Slipping Clutch on Mercedes Automatic !!!?

Vernon B

I wonder if the very helpful Nick from Euroserv is out there?

I have a 'van on a Sprinter 315 chassis with a torque converter auto box. Its done about 5,500 miles and is running-in quite nicely. I've not much experience of driving autos and none previously with a vehicle of this mass.

From new I was conscious of what I'd call the lack of traction when starting from cold. You really had to put some revs on to get the 'van moving - it wasn't a matter of keeping your foot on the brake or it would edge forward. After a few miles, presumably when things had warmed up everything seemed to be ok and I've paid little attention to what has been a short lived blip in cold weather.

As advised by the maintenance schedule I had the gear box oil changed when the vehicle was 12 months old - last November. Having read a post on this forum about the problems of having the wrong oil in a merc autobox I had hoped that the fresh oil might cure my cold start "slippage". As the incidence of these experiences had been relatively infrequent I had not bothered to mention it to the dealer when I had the oil changed, but I do know they'd had some difficulty in getting the oil into the box through what is apparently a very small aperture.

Since November I've had one short trip away and the problem is still evident. Today, a pretty cold day, I started the 'van after it had been standing for about a couple of weeks and the problem was very evident. I guess I was having to put on well over 1000 rpm to get any movement.

I rang the Merc dealer and without prompting he suggested that the gear box oil might be low and I've arranged to take it in for checking on 28 March.

I suppose low oil level could be the cause of the problem - it warms up, expands the problem goes away. However given that it has occured pre and post oil changes I wonder if there may be another cause.

So any ideas Nick - or any other well informed Mercedes user?

V

Hello Vernon,

Sorry for the delay, I have been away this weekend!

I would not worry too much. I don't know what make of box MB use but this is not uncommon. When a vehicle is left standing for a while, all of the oil drains into the sump, and takes a minute or two to get around everything when you start it.

I have a Vauxhall Frontera Auto that sometimes takes a couple of minutes before it has any 'drive' after not being used for a couple of weeks or more. It is nothing to worry about. Just leave the engine idling for 2 mins before you try and drive it.

The Vauxhall has a Borg-Warner box and i would not be surprised if MB used a similar one.

If you notice this happening when the engine is warm, or if the vehicle has only been standing for a day or two I would say that the torque converter is faulty.

Obviously other readers that have automated manuals like the Fiat Comfort-matic are not affected by this advice. If they get no drive when the engine is started there is a problem. Not heard of any though.

Hope this helps,

Nick

My Sprintshift has the same attributes, This is my first Autobox  Motorhome so no expert, Car,s tend to be a bit more responsive, but its all weight to power ratio, I have a slight incline in my drive and need rev,s higher than I would use in a Manual to get things moving,but I dont rate it as a problem,it does not Creep if I dont hold it on the foot brake either, I find it a relaxing way to drive as your always in the right gear at the right time. plus the bliss of Cruise control.

Can't add much to the other post's Vernon, but the best way is to check the box is when the oil is at running temperature (warm) What I don't like is that you have to wait over a month for a main dealer to check it for you 8-) not very good service IMO.

On my old Ford Transit the box could only be filled through where the gearbox dipstick went, so if it is the same method then it does take a long time to fill it, (and the person doing it gets bored) 

Dave

Thanks everyone I knew you wouldn't let me down.

Doesn't it make a change to have a response where everyone is in agreement? - what's going on at the moment - is it the weather or something?

In the interests of MBs reputation I should say that the 28 Mar date was a finger problem it should have said 28 Feb!

Thanks again

V

Archived