Wheel Change, anyone tried It ?

Rayjsj

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BobK - 2011-11-08 9:24 PM

148lb/ft !!! I would be the first to admit that I'm an old guy in the motor trade but is this a recognised torque for a wheel nut?? I seem to remember figures like 70lb/ft for engine main bearings.... and think of the stress they have. Could this 148 lb/ft be the hub bearing torque?...

Yes, 200Nm (148 lb/ft) is a hefty 'pull' for a wheel-nut and, when I was initially given to understand that this was the torque setting for my 2005 Transit Mk 6's nuts, I was sufficiently sceptical that I telephoned Ford's technical help-line (at about £1-per-minute) about it. They confirmed the 200Nm figure adding (humiliatingly!) that it was actually stamped into the edge of the lower 'washer part' of the 2-piece wheel-nut - which is indeed so. I recall mentioning the 200Nm wheel-nut torque-setting to the mechanics who service my Transit and they were well aware of it.

Wheel-nut torque-settings for various Ford models are given on

http://www.etyres.co.uk/tyres/ford

The setting for post-2006 Transits is not shown, but Robinhood has said that his Mk 7's Owners' Manual also states 200Nm. My Mk 6's manual describes the order in which the wheel-nuts should be tightened (depends on the number of nuts per wheel) but omits to mention the torque-setting.

My experience of the Ford-supplied Transit wheelbrace has been that it's perfectly able to loosen wheel-nuts tightened to 200Nm and re-tighten to that figure. Snag is that it wears out pretty quickly and my wheelbrace now has a very unpleasant tendency to come off the wheel-nut. I've also split a good-quality socket while tightening the wheel-nuts to 200Nm, so it's worth emphasing that really sturdy tools are needed if you plan to do much Transit wheel-changing.

Mk 6 Transit hub-nuts (which is what I assume you are referring to) have a very high torque-setting. See

http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=96579

.....as an aside to the above, I have always found it useful to have an electronic copy of my vehicle's handbook - making it easily searchable.

I have one for my previous 2005 Ducato, and one for the current Transit (incidentally, both originally downloaded as the one provided with both 'vans came in the wrong language, and were only subsequently replaced by the supplier).

I have posted on here before the download link for (current) Ford manuals that used to exist on the Belgian Ford Customer Services website - this has now "disappeared".

For anyone who might find it useful, however, the current range of Ford manuals is now downloadable (in English) from:

http://www.nl.ford.be/FordService/Gebruikershandleidingen

Good morning and thanks for the info, Derek and Robinhood. The Transit wheel wrench is pretty robust and I 've never had a problem loosening the nuts - just surprised when I saw the torque figure.

Will go for the manual download - good idea.

regards Bob

Archived