Carpets

Poppy

Just been sortingout van ready for start of season.We have CREAM carpets would you believe.We like to use them in the early and late season as they make the van cosier.Cleaning them, though, is a nightmare.Why can't they be made machine washable? They are the removeable sort.

Hi Poppy,

We've got fairly light coloured fixed carpets in our MH so have just bought Turtle Dirt Trapper mats to lay over the top. They absorb any wet and dirt from shoes (or paws if you've got pets) and are easily machine washed.

They may not be the cheapest option but for us are defnitely the best option.

We also bought them at the NEC to save postage :-D

HTH,

Keith.

Guest pelmetman

As most on here know our van is 21 years old and we are still using the original light beige carpets.

We have tried different types of rugs on top of the carpet yet our favourite has been good old fashioned rag rugs that go in the washing machine after each and every trip. Considering we have had two dogs camping with us the carpet is in amazingly good condition.

If it is dry whilst away we don't even bother with the rugs. I always make sure that our feet are clean before entering and have never found the carpet to be a problem.

Whilst away all I use is a dustpan and brush each morning to give a clean then obviously a hoover clean on getting home.

The only bit of washable lino we have is in the kitchen area.

Sue

Guest pelmetman
antony1969 - 2011-03-17 6:36 PM

Do the Shake and Vac and put the freshness back

Do the Shake and Vac and put the freshness back

If your carpet smells fresh then your room does too

Everytime you vacuum just remember what to do

I spent a lot of time watchin TV when younger

TV's got a lot to answer for :D

'Do the shake and vac'

You're on the wrong track.

Take the carpets out,

And when you get home,

Put them all back!! :D

A little tip that I know.

Always use the lino,

Take the carpets out.

And when you sell your van,

The floor is spick and span!!

Boom (!) Boom (!)

With muck on your carpet especially when cream

You'll need elbow grease , soap , brush and steam

Get her indoors to scrub and she'll beam

look at this carpet its come up a dream

trouble with lino its cold on your feet

freezin in winter with no bleedin heat

So cover your carpet with old tatty sheet

And when sellin your van the carpets still neat

I thankyou , copyright Antony Day 2011

Guest peter
Poppy - 2011-03-17 5:14 PM

Just been sortingout van ready for start of season.We have CREAM carpets would you believe.We like to use them in the early and late season as they make the van cosier.Cleaning them, though, is a nightmare.Why can't they be made machine washable? They are the removeable sort.

We always machine wash the carpets off our boat. Not too hot though.

Speaking of boats, did I mention we are going sailing - Dover to Dunquerke @ 2pm this Sunday, on our way to the Algarve!

Whoopee Dooooooooo!! :D :D :D :D B-)

I shaved my beard off last night to let the sun get to me :-D B-) B-)

I thought I look younger, HWMBO says I look better with it!

Anyway I wear the trousers around here!! (Because we are going away I got permission to say that) (lol)

Barbarian

We took our fitted carpets out of the van, and stored them in the loft for if/when we sell it. We bought several machine washable mats and a runner to cover the vinyl floor. Then if we or the dog make a mat mucky we can just shove it in the washing m/c. Why do motorhome makers put in 'crazy light' coloured carpets and upholstery ?? To hell with passing fashion, we want durable,washable fabrics in 'sensible' colours.

At least removable carpets were a step foward, and a lot better than the old fitted carpet.

Rayjsj - 2011-03-17 10:25 PM

We took our fitted carpets out of the van, and stored them in the loft for if/when we sell it.

Why?

Can not see the logic of paying 300 quid for carpets then storing them to give to someone else to use, if you are going to do that order the van without carpets.

Some vans come with removable carpets as standard (in the price) and can't be deleted from the order.

Our last 2 vans came only with cab carpets so no 'built in' extra expense for rear ones, so we were happy! :-D

I have a nice long 'dirt grabber' (rubber backed, cotton twill) type mat, about 8ft long which is cut to fit the 'corridor' in the van ... and as it's in a nice green grass colour it's like having an indoor garden!!!! :D

I also have some smaller 'dirt grabber' rugs which we can use instead/as well if the mood takes us. :-S

lennyhb - 2011-03-18 10:12 AM

We took our fitted carpets out of the van, and stored them in the loft for if/when we sell it.

Why?

Can not see the logic of paying 300 quid for carpets then storing them to give to someone else to use, if you are going to do that order the van without carpets.

Didn't get a choice, they were 'In' when we bought it, and they are difficult to clean, so we opted for washable ones.

Just realised that you have a 'Euro' Van where just about everything is a 'Chargeable Extra'. Cheaper (debateable now) to buy 'Stripped out'

ex works, but expensive (in the UK) when fitted with things we consider 'standard' (i'm not including 'carpets' in that description)

;-) Ray

Rayjsj - 2011-03-19 12:48 PM

lennyhb - 2011-03-18 10:12 AM

Why?

Didn't get a choice, they were 'In' when we bought it, and they are difficult to clean, so we opted for washable ones.

Just realised that you have a 'Euro' Van where just about everything is a 'Chargeable Extra'. Cheaper (debateable now) to buy 'Stripped out'

ex works, but expensive (in the UK) when fitted with things we consider 'standard' (i'm not including 'carpets' in that description)

;-) Ray

The carpets may have been an extra but the Oyster satellite dish, receiver, TV, DVD player, surround sound audio system with sub woofer, large fridge freezer, Remis cab blinds, IRIS cab seats, passenger air bag, cruise control, air con, were all standard

So I think I might disagree with your statement Ray. (lol) (lol)

Barbarian - 2011-03-17 10:11 PM

Speaking of boats, did I mention we are going sailing - Dover to Dunquerke @ 2pm this Sunday, on our way to the Algarve!

Whoopee Dooooooooo!! :D :D :D :D B-)

I shaved my beard off last night to let the sun get to me :-D B-) B-)

I thought I look younger, HWMBO says I look better with it!

Anyway I wear the trousers around here!! (Because we are going away I got permission to say that) (lol)

Barbarian

Never forget that you may wear the trousers but it is er indoors that tells you what colour :D

The carpets may have been an extra but the Oyster satellite dish, receiver, TV, DVD player, surround sound audio system with sub woofer, large fridge freezer, Remis cab blinds, IRIS cab seats, passenger air bag, cruise control, air con, were all standard

Ahh, but did you get a 4 burner hob with spark ignition, and incorporating an electric ring, an oven (at a usable height for a 5' wife), electric operation of your Truma Heater and water heater ?

(mind you, you DO seem to have got a lot of otheruseful extra's) so maybye i'll keep my trap shut !! :$ :$ Ray ;-)

Rayjsj - 2011-03-20 10:25 AM

Ahh, but did you get a 4 burner hob with spark ignition, and incorporating an electric ring, an oven (at a usable height for a 5' wife), electric operation of your Truma Heater and water heater ?

(mind you, you DO seem to have got a lot of otheruseful extra's) so maybye i'll keep my trap shut !! :$ :$ Ray ;-)

Only a 3 burner hob but it does have spark ignition, yet to see a 4 burner hob in a van you can get 4 decent size pans on at the same time so what's the point. But we do have twin recycle bins & the radio/dvd head unit is wired correctly so it stays on & has a remote control.

The oven is high but is out of the way OK so you have a tall wife my is only 4'10" she can just reach it.

Wouldn't want an electric ring or heating, just adds unnecessary weight & would be carrying things around that I would never use.

We never use hook ups to me it defeats the point of having a Motorhome, if I need to hook up to the mains every time I stopped for the night I might as well go back to a caravan & use sites.

Back to original thread.

Try buying some cheap carpet from the likes of Storey,s, have them cut to size and bound.

Use in place of originals, wash them as necessary, and throw them away when beyond redemption.

Replace original carpets, if you must, when selling van, but it will not really affect the value.

Ken

I think it was us, spoiling their's.

I know that replacing the carpets won't 'add' any value, but clean upholstery (seat covers), and the clean, original carpets DO make a van easier to sell when the time comes, you just have to think 'what condition would I like to find a used van in'. It has worked in the past.

But i do agree that the old 'fitted carpet' and no choice, were usually dirty and smelly and were the first thing I replaced (with vinyl) when I got a van.

Ray

1footinthegrave - 2011-03-20 6:19 PM

Err, take your shoes off before going right in maybe, and pop your slippers on (lol)

Absolutely ! especially the dog ! She always forgets ! (mind you she only moults twice a year.......six months each time).

Guest 1footinthegrave
I did not notice the OP mention a dog, and I was rather reluctant to suggest such an obvious thing. But after being driven mad with those tiny sharp stones in some parts of France it took us a while to do the obvious, and take our shoe's off, and it was then obvious this also helped to prevent mud ( and whatever else) coming into the van. 8-)

Hi

We have cream/beige carpets in our van and wash them fairly regularly. Don't know if you're not supposed to but ours have been in the washer quite a few times and never had a problem at all. Would suggest you do it on a dry day though as ours tend to come out a bit creased up but if you hang them over the rotary dryer whilst still damp the creases drop out. Ours are in 3 pieces ie cab, front dinette and door/kitchen area up to bedroom so will fit in washer with a push, one at a time-if yours are one piece then I guess not but if they will go in, put them in and wash 'em

Mike

Hi

We have cream/beige carpets in our van and wash them fairly regularly. Don't know if you're not supposed to but ours have been in the washer quite a few times and never had a problem at all. Would suggest you do it on a dry day though as ours tend to come out a bit creased up but if you hang them over the rotary dryer whilst still damp the creases drop out. Ours are in 3 pieces ie cab, front dinette and door/kitchen area up to bedroom so will fit in washer with a push, one at a time-if yours are one piece then I guess not but if they will go in, put them in and wash 'em

Mike

Archived