're off to Spain on Monday and tax runs out end of Feb.

I eventually received the DLA exemption certificate (after a couple of phone calls). Wife went to local village PO who tax our vehicles armed with Log Book (vehicle taxation class is disabled), MOT and insurance certificate.

There was no problem the PO lady checked the paperwork and issued her with a new tax disc that runs from the end of January. I don't know if this is wrong or what - as we have two tax discs running through February. What I know is that I'm displaying a correct tax disc (the old one until March) and the new one from March and the number plate recognition cameras should be happy.

So in the end it wasn't a problem at all.

Thanks

Thanks for posting the outcome.

I'm surprised (and said previously) that they issued you with a concurrent disc (given all the issues around untaxed and cloned vehicles), but your experience has obviously proven my doubts wrong.

Glad you got it sorted, have a good break in Spain!

Archived