Calais Aire

jenkothewanderer

The Cite Europe is overlooked by the local police station and is as safe as anywhere, why would anyone want to stop near the docks with all the noise going on I don't know. There are numerous bar/cafes in there where you can buy very good meals at a reasonable price till late in the evening, we have done it after arriving on the shuttle then bedded down for the night. We weren't disturbed once.

rolandrat - 2011-07-18 10:54 AM

why would anyone want to stop near the docks with all the noise going on I don't know. There are numerous bar/cafes in there where you can buy very good meals at a reasonable price till late in the evening

We use the aire at Calais by the ferry terminal (I assume this is what you mean by 'docks') out of choice.

1) It is an interesting location with lots going on.

2) We can walk down the mole and watch the ferries coming and going.

3) We can walk along the very nice beach.

4) We can walk into town.

5) We can eat at a large range of nearby restaurants.

6) The excellent "Friterie des Nations" is adjacent

If you park near the entrance, the ferry noise is minimal and has never bothered us at any time.

Hi

Tend not to use the Calais aire (but miss the chips) after an attemped robbery of my bikes off the back (saved by my alarm which they had cut) and on same evening 2 other vans broken into.

Not sure what the entrance to Citie Europe is like but when i last went some years back there were some orrible sleeping policemen.

We use Gravelines which has a good hypermarket 5 miles away plus a dump point has been installed about a mile away but with good signposting. The only problem with Gravelines is if it gets very windy + it can be busy albeit we have always found a parking space.

Peter

The yacht basin is now marked up for motorhomes they come around at 7pm and 8am to collect the 7euro, If you are not in your van they leave a note with your reg on advising payment to be made at the campsite office . This aire is in the large carpark off BL DU 8 MAI. We found it to be a lot quieter than the aire on the sea front, Once you have paid you can move onto the aire at the front in the morning just display your payment slip . the aire at citie europ is not an aire just a carpark where you are left alone and no charge is made. Bars and resturants are open untill late, or you can use the carpark at the Achaun supermarket Avenue Roger Salengro and get your fuel at the same time

Archived