Calor cylinder full weights?

pepe63xnotuse

Could someone tell me the full weight of the 13kg Calor propane cylinder please...?

(..I thought there was a chart on the Calor site a while back but I can't find it now.. :-S )

I've got this:

http://www.calor.co.uk/documents/13/original/manual-handling-of-cylinders.pdf

but it's a bit vague..

We don't use that much gas(..although I always follow the "gaslow" threads with interest)and up until now I've never given larger cylinders a thought,as I'd been oblivious to how much cheaper the larger cylinders were! :$

I've only just realised that the 13kg bottle is only a fiver dearer than the 6kg! (£25/13kg against £20/6kg) :$

The 13kg will fit with ease but before I swap I would just like to check the weights..

Thanks

Chris

For planning purposes, the Caravan Club will tell you that a full 13kg Calor Propane weighs between 25 and 32kg.

TBH, whilst I know that the tare weight of the cylinder varies somewhat, I didn't think it was by that much.

If you want the exact weight, the tare of the individual cylinder is stamped on the aluminium collar round the neck (though beware, it is in pounds and ounces *-) ).

If you convert that to kg, and then add 13, that will be the weight of the full cylinder.

The tare weight of my spare cylinder here is 31lb 14 oz, which equates to around 14.5kg, so full it should weigh 27.5kg.

HTH

Does anyone know if OK to carry full cylinders on the tunnel , Please?

We read that they cannot be full up. As we can not get Calor in FRance, and our locker will not accept the size of French bottles, we usually carry two full ones, we have one still unused from last year, but don't want to replace the part used one if it creates a problem. Going on tunnel for the first time in May

P

Two "full" cylinders will be fine.

You may be getting confused by the ruling that gas tanks (and by association gas cylinders) shouldn't be more than 80% "full".

This is a general ruling for all (non-propulsion) LPG containers, to ensure that the contents are delivered as a gas, not a liquid, when in use.

So, a calor cylinder when considered "full", actually only has about 80% of the internal volume utilised by liquid gas, the remainder is to allow the liquid to gas off, producing gas only at the take-off point.

Gaslow refillable cylinders, for example, have an 80% cut-off valve, to ensure the above situation as they are "refilled".

(Incidentally, this is why such cylinders should always be used upright, otherwise there is a danger of drawing off liquid gas, the effects of which, if being delivered to, say, a hob, would be spectacular, and probably disastrous. Likewise, a gas tank designed for LPG propulsion will deliver liquid gas at the take off point (which will not be at the highest point), and should not be used for domestic appliances).

Hope this makes sense, but I assure you, you will be fine.

PJay

The tunnel people will pull you over simply to check that the gas is turned off at the cylinder, then they put a small sticker in the "train code mirror hanger". Other than that there are no other checks (-- other than they "sniff" & "swab" the van for explosives, & may want to look in all cupboards & voids to see if you are hiding Lord Lucan in there!)

I believe I read somewhere recently that you are only allowed 2 gas cylinders in the tunnel, but I can't remember where I saw it.

Jeremy the L'aimeduck

laimeduck - 2011-03-22 4:47 PM

PJay

The tunnel people will pull you over simply to check that the gas is turned off at the cylinder, then they put a small sticker in the "train code mirror hanger". Other than that there are no other checks (-- other than they "sniff" & "swab" the van for explosives, & may want to look in all cupboards & voids to see if you are hiding Lord Lucan in there!)

I believe I read somewhere recently that you are only allowed 2 gas cylinders in the tunnel, but I can't remember where I saw it.

Jeremy the L'aimeduck

The last time we went on the tunnel after the gas bottle check, we were checked by a lady who asked'Have you any Knives on board?''Yes''Yes, but have you any Kitchen Knives on board?''Yes''Yes, but have you any knives that could be used to stab people?''Yes' (Opening cutlery drawer at this point)'Oh yes, ok-off you go then, have a nice holiday!'I couldn't see it but my wife informed me it was a 'security' check to make sure we were not terrorists!! *-) Clearly you can't be a terrorist and a meat carving motorhomer!!!

Sad person that I am, I often resort to reading the small print of the "conditions of carriage", and it throws up some interesting items.

I've posted previously about the limitations of liability imposed by the Athens Convention, and why that makes it sensible to check that your comprehensive insurance applies on any ferries you are using.

The conditions applying to the carriage of LPG also often make "interesting" reading (albeit sometimes difficult to interpret!).

From memory, in travelling to Norway twice on the now defunct Newcastle to Bergen service, the limitation (sadly, not conformed to by me 8-) ) was a single cylinder.

If one looks at the Norfolkline conditions of carriage (which still appear to be the ones they are using post DFDS takeover) one will find the following (mildly confusing) clause:

Passengers intending to travel with gas cylinders should inform the shipping line at the time of booking and not just prior to boarding. Gas cylinders must be adequately secured against the movement of the Ship; the supply must be shut off at the cylinders during the entire carriage; the integrity of the cylinders must be intact, at the commencement of the carriage. The maximum possible amount of Propoane/Butane which can be carried is 47Kgs. Oxygen/Acetylene gases may be carried only if carried for maintenance work. One acetylene or propane/butane cylinder up to 35Kg gross mass and one oxygen cylinder up to 40Kg gross mass may be carried but the cylinders should be less than 1m in height and disconnected from any equipment proir (sic) to boarding the vessel. No other class 2 or 3 flammable gases or liquids are permitted in the same vehicle.

.......so does that mean only one cylinder then?......and do all you Norfolkline users declare the cylinders at time of booking?

P&O has similar (though if I am interpreting correctly) slightly more straightforward conditions. Up to 47kg; a maximum of three cylinders; BUT, again, these should be declared at time of booking.

In reality, the only carrier I've ever seen that takes some effort to check compliance to its rules IS Eurotunnel, where I've always been questioned, and the gas cylinders visibly inspected, before boarding.

Robinhood - 2011-03-23 9:19 AM

Sad person that I am, I often resort to reading the small print of the "conditions of carriage", and it throws up some interesting items.

I've posted previously about the limitations of liability imposed by the Athens Convention, and why that makes it sensible to check that your comprehensive insurance applies on any ferries you are using.

The conditions applying to the carriage of LPG also often make "interesting" reading (albeit sometimes difficult to interpret!).

From memory, in travelling to Norway twice on the now defunct Newcastle to Bergen service, the limitation (sadly, not conformed to by me 8-) ) was a single cylinder.

If one looks at the Norfolkline conditions of carriage (which still appear to be the ones they are using post DFDS takeover) one will find the following (mildly confusing) clause:

Passengers intending to travel with gas cylinders should inform the shipping line at the time of booking and not just prior to boarding. Gas cylinders must be adequately secured against the movement of the Ship; the supply must be shut off at the cylinders during the entire carriage; the integrity of the cylinders must be intact, at the commencement of the carriage. The maximum possible amount of Propoane/Butane which can be carried is 47Kgs. Oxygen/Acetylene gases may be carried only if carried for maintenance work. One acetylene or propane/butane cylinder up to 35Kg gross mass and one oxygen cylinder up to 40Kg gross mass may be carried but the cylinders should be less than 1m in height and disconnected from any equipment proir (sic) to boarding the vessel. No other class 2 or 3 flammable gases or liquids are permitted in the same vehicle.

.......so does that mean only one cylinder then?......and do all you Norfolkline users declare the cylinders at time of booking?

P&O has similar (though if I am interpreting correctly) slightly more straightforward conditions. Up to 47kg; a maximum of three cylinders; BUT, again, these should be declared at time of booking.

In reality, the only carrier I've ever seen that takes some effort to check compliance to its rules IS Eurotunnel, where I've always been questioned, and the gas cylinders visibly inspected, before boarding.

Some 4 years ago I had an extended discussion with Norfolkline about this and I THOUGHT the company was going to reword it's website advice to make matters clearer. See my 26 May 2007 posting on

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=5765&posts=28

Archived