After market radios for X2/50 retaining steering wheel remote controls

Dave Newell

Hi all, just a note to say that today I discovered it is possible to fit after market radio/CD units from many of the better manufacturers to X2/50 base vehicles and retain the steering wheel remote control features via an interface cable. So if anyone wants to replace the standard radio to get around the 20 minute cutoff period it is possible to fit one from the likes of Sony, Kenwoo, JVC etc and still have the use of the remote control functions.

D.

Hi Dave

Do you have a solution to the Digital switchover.

AFAIK the vast majority of in-car Radio's are Analogue & will be obsolete when the switchover happens.

Do you know if / how will the Digital radio's will overcome switching from one Mast to another whilst travelling. Will it require stopping and searching for programmes (Same as with a Digital TV)from another mast ?

These appears to be grey areas at present &  my local sources seems to skirt around the subject, often with differing opinions. Some saying the Radio's will search automatically when signal from one mast is lost & others saying you will need to perform a manual search to pick up the signal from a "new" area mast.

colin - 2011-01-11 7:24 PM Digital switch over is still a few years off for radio, the present RDS system switches between frequencies as you move around so I would hope any new system would as well.

AIUI, DAB transmits multiplexes on the same frequency from every transmitter, and incorporates technology to cope with perceived "multipath" reception. Hence there is no need to retune (as RDS does) as different transmitters come into range.

Certainly, the DAB radio in my car copes with long journeys seamlessly (unless it loses the DAB signal altogether, at which point it switches, where it can, to the same station on FM).  

Hey guys, I started this thread to let people know that there is a solution to the 20 minute cutoff that retains remote control operation from the steering wheel buttons, could we please stick to the subject?

If you have questions regarding digital radio reception could you not start a new thread?

D.

• 1 month later...

Hi Dave, having trawled the internet I had just come to the conclusion that those were the two bits I needed for my new radio.

It's great to have that confirmed, though, so thanks very much :-D :-D

It might be worth mentioning that the new radio has to support steering wheel controls; not all do.

PS - I so agree about the tangents that some forum users go off on, I've lost count of the number of threads that started off useful and then turned into a rant-fest about anything but the OP >:-) >:-)

Actually, I've got a bit confused now! The lead I thought I wanted was called a 29-666 :$

What's the difference between a standard and a multiplex loom? And which one would my early 2010 Boxer have?

PS - This thread looks a bit like Crufts (lol) (lol) (lol)

Standard loom is the previous generation of Boxer/Ducato/Relay. X2/50 generation uses CAN BUS communication, sometimes also referred to as multiplex.

The Autoleads adapters will not enable the steering wheel remote controls on all after market radios, only those from the bigger named brands that have a wired remote control facility.

D.

Thanks, I understand about the head unit, as my old Sony CDX-GT200 does not support steering wheel control, so that's on ebay, and I've ordered a Sony CDX-GT540UI that does support it.

I just wanted to clarify the interface leads, as they seem to cost half as much as the radio in some places 8-)

oldlowie - 2011-02-16 7:01 PM Actually, I've got a bit confused now! The lead I thought I wanted was called a 29-666 :$ What's the difference between a standard and a multiplex loom? And which one would my early 2010 Boxer have? PS - This thread looks a bit like Crufts (lol) (lol) (lol)[/quote

Who,s going off post now then!

John Francis Ware - 2011-02-17 4:36 PM

Does the after fit kit retain the steering wheel control on standard 08 Peugeot chassis - ie non X2/50?

The X2/50 was introduced in 2006 (the current shape). If your 'van is on an 08 plate I would say it was an X2/50, unless you got a really old one off the shelf! 8-)

• 2 months later...
Dave Newell - 2011-01-12 8:45 AM

Hi Roly, you need two items, they are:

Autoleads pc99-x29 (CAN bus interface)

Autoleads pc99-SON (Sony specific lead)

I purchased the Autoleads mentioned above and tried to retro fit a Sony GT35U to my 2008 Peugeot Boxer.

The radio has a jack plug connection for steering controls.

Despite connecting and reconnecting several times the radio works fine but the steering controls do not function other than if you press one of the search buttons the radio switches off. I really would like to have my steering controls working as this a great radio.

The steering controls were working when I removed the factory fitted radio.

Can anyone suggest what might be wrong.

Thanks, Bob

Guest JudgeMental

Can I drift of topic now I wonder......

I had an alarm fitted to my new Adria x250 van last week and chap fitted a radio as well (Alpine with bluetooth very nice)

Unfortunately ignition needs to be on for radio to work. What can I do to remedy this? feed it from leisure battery? what do you think the best way to deal with this please.... (I have no steering wheel controls)

JudgeMental - 2011-04-30 10:28 AM

I had an alarm fitted to my new Adria x250 van last week and chap fitted a radio as well (Alpine with bluetooth very nice)

Unfortunately ignition needs to be on for radio to work. What can I do to remedy this? feed it from leisure battery? what do you think the best way to deal with this please.... (I have no steering wheel controls)

All new radios have a cross-connection so that, using the same leads, they can be wired as ignition or non-ignition. Take a look at the handbook/installation manual; you need to pull the radio out of the dash, change over red and yellow wires, and shove it back in again.

I'm a bit surprised that your installer didn't ask you how you wanted to use your radio *-)

Bang on topic, by the way (lol)

Guest JudgeMental
oldlowie - 2011-04-30 7:54 PM

JudgeMental - 2011-04-30 10:28 AM

All new radios have a cross-connection so that, using the same leads, they can be wired as ignition or non-ignition. Take a look at the handbook/installation manual; you need to pull the radio out of the dash, change over red and yellow wires, and shove it back in again.

I'm a bit surprised that your installer didn't ask you how you wanted to use your radio *-)

Bang on topic, by the way (lol)

He was very reluctant...Just kept mumbling on about a flat battery. Is a radio that significant a battery draw?

• 2 months later...

I have a 2011 Boxer based motorhome & have replaced the radio with a JVC KW-AVX640 double din radio head unit. I am trying to get the steering wheel remote buttons to work & have purchased Autoleads PC99-X29 and PC99-JVC but have been unable to get the buttons working. I have followed the instructions supplied with the unit to the letter without success.

Any ideas? The remote buttons work on the original radio (FIAT 250 CD unit).

Thanks

Brian

rolyk - 2011-07-23 8:57 AM

I recently installed the Autoleads with a Sony radio and it worked fine. Apparently there was a bad batch of leads and yours may have been one of them. Have a look at this thread on another forum -

http://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t296-changing-the-radio

Thanks for the link, I saw that recently too. It was the apparent success of owners on that thread that encouraged me to buy the leads in question. I was hoping that my leads (bought within the last 2 weeks) would not be affected by that problem. I don't suppose anyone knows how to differentiate between the good & faulty ones (apart from the obvious, 'good' ones work. 'faulty' ones don't)?

Judge - modern radios can can have quite a draw on the battery even switched off. The new ones with blue tooth and USB etc are more like a computer than a radio and whilst they have power they use it. My brother fitted one and I wired it together with the yellow (constant supply) lead and it flattened his battery in a few days.

I bought a LIdl special radio - nice bit of kit for very little money and wired it in to our x250 via a switch and cable direct (via a fuse) to the vehicle battery. The switch is of the illuminated type so I can see that it is live. When not in use it is powered off - The yellow lead is still live so that the memory and lights still work but the main unit is isolated. This method gets round the powering off with the ignition.

Archived