refillable gas installations and latest Truma kit

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

Just back from getting my new van (Adria Twin SP) I now need to get twin refillables fitted as I removed them from Eura before handing it over......Problem with Adria is, fitting the filler externally and BBQ point, as there is not an easy or obvious route to outer wall. Might have to just fit filler and BBQ point within gas locker....how have other panel van owners managed?

what is the situation with the latest Truma secure motion valve and which one is best to buy please? The German dealer mentioned the new Truma CS valve...any one any ideas about this??

and if anyone can recommend a fitter that will cover south London I would appreciate it :-D

JudgeMental - 2011-04-14 1:25 PM

fitting the filler externally and BBQ point, as there is not an easy or obvious route to outer wall. Might have to just fit filler and BBQ point within gas locker....how have other panel van owners managed?

:-D

Hi Judge

I have an Autocruise PVC and our eventual solution was to fit underslung gas tank. HOWEVER, Autogas 2000 who did this for me said that they could also have fitted refillable bottle(s) in gas locker but drop the refill hose through floor of locker. The refill adapter is then fitted, in our case, to a bracket holding the electric step. It is low down obviously but perfectly workable. They also said there were other sill solutions if step not a mounting option.

Tried sending a photo but system does not like it - only 520kb!

Arthur

Guest JudgeMental
pepe63 - 2011-04-14 2:28 PM

Not that I've got a PVC but would the rear ground clearance allow something to be mounted from the rear bumper?...

will have to see once I fit a tow bar...But after what Arthur said I had a look again undeneath and there is a wide lip on sill? so I dont see why a bracket could not be fitted to this under sill.....maybe, maybe not :-S

The Truma "SecuMotion" regulator (called "Drive Safe" in the UK) has, in principle, been superseded by the "CS" ("Crashsensor") product in "MonoControl CS" or "DuoControl CS" versions for single-cylinder or two-cylinder gas systems respectively. Details are on:

http://www.trumauk.com/products-gastechnology.asp

The CS units also come in two different formats depending on whether mounting is to be horizontal or vertical within the gas locker. This isn't apparent from the Truma(UK) webpage, but you can see the differences in the pictures on this (German) webpage:

http://www.reimo.com/r31/vc_content/daten/firma69/www/pdf_import/NN/0498.pdf

The 'problem' with the SecuMotion concept is that, for maximum protection, the SecuMotion regulator's maximum gas-flow rate really needs to be matched to a leisure vehicle's particular gas system. So a SecuMotion regulator suitable for a motorhome with very gas-hungry appliances might well be inappropriate for a much smaller motorhome. That's why there are SecuMotion regulators with 3 different gas-flow rates.

The CS products dispense with SecuMotion's 'leak sensing' principle (so gas-flow rate is no longer a factor), relying instead on on an impact sensor that, in the event of an accident, shuts off the gas supply at the regulator irrespective of whether the accident has produced a gas leak on the regulator's low-pressure side.

There was a recent-ish DIY article in a French motorhome magazine about retrofitting a CS regulator and it seemed no more difficult to install than DIY-ing any bulkhead-mounted regulator - the only proviso being that the regulator needed to be oriented so that the impact sensor module was vertical.

Unsurprisingly, CS is more expensive than SecuMotion.

Guest JudgeMental
Thanks Derek! I called Truma UK today and they said this system is really so that gas heating can be left on when driving...This is something I do not need. So do I just get a normal 2 bottle valve instead? Can you recommend one please?

Truma's SecuMotion and "CS" systems are both intended to allow vehicles to legally operate a gas-fuelled heater anywhere within the EU while the vehicle is being driven.

As a by-product, such systems incorporate safety features not normally found in 'traditional' systems. Both Secumotion and CS use a special flexible hose between gas-bottle and regulator that will cut off the gas supply if the hose is severed. Secumotion cuts off the gas supply 'downstream' of the regulator if a gas leak is detected on the low-pressure side of the gas system. CS cuts off the gas supply 'downstream' of the regulator in the event that the vehicle is involved in an impact-producing accident. These safety features will be active irrespective of whether a gas-fuelled heater is being operated or the vehicle being driven.

Assuming that your reference to "a normal 2-bottle valve" means you are looking for an automatic changeover device for a twin gas-bottle system, then It's difficult to advise without details of what kit your Adria currently has and how its installed.

As far as the UK is concerned, Truma markets "DuoComfort" as an add-on to an existing regulator:

http://www.leisure-supplies.co.uk/productdetails.php?id=25

or "DuoControl" that combines regulator and changeover device:

http://www.leisure-supplies.co.uk/productdetails.php?id=26

Gaslow offers a similar product to DuoComfort:

http://www.discover.co.uk/electrical-gas/gas/gaslow-auto-changeover-head?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=googlebase

If you plan never to use a gas heater en route and always turn off your gas bottles before driving your motorhome, then I guess a combination of the Clesse-branded 30mbar regulator now marketed by Gaslow, plus a Gaslow-marketded automatic changeover 'head' and metal-core high-pressure 'pigtails', would minimise the likelihood of potential future problems due to 'dirty' LPG.

hi, On my hymer i just have the filler inside the gas locker, was going to place it on the locker door, but the weight of the pump when filling made me wonder if the door would take it, So the filler hose hangs on a clip inside the locker.

michael

Guest JudgeMental

Thanks again Derek you are a star!

I prefer to run with the fridge on *-) as always worried regards my insulin..... *-)

so if I fit a gas safe thingy will this be OK? this is a pic of what is in the Adria? connected to one of my refillables....

274895424_gasthingy.JPG.6e6c30e13f69830875c10371ab9a7fde.JPG

Guest JudgeMental
JudgeMental - 2011-04-15 9:55 AM

Thanks again Derek you are a star!

I prefer to run with the fridge on *-) as always worried regards my insulin..... *-)

so if I fit a gas safe thingy will this be OK? this is a pic of what is in the Adria? connected to one of my refillables....

Looking at the above picture again and image on truma site, I think this may be the "gas safe" valve I have already?

As I also have the orange connector that came with it (as in link pictiure below)

http://www.trumauk.com/products-gastechnology.asp?jid=51&jStart=0&jsearch=&jorder=&jprod=&jseries=&jname=

Guest JudgeMental

further investigating reveals I think *-) that I need the Truma Duocomfort to screw into the existing drive safe valve! this will then connect to the 2 bottles...:-D

BUT how do I connect a BBQ point to this set up :-S

BUT how do I connect a BBQ point to this set up :-S

You'll have to tee into the black pipe after the regulator. You'll need the right size of compression fitting to do this properly. Perhaps a job best left to a professional?

Keith.

Hi Judge,

On our Twin, the filler hose ran through the locker wall then dropped down between the locker wall and the side of the van.

The filler was fitted on the rear wheel arch/corner moulding, which was reinforced with a backplate.

There was slight flexing of the moulding while using the filler, but it all worked fine.

One advantage of fitting it there was when the dealer transfered the system to our new van, it would have been possible to replace the moulding, thus saving holes inthe metal bodywork.

We now have an Adria Compact, - more usable shower and more accessible beds.

Good luck with your Twin, I think you will have to go a long way to beat an Adria.

JudgeMental - 2011-04-15 9:55 AM

Mr Judge

Have been injecting the pesky stuff since 1972 and I find a Frio works really well even when there is no fridge! (Goa, Kerala, Dom Repub ... Greece and Spain; tenting in Cornwall etc years ago!) Insulin keeps out of the fridge as long as it doesn't get too hot - for 30 days. Awkward with a phial and syringes but with pens, keep the in-use one or ones in a small pen Frio out of the fridge anyway. You shouldn't really inject insulin straight from the fridge in any case.

Re fridge - honest they stay cool for absolutely ages when the gas is turned off as long as no child leaves the door open LOL If you are the driver, you have to stop and test every 2 hours anyway to comply with the law, don't you? - so you can check the fridge every 2 hours if you feel compelled. Then as soon as you park up and leave the van - not if you just nip in the bakers but if you are stopping for lunch or a sight-see en route to your next aire - turn the fridge back on.

http://www.friouk.com/home/

I've never worked for them but I really think they are almost the best thing since sliced bread!

Guest JudgeMental

Thanks Jenny, I have 4 Frio bags already? India, Thailand, states, Caribbean etc..... :D

But I never use them in Europe :-S I will try and get out of my bad habit and do as you advise! :-D

Archived