blown air heating/ carpets

nasher

Hi there, anyone know what to lag/ insulate the duct where it goes outside the van. I feel that im losing a lot of heat because it goes outside, but the duct is in line with the rear wheel so i cant put say cozy wrap on it.

Also to protect the carpet in the lounge i put another carpet on top, but this keeps rucking up and drives us bonkers.

Hi John

As regards the heating duct, you may get more help if you say what your van is - there's probably someone with the same one, who's already solved the problem.

With the carpet, though, are the original ones removable? Ours are, and if we're expecting to do anything that might damage them (like long walks on muddy footpaths!), we leave them at home and rely on the lino underneath. That could be a better solution for you than another layer of carpet.

But if your "originals" are fixed, a layer of that non-slip rubber matting in between the two carpets should stop the top one wandering about. But bear in mind the more layers you have, the more problems you might get with (say) fridge and shower doors.

Hi John, Truma certainly used to supply air ducting specifically for fitting underneath a 'van. I think this was black as opposed to brown and it was protected against the elements and was better insulated. If your van doesn't have this try Truma.

As for the carpet, Lakeland do a very effective self adhesive tape called Grip-a-Rug.

V

Vernon B - 2011-03-18 2:56 PM

Hi John, Truma certainly used to supply air ducting specifically for fitting underneath a 'van. I think this was black as opposed to brown and it was protected against the elements and was better insulated. If your van doesn't have this try Truma...

The Truma product is still available. See:

http://www.leisure-supplies.co.uk/productdetails.php?id=317

However, there's a strong likelihood that any motorhome from a reputable manufacturer will employ this Truma product for air-ducting run outside the vehicle. Basically, I suspect that nasher's motorhome already has Truma insulated/waterproof ducting. For extra insulation, I guess you could use the type of wrapping used for insulating external water tanks. See:

http://www.caktanks.com/CAK_Water_Tanks_Accessories.htm

Hi tony, sorry i forgot to say, the van is autotrail 696g, the ducting goes through the floor of the loung locker, then under the van, then up through the floor to the boiler. Van is 2005 reg. The rest of the ducting runs inside the van

nasher - 2011-03-18 2:25 PM

Hi there, anyone know what to lag/ insulate the duct where it goes outside the van. I feel that im losing a lot of heat because it goes outside, but the duct is in line with the rear wheel so i cant put say cozy wrap on it.

Also to protect the carpet in the lounge i put another carpet on top, but this keeps rucking up and drives us bonkers.

Interestingly, it took us a while with our rear-lounge Burstner to work out just why the under-seat/ bed boxes were so warm, but then discovered that all of the ducting is carried around the inside of them.....not only does this avoid the 'cold'spot, but also keeps the fresh water tank warm.....the only downside being it also melts the chocolate stored under the bed box!!

As regards carpeting, we prefer the vinyl floor, and had some matching carpeting mats made from waste carpet from home,so made to measure and only used in winter. Previous vans have had full fitted and non removable carpet, and we used plastic over carpeting strips mixed results..but had to screw it down to avoid continual movement. Fortunately most vans now seem to come with either removable or optional carpeting, a much more practica lsolution.

Hi John,

If your AT is the same as ours then the ducting running under the floor will already be 'Twin walled' ie the normal ducting is run inside a larger diameter aluminium tube with insulation between. If you look at the ends where they appear inside through the floor you should be able to see this.

As for the carpets, (as I posted on another thread recently) we use 'Turtle mats' placed over our fitted carpets. You have to use the ones with rubber studs on the back and not the smooth backed variety and then we have found that they do not walk (at least not very far by comparison). We have just used ours for a first weekend and are very pleased with our purchase. The added advantage is that these mats are machine washable so if they get grubby simply throw then in the washer!

Not cheap but at the end of the day you only get what you pay for.

Keith.

Archived