Ireland in the Spring

Symbol Owner

We are thinking of touring Eire for a couple of weeks in May/June - which we have never done in a motor home before. We will probably take the ferry from Fishguard to Rosslaire and drive west towards Kerry before turning North for the Burren (Co. Clare)- to explore on foot and catch the wildflowers in their full glory.

Anyone with any experience of this area? We would like to know:

- Any recommendations for campsites?

- Do they have the equivalent of C.L.s in Eire?

- Is wild camping allowed/acceptable as in parts of Scotland?

Any useful tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Colin

If you write to the Irish Tourist Board they will send you a book of sites :-D We have only done Ireland with a caravan and car starting from DunLogaire we made for Tralee and the Dingle peninsula. If I remember right when we hired a cottege near the Shannon we went to the Burren its facinating all that rock with wild flowers growing in all the cracks, its a lovely place to visit ! not sure about CLs but there are lots of Campsites you might find wild camping places maybe someone will come on and tell you.

Hi Colin

We visited this area in ugust last year and had a great time. We stayed at Nagle's Campsite in Doolin, a great site with excellent facilities. It is beside the harbour from where you can take day trips, or longer , to the Arran Isles and Cliffs of Moher and it is an easy drive to the Burren. The site is comparitively expensive by UK standards, I think it was 25€ per night for a motorhome and 2 adults plus 1€ for a shower, but, by Irish standards this was good value for money. The site is about 3/4 mile from Doolin village which has some excellent pubs serving good food and normally live music. There is another campsite in the village centre but this did not look so good. A word of warning- if you go to the Burren, go via the coaast road from Galway, not via Lisdonvarnagh, that is a terrible, narrow road in shocking condition, the coast road by comparison is brilliant with plenty of places to stop and explore the Burren- enjoy

Bob

If you go near Bunratty don't forget to go into "Durty Nellies" it's a pub with a fantastic atmosphere and great food with live Irish folk music in the evenings. Many a lock in was had there by me and business pals. Bunratty itself is an old Irish folk village and the castle is worth a look.

I used to visit this place a lot in my last job as we had a plant nearby in Shannon. Always my favourite overseas business trip.

Enjoy yourself and the Guinness is great. :D

Guest JudgeMental
peter - 2011-01-17 9:17 PM

And the food! :-D Had some excellent meals on a tour of the West...wonderful food, better then France! *-)

When over the west, call at 'Mannix Point' caravan park at Carichaveen, lovely view looking out over Valentia island , great 'Bunkhouse' with Peat fire and Irish Folk music and plenty of 'Craic'.

And say 'Hello' to 'Fungee' the Dolphin in Dingle harbour (he must be ready to collect his pension soon ?) Enjoy the 'Real Guiness' too. (if you can get a mortgage !). 8-) Ray

peter - 2011-01-17 9:17 PM

If you go near Bunratty don't forget to go into "Durty Nellies" it's a pub with a fantastic atmosphere and great food with live Irish folk music in the evenings. Many a lock in was had there by me and business pals. Bunratty itself is an old Irish folk village and the castle is worth a look.

I used to visit this place a lot in my last job as we had a plant nearby in Shannon. Always my favourite overseas business trip.

Peter,

I used to travel across the South in my job too, I used to fix 'early' Electrontic printers at Shannon Airport and the 'duty free' village, and all the textile factories back across to Dublin. We ALWAYS took in a stop at 'Durty Nellies' (i have a 'jug' of 'Honeymoon juice' from there...a type of honey mead !!) for the 'Craic'. All this was in the 70's hope it hasn't changed. :-D Ray

Thanks to all of you for your prompt replies.This thread seems to be becoming an 'old geezers' reminiscence page! 'Old Oireland' seems to do that to people!

Maggy -- thanks for that -- the Irish Tourist Board site and www. discover ireland.ie/ have turned up a number of useful-looking sites.

Bob- we went to the Burren by car -- staying in a cottage at Fanore --in 2004, sailing to the Aran Islands from Doolin -- so your feedback is very welcome -- thanks.

Ray -- you happen to have answered queries I had about a site from which we could explore the Skellig Islands -- Caherciveen looks to be 'just the ticket' -- thanks!

Onecal vw -- I will send you a pm (if I can -- I haven't done one before -- 1st time for everything!) -- thanks very much.

If anyone else 'out there' can add any more, we would be most grateful,

best wishes to all,

Colin.

P.S. Peter & Eddie (Judgemental) I will certainly follow your food/booze recommendations -- what did you think was my real agenda? Wild flowers and grand scenery are all very well but you have to look after the inner man, don't you?(!)

We spent 2 weeks there last June had unusually good weather sun & no rain.

Only used one site in the 2 weeks, wild camping is the norm. Safe Nights Ireland is the nearest to CL’s we joined but it’s not really worth it link below:

http://www.safenightsireland.com/joinsni.htm

Main arterial roads are OK but normal R roads are bone shakers, some lanes can be a bit narrow not uncommon to have both door mirrors buried in the hedges on both sides.

Some of the places we visited & overnighted.

Hook Peninsular stayed by the Hook Lighthouse plenty of parking on the cliff top (it’s only a low cliff) great views Lighthouse worth a visit oldest working lighthouse in Europe been there since 1240.

Ardmore cemetery worth a visit one of the stone towers & other ruins, stayed at small parking area by the beach on the north side of the bay you can walk along the sand to Ardmore.

Inchydoney Island stayed in small car park by sand dunes need to go round the one way system over the hill to get to it.

Beara Peninsula a drive around this peninsula is not to be missed spectacular varied coastline.

Stayed in a small parking area above a lay-by about a mile from the cable car to Dursey Island there is a food trailer in the lay-by local woman with home cooked food & fresh fish caught by her husband, we spent 2 nights there & ate from the trailer both nights, fantastic views from this parking got the cable car (more like a beach hut on wires) across to Dursey & spent the day walking..

Portmagge, boat trip to Great Skellig 40€ each well worth it Puffins were on the island when we went.

Stayed 2 nights in the car park by the bridge to Valentia Island, car park has public loo water tap on the fisherman’s pier. Pub serves good reasonably priced food (for Ireland).

Drove the ring of Kerry we thought that was over rated if you do it go anti-clockwise for an easy life (the way the coaches go) we did it the hard way.

Stayed in a small forestry parking area in the national park on the N71 south of Killarney.

Ferries across estuary’s cheap 5 –12€, don’t order half pints in pubs 30% surcharge. Eating out is only for the rich, fuel is cheaper.

Some photos from our trip here:-

http://picasaweb.google.com/lennyhb/IrelandJune2010#

Lenny, thank you so much for that, just the tips/ information that we needed!

Your 'photos are stunning -- I feel very privileged to be asked to share them.

How did you know that we particularly wanted to see the nesting birds on the Skelligs? ..Even more so now that we have seen your amazing pictures!

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Colin.

We were very lucky the day we went to the Skelligs it was the first day the Puffins had returned during the day up until then they had only been returning to their nests after dark.

Another couple of tips if you have refillable gas tanks/bottles LPG is very rare go with full tanks.

Public loos are far & few between most garages will let you fill up with water & usually have a toilet you can empty the loo, if a bit low on water we took on about a third of a tank of fuel in so if we couldn't fill up with water we could try the next garage. Talking to local Motorhomer's they just ask for water without buying fuel I didn't have the cheek to do that. Take the opportunity where you can.

Another source of water is most piers have a tap sometimes have to drive to the end of the pier easier to fill up in the evening when the fishermen have gone & if desperate cemeteries always have a tap.

Rubbish disposal can be a problem no bins in public places & community tips have barriers & charge for entry, waste bins in supermarket car parks are your best bet, Lidl usually have large bins/skips.

Also no camping signs are there for the travellers they don't mind tourists just park in front of the sign so no one can see it.

Progress in the villages can be slow everyone wants to say hello just driving down the road everyone waves to you.

With the state of their minor roads a 100 miles in a day is hard work we only covered half the area we expected to, best just to amble along with the view we can always come back next year.

If you have Air Miles you can use them on Irish Ferries we went to from Pembroke to Rosslaire £14 + 4000 Air Miles.

Archived