trackers

derek pringle

Hi,

My insurance company is insisting I fit a Pro Active tracker to our new motorhome when it arrives in order to offer me insurance. I know I could change companies but they were competitive when I joined them with the last van. Any hints or recommendations on which one to look at.We do most of our travelling in Europe.

Yearly subs also need to figure.

thanks in anticipation

derek

Hi Derek, 2 years agowhen we changed van insurance insisted on a Tracker, I went with Phantom took a 5 year package £800. Up to now fairly pleased on the 3 occasions I have tested them by leaving it on when I moved twice in the uk and once in Germany they contacted me by phone within half an hour. Barrie

We got ours from http://www.outsmart-the-thief.com/ tel: 08702606060

Very reasonable price and they installed on our premises.

We have managed to set the alarm of on several occasions - always on our own drive for some reason. Each time the alarm has been tripped the response has been immediate and even though it was our fault every time they are always polite and courteous.

Nice folk to deal with - I have no involvement with the company but would happily recommend them.

Frankkia - 2011-01-10 10:54 PM

We have managed to set the alarm of on several occasions - always on our own drive for some reason. Each time the alarm has been tripped the response has been immediate and even though it was our fault every time they are always polite and courteous.

Nice folk to deal with - I have no involvement with the company but would happily recommend them.

I have had exactly the same expererience with this company, including accidently triggering the alarm. They contacted me before I managed to cancel the alarm on 2 occasions, once in France and once in Spain. The bonus with this system is they can remotely stop the vehicle.

I have had exactly the same expererience with this company, including accidently triggering the alarm. They contacted me before I managed to cancel the alarm on 2 occasions, once in France and once in Spain. The bonus with this system is they can remotely stop the vehicle.

Thank you, keep them coming.

Insured with Saga for last van 1st yr and whilst they did not insist on tracker the premium was high, nearly half the price of the basic tracker(not inc. subs).

Policy of this company is over 50k you need a tracker. Thought that difference in premium could go partway towards tracker which I suppose is not a bad thing to have.Also, I did have a cat 1 alarm fitted to last van and wondered if tracker would negate the need for same.

cheers

derek

Same here - whenever the alarm goes off, (a few times now, over a couple of years), they always contact us immediately by phone - and if they can't get you on the home phone, they keep trying all other mobile numbers until they get you.

Brom

Having read all the replies, and changing our van in March to an AutoTrail Apache, I decided to ring up our Insurance company(SafeGuard) to see what they require. They require a Thatcham approved Alarm, or a Tracker. They give 10% off for either or 15% for both, so not as much discount as some of the Tracker adverts quote.. But I find the Company very good, and they aslo include European breakdown and recovery in the price..

Caddies104 - 2011-01-11 4:56 PM  They require a Thatcham approved Alarm, or a Tracker. They give 10% off for either or 15% for both, so not as much discount as some of the Tracker adverts quote.

If they "require" an alarm or tracker to quote, just exactly what are they providing a 10% or 15% discount on?

The question isn't meant to be a wind-up, having just re-let my insurance for my 'van, I found a number of firms wouldn't quote without an alarm or a tracker, but I've gone with one who would.

I'm intrigued as to how they reckon there is a discount, when they won't quote without the alarm/tracker.    

Personally I wouldn't have a tracker fitted, however we do have an alarm as at least we can set that when we are in the van (ie overnight) if we want. A tracker would only be 'activated' if the 'van was moved wouldn't it?

I find it hard to believe that the difference in quotes with and without a tracker will go anywhere near to covering the cost of the tracker installation and on-going costs.

I'd suggest ringing round some other companies and seeing what they will quote for insurance. We're with Safeguard for our second year now, you'll usually find that insurance companies will give you a good quote if you switch to them for the first year, but it disappears in the subsequent years, Safeguard matched the quote we got elsewhere, hence why we're still with them.

Hi

Out of interest, does anyone know if the theif has a mobile phone blocker will the system be completely inactive - if I was sellecting a motorhome (or any high spec/cost vehicle) to steal I would go fully armed with such a system, possible with uprated power output. A theif is not going to be concerned whether or not such equipment is legal to be used. Obviously the vehicle would subsequently be checked for tracking equipement once stored away in a mobile signal free zone.

Am I assumming too much, that organised criminals think before they act.

Hi ,

Just to clarify. First, bought a bessacarr 630 59 reg new and insured with Saga.

When renewal was due it was expensive, shopped around and Caravanguard came in an awful lot cheaper, we did by the way have a thatcham1 alarm fitted but not as a requirement of the Insurance company. We have now disposed of the 630 and are awaiting delivery of the 660. When I contacted Caravanguard to suspend or cancel our policy I was given what I thought was a very competitive quote but was told that beacause the van was over 50k£ it had to have a tracker fitted.

Like I have said I could probably go elsewhere (and I will shop around and take advice from this forum) but thought that if I save money on the premium it go towards a tracker. Not a prob if the van was under 50k--silly isnt it. Also asked to just insure for 50k but no can do.

Really appreciate the comments and the recommendations

cheers

derek

Archived