cleaning the roof of the MH

duetto owner

Be very careful with step ladders, a forum member who usually uses the chatterbox section fell off one last year and hurt himself quite badly and a customer of ours fell off one just before Christmas fractured his skull and died! DO NOT balance on top of step ladders without someone else steadying them, better still either use a tower or pay someone younger and fitter to do it.

D.

I did ours' again earlier in the week(..as we're surrounded by trees it needs to be done quite frequently)..I just lean my aluminium ladder against the top edge(..but having a gravel drive,helps bed the bottom of the ladder in).I also wrap an old blanket around the top of the ladder so as not to mark the van(...something which I need to improve on..)

If you clean it regularly,it's help stop the build up of any "gunk"/moss etc and it while you're up there,it gives you chance to check any seals around skylights etc...

I put two old socks on the top of my step ladder so it does not mark the van sides - works a treat.

Fortunately 2/3 of the roof I can walk on, so tend to use a scrubbing brush and tooth brush for awkward places.

The front 1/3 of the roof I cannot walk on which is smooth I use a mop to clean off muck off up the ladder, then only have to lean over when using polish.

Both our drive and road are sloping so have to chock ladder under one leg to straighten up, then prefer to either put ladder over or behind door mirror to prevent sideways movement.

I only clean it twice a year, but once done it does keep the sides cleaner and freeer of black streaks.

David

We park under a bedroom window, and hubby passes the hose up to me from a ladder, and then I hose off most of the dirt. We then clean with a long brush. We also have a local hand wash place that will clean MH.We will most like try this year, as they do a very good job on the cars. Think the price was about £20, as they like buisness when not busy.

PJay

I usually pay someone else to do it. An option might be that at some vehicle jet washes there is sometimes a sort of gantry that allows you to stand above the roof of the van. They are not common but I've seen a few in the UK.

I've actually used these abroad, once in France and few times in Spain, useful when away on a long trip.

Fix foam pipe insulation to top of the ladder to protect the top edge of the motorhome then tie the ladder to the bike rack as a safety measure , but also get the wife to foot the ladder when climbing on and off wash off with a sponge and turtle wax shampoo / polish then when dry give a good polish with Mer.The sloping front is always difficult ,but manage by doing it laying down with care ..

Once or twice a year I use a very soft broom from a step ladder & once a year rest a ladder against the awning with foam behind it and get on the roof to give it a proper clean.

Keep thinking of uprating to 3850kg if we do I'll get a ladder fitted to the back of the van just to make cleaning easy, payload is a bit tight at the moment.

I use a ladder with the partof the ladder in contact with the van covered with solid foam pipe lagging. It fits snuggly round the rungs and uprights.

Fenwicks Motorhome cleaner with a sponge and/or string rag gets all the grime and bird poo off then use a garden sprayer with Fenwicks Bobby Dazzler mixture to give protection. Amuses the neighbours and passing traffic but it makes it easier to clean next time.

And my only involvement with Fenwicks is as a purchaser!!

First check the maximum permissible roof load (manual)!  Then close all windows and rooflights!  If load allowance is suitable, stable, padded ladder, soft shoes, bucket or hose, and/or car cleaning brush that can have hose attached, plus long, extensible, handled brush (Halfords). 

Wet, painted, aluminium can be very slippery, so test carefully and try different shoes if you slide around.  Keep spray pressures low, many rooflights provide permanent ventilation and will not be proof against a full on hose jet from the wrong angle.  Don't step back without looking!!  :-D

Use ladders which are sufficiently tall to make reaching easy so you don't over reach and unbalance yourself.

Use a squeegy mop or long handled wash brush and only do what you can get to without stretching/overbalancing.

Move the ladders frequently - to do the side of a 6m van you'll need to move them at least 3-4 times for each side to do it safely, and a couple of times for the rear. For the front on a low profile, standing at the side looking along the front cowl, use the long handled brush again which should allow you to reach to the middle from each side. Lutons are more difficult but so long as you have a sufficiently tall and stable ladder you shouldn't need to actually get on top of the van at all.

If you need to remove more stubbon marks on the top of a camper, use a dishwashing brush attached to the end of a broom handle or the like, it allows you to 'scrub' a bit without harming the van, such as round skylights etc.

If the roof is really grimey, it's best to put the shampoo on and leave it for a while so it can soak into the muck and soften it, then it will make the job a whole lot easier.

kelly58 - 2011-01-27 11:41 AM

Fix foam pipe insulation to top of the ladder to protect the top edge of the motorhome then tie the ladder to the bike rack as a safety measure , but also get the wife to foot the ladder when climbing on and off wash off with a sponge and turtle wax shampoo / polish then when dry give a good polish with Mer.The sloping front is always difficult ,but manage by doing it laying down with care ..

To clean the sloping front part of our roof I put a length of pipe insulation on the top edge of the bonnet to protect the paint. I then have two pieces of hefty ply joined at right angles. The edge of the vertical one rests on the ground and the other end of the horizontal section has some angle aluminium fixed to it which hooks securely over the foam on the bonnet to give a secure platform from which to work. Just remember not to step over the edge.

Some time ago I was polishing the roof of a caravan with s shallow pitched roof. I had done this many time before leaning over and semi laying on the roof whilst I did it. Unfortunately on one occasion I noticed I had missed a bit and when back to do it, yes laying on the polished bit. I slid off in slow motion and fell off. Fortunately I used to do judo and instinctively rolled as I made contact with the ground so suffered no injury but I was very much younger then. At nearly 70 now I would rather not attempt it again.

You could save yourself the trouble of cleaning by buying a new motorhome each year!! :D or better still treat yourself to an Avondale model that are strong enough for you to stand on top & reach everywhere with an extendable brush. I have a young man who has a mobile business cleaning caravans; he comes once a year & is worth his £25 fee. Last year he treated it with 'Scotch Guard' which has a three year guarentee - cost £95. Money well spent I thought. (lol) (lol)

kelly58 - 2011-01-27 11:41 AM

Yep! Have got to say this works for me too. I use Mer shampoo and follow up with Mer polish twice a year around March and October. ;-) B-)

See my post today in Hints & Tips - Polishing Motorhome.

Fortunately I've got a tall wall next door (no, not the neighbours house!)that I lean my ladder against to get onto the MH roof. Avoid the overcab section - my manual says the rest of the roof is ok for 13 stone.

Follow the tip but put some bleach into the container with the water/ car shampoo. It'll kill the green algae stuff off lovely. Do it twice a year to keep it sparkly clean!.

Happy washing - Dave S

Archived