2004 AutoSleepers Mirage 5000 / Luxor EK

PamH

Hi,

I've been looking at 2004 A/S Mirage 5000; Test drive was eventful, in freezing fog, just off the motorway sliproad, all the dials on dash went to 0, including speedo & fuel ;Dash lights went off too, possibly external lights too & indicators!!!

Luckily engine was still functioning & dealers was not too far away, so I made it back ok.

"Van" is in workshop now.

Has anyone had a problem like this ?

Has anyone experience of these vehicles, good or bad ?

Thanks in hope of reply

Pam

Just had phonecall from Dealers;

" Duff alternator" was the problem, now been fixed.

Still not had any response about "van" in general; have been told there was a review in MMM but I can't find it, has anyone seen it?

Still would like advice.

Pam

Hi Pam & welcome to the forum.

I can't find anything regardinga review by MMM, it may be worth sending an e-mail enquiry via the "Contact Us" on the left of this screen.

Here is some information, which may help you.

Reviews  -

Practical  Motorhome July 2004

(First Look: Marquis Mirage 5000SE)

Or Motor Caravan Magazine

Three luxury British A-classes: Auto-Sleeper Luxor
EB; Hymer 654; Eura Mobil Integra 680HB Group Test @ £3.95

http://www.testreports.co.uk/outdoor/motorcaravan/stock/Model.asp?Model=202&ModelPage=true

There are some spec details here:-

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/modules.php?name=MHSearch&op=display_results&mhid=47&Manufacturer=Autosleeper&Model=Luxor EK

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/modules.php?name=MHSearch&op=display_results&mhid=300&Manufacturer=Mirage&Model=5000

http://www.becksmotorhomes.com/vehicle/2003-autosleeper-luxor-ek/

A good source of information is the Autosleepers Owners Club

http://www.asoc.fsnet.co.uk/

Or the Manufacturer may be able to supply some further information.

http://www.auto-sleepers.co.uk/contact-us

I had a 2003 Mirage for 5 years had a few problems here and there mainly Fiat but those were relatively minor, and not the problem you had.

Check:

Windcreen - any signs of leakage around seal.

Were you happy with noise level in Cab, we could always hear a "gurgling" noise from Turbo when pulling hard. Note this is a well built but relatively heavy van for its size do you a need 3800Kg van this can make for more expensive tolls abroad. 5th Gear on these vehicle is on the high side.

Check roof carefully, rubberised but rubber is only up to 1mm thick, check no tears etc

Heater efficient - ours was gas only and quite heavy usage. If van has a fixed gas tank think you may find Certificate for tank will be for 15 years. Ensure control electronic valve inside van works.

Mattress, if original probably either a few springs sticking out (ours was sprung) or rather "flat" by now.

Check bed goes up and down OK i.e. gas struts operate.

Door Locks (Hab and Cab) are not terribly reliable, there is a spring inside prone to failure and spares are difficult to find.

Check A/C works properly ours used to lose gas, also common to this Fiat model was water dropping onto the floor of the cab from the A/C lift carpets and check floor of cab.

Mirage no longer exist and some spares could be difficult, I don`t know for example how difficult a replacement windscreen would be. ("A" Class screens are very expensive at the best of times) The van overall was a very solid construction. Marquis Motorhomes / Autosleeper were

the original importers I would try them out on such things as windscreen door locks, etc.

MMM published a full test-report on a Mirage 5000 in the February 2004 issue (plus a 'Brief' report in July 1998), while "Which Motorcaravan" published a report on a Luxor EB/EL in the April 2003 magazine.

There's a Mirage owners' club

http://www.mirageownersclub.org/

that will be the fountainhead of UK knowledge for these motorhomes.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for your replies & advice.

I am hoping to collect said vehicle some time this week;

dealer is replacing all 5 tyres and awaiting their delivery.

I'll check out your pointers ASAP ,at handover, if necessary.

Hoping to be back on the road soon

safe travels to all

Pam H

mirage - 2011-01-25 9:29 PM

Mirage no longer exist and some spares could be difficult, I don`t know for example how difficult a replacement windscreen would be. ("A" Class screens are very expensive at the best of times) The van overall was a very solid construction. Marquis Motorhomes / Autosleeper were

the original importers I would try them out on such things as windscreen door locks, etc.

It was my understanding that these 'A-Class vans' were actually 'Made' by A/S for Marquis ? and were A/S's only 'short' entry into 'A-Class' .?

I wonder why they didn't carry on with them ? the same thing also applies to Autotrail who I believe also ventured into 'A-Class' territory a while ago.

They just leave the field open to Continental makers.

Or is it that most of 'Us Brits' don't like 'Climbing up' to get into bed ?? ;-)

Ray

any 'more informed' facts greatly appreciated.

Rayjsj - 2011-02-14 10:42 PM

It was my understanding that these 'A-Class vans' were actually 'Made' by A/S for Marquis ? and were A/S's only 'short' entry into 'A-Class' .?

I wonder why they didn't carry on with them ? the same thing also applies to Autotrail who I believe also ventured into 'A-Class' territory a while ago.

They just leave the field open to Continental makers.

Or is it that most of 'Us Brits' don't like 'Climbing up' to get into bed ?? ;-)

Ray

any 'more informed' facts greatly appreciated.

AFAIK the following applies:

Mirage were an Italian built A-Class 'van that were originally imported in their own name by Marquis.

When Marquis and A/S came together under the same ownership, an opportunity was taken to rebadge it under the A/S name, with a bit of extra "tarting-up" for the British market. They were still, however, built in Italy by Mirage.

I'm not sure, but I think that for a short time, both the native and A/S versions were available.

Mirage subsequently went bust, but whether that was cause or effect of A/S not longer importing them, I'm not sure.

The Autotrail Grande Frontier was built in their Grimsby factory but only for 2 model years from memory. Guess it was not a popular seller.

But then again, a radical model shift will take time to establish itself in a market & with a high cost ticket item Dealers want stock that will shift quickly.

The Mirage was built in Italy by Mirage Motorhomes and imported by Autosleepers who fitted them out, sold by Marquis Motorhomes. At one point a small number were sold as a Autosleeper in their own right as an Autosleeper Luxor.

Mirage Motorhomes themselves went out of business about 3/4 years ago which can make spares difficult.

flicka - 2011-02-15 12:28 PM

The Autotrail Grande Frontier was built in their Grimsby factory but only for 2 model years from memory. Guess it was not a popular seller.

But then again, a radical model shift will take time to establish itself in a market & with a high cost ticket item Dealers want stock that will shift quickly.

Shame, as it looks a good specification and a British made A-Class would i'm sure find buyers. (In my opinion Hymer don't deserve their lofty price tags). Hope the A/S Mirage works well for you. (i'm in a similar posistion as far as spares, I have a 2005/6 Autocruise, and Swift don't want to know any owners of vehicles made before they took over.Which seems a bit short sighted to me, No warranty i can understand, but no spares or assistance i don't understand. ) Ray

Rayjsj - 2011-02-16 10:43 AM

Shame, as it looks a good specification and a British made A-Class would i'm sure find buyers. Ray

...you might think so, but the market appears to prove you wrong.

The Swift Bel Air was only available for a couple of years or so from around '99, until it died a natural death.

AFAIR the early layouts really didn't make the best of the A-class base, with the cab not really being integrated into the rear. I think they adjusted this later with a different layout.

I actually thought that, for its time, it was a fairly handsome 'van (from the outside at least).

Swift Bel-Air was a good looker in it's time.

IIRC - Elddis were the 1st UK manufacturer to built A class Motorhome

http://www.brackenbraemotorhomes.co.uk/elddis300special.html

Hymer (& other continental manufacturers) have the whole of European market for LHD models. Once they have established their product they can switch a few to RHD production.

Problem of building A class M/H's in the UK is the restricted market, then establishing a foothold.

Hello

I have just recently joined this group (actually about 2 minutes ago!!)

I’m the rally officer for the Mirage Owners club, a small but perfectly formed band of travellers.

I have a Mirage 6000 and would like to say that for its size it takes some beating. Yes it’s a bit heavy, we had ours remapped and put in a K&N air filter which makes a huge difference. I tend to sit around 50 – 55 and the cruise can hold this in all but the steepest hills. There have been some problems though and we took ours back down to Mirage in Pomezia (just south of Roma) to have a new piece of floor put in.

Mirage made a whole range of motorhomes but sadly they have (as has been reported earlier) closed down. Google Map shows the derelict building.

It has been a challenge sorting out what should be minor problems through Marquis and although they have a branch quite close to me (and where I have purchased my three motorhomes from) I tend to now use EssandJay in Poole, Steve and Michael are very helpful and knowledgeable about the vehicles. I recently had a gas leak to the generator which he sorted out as well as an electrical problem which in the end came down to a failed battery.

The problem with owning a Mirage is getting something to replace it as it has all the bells and whistles. The insulation is second to none, the wooden ‘furniture’ excellent as are the beds which we love. We don’t use the a/c that much but the fixed LPG tank allows much cheaper gas; the generator is excellent as we have an inverter and a microwave. The 6000 has the 135l fridge with a separate freezer and it would be a challenge to go down to a smaller one. Both front seats swivel and the tables can be swapped depending on what’s required. We were pleased with the rubber roof too especially in the rain and it’s great for getting above the crown at Air displays!

Members at the club are always welcome, whether a Luxor or Mirage they all came from the same place, we’re next at Shepton in April if you want to join us. There is a huge amount of technical information available through the members and some still have their motorhomes after a decade. Actually we’re celebrating our ten year anniversary in July this year.

Kind regards

Emma

flicka - 2011-02-15 1:28 PM

There was a 2006 Autotrail Grande Frontier parked across from us on a site in Portugal recently, the couple who owned it were from Scotland but fulltime in the van. It looked very nice from the outside.

Archived