Disconnecting battery

JENIAN

The Duetto tranny is in secure CASSOA gold parking. I have disconnected the Chassis/engine battery because it will be laid up for 2 months and it tended to flatten when stood for long periods. The battery is 1 year old. It as a cat.1 alarm fitted. Any problems when reconnecting please??

Guest JudgeMental
I dont think a very good idea..... what happens if there was a fire on the premises and your van needed moving? :-S

Your Cat 1 alarm will be powered from the engine battery s oby disconnecting it you have effectively disconnected the alarm, I doubt your insurers will be happy with this for a start. You may also encounter problems with your key not operating central locking and you can expect the engine performance to be tame until it has covered quite a few miles and re-learned the necessary settings. you might well encounter other issues if you didn't follow the necessary procedure for disconnecting a vewhicle battery.

D.

Cannot get to van till mid Feb now, Van is stored undercover so the Solar panel (fitted last year, 40w) cannot help with a trickle charge. When I leave the van at storage it is started up every week but I do not know how long it is left running??? I always turn the master switch off for the habitation side and remove the front of the radio. The van is not locked when in storage so alarm not armed due to heavy steel exbarn sliding doors. I check the interior lights before leaving it. The van as only refused to start mid December since new battery fitted in March 2010 and after been left in storage for six weeks?

Thanks again all for advise.

Ian

JENIAN - 2011-01-08 3:38 PM

The van is not locked when in storage so alarm not armed due to heavy steel exbarn sliding doors.

So is it inside a barn?

If so a solar panel will be of little or no use.

Edit, Sorry just re-read your post :$

• 1 month later...

Connected Battery yesterday and it started with no problem at all. Took it for a 40mile trip and, yes, it was slightly sluggish at first, but was back to normal within 10mls. Will now have Isolator fitted for the next time it is going to be left for a few weeks. Thanks again all and especially Dave Newall for reassuring me by Phone on the best way to reconnect it.

Best regards

Ian

Archived