Painting one side of a sun damaged motorhome

Maggsinspain

Hi - wonder if anybody has any ideas on this one. We have a 10 year old motorhome - bought a couple of years ago - coachbuilt Rimor which when we bought it had sun damage on one side - no shine and damaged and discoloured decals etc. Tried shining up but to no avail - too much sun damage. Over here in Spain it is very very expensive to get it professionally painted and it is quite a task to find somebody with a paint shop large enough to take the motorhome. We are wondering if it is viable (and in view of its age) to try and give it a makeover ourselves. Has anybody done this? if so I would be grateful for any advice and which paints are the best. I am coming over to the UK in the motorhome in a few weeks and would be able to purchase paint etc. in the UK to take back to Spain. Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks. Maggsinspain

Yes I can appreciate what you are saying - we do get black streaks as well as when it rains over here boy does it rain!!!!!! getting back to the sun damage though - the moby was left for months and years stood in the same place by the previous owner and that is why it has happened and it has ruined it's looks on one side. B-)

Guest JudgeMental
Just forget about it and turn it around so the other side gets bleached...painting could be a world of pain and look awful unless done professionally *-)

Mmmm thank you for your suggestions - I can see where you are coming from - like I said if the previous owner had kept turning it round there wouldn't have been a problem. Any ideas for the burned decals though. Have taken some off and then done a bit of painting where they were before but not sure this looks OK - like I said any ideas would be appreciated. Many thanks. :->

Hi Maggs and let me be the first to welcome you to the madhouse we call this forum :D

Have you tried cutting the paintwork back with either the usual 'T' cut or maybe something stronger like the Clay bar or scratch remover from Mer products? These will remove the top layer of faded paint and hopefully reveal a bright shiny new layer. Just be very careful not to rub too hard or you may go right through :'(

As for the decals, there are numerous companies around who will reproduce vinyl transfers from original patterns or possibly from photos. Google M/H transfers or as I think recommendations have been made on here before try using the search facility in the 'Welcome' box above.

HTH,

Keith.

I read historic commercial vehicle magazines and many of the restorers hand paint their vehicles. With research into the types of paint required, a lot of elbow grease to strip down the existing paint layers, a dry workshop environment, and good technique, you can make a decent job. And you will have to apply several layers of different types of paint, sand down between coats to remove blemishes.

You would have to paint all the vehicle otherwise it would look silly.

If you remain keen, have a look at the vintage commercial vehicle magazines for guidance.

Hi thanks for your reply - I am beginning to go off the idea - it seems that it may be too tough a task for a pair of pensioners!!!!!!!!!!! - may look at doing a cover up job with some more decals but it sounds a very daunting task - I have enough trouble getting a coat of Dulux on the walls never mind trying to keep a steady hand with the motorhome but thank you anyway. :-(

As you are pensioners and probably don't want to go out and buy something like Tcut without knowing if its going to work. Try using something like Cif on a small area, not too much pressure, a little bit goes a long way. If it works then it will be worth going out and buying Tcut and wax (sometimes its available in one bottle). Apply the Tcut in the same manner as you did the Cif. You must wax after you have cut into any paint as within a week or so you will be back to square one. The above will not apply to decals, I can't think of anything that would rescue them

Archived