Stretchy Alternator Belts

Guest Peter James

Guest Peter James

Hi,

Just looked at the alternator belt on my 2.2 X2/50 Citroen Relay (same engine as 2.2 Boxer/Ducato/Transit) to see how difficult it would be to fit a new one in an emergency.

I used to make a living as a car mechanic, but that was 40 years ago, so I have never sen belts like these before!

Does anybody know how you fit them please?

DSCF6946r.thumb.jpg.aff47a7cf0ff7286409ed6ce7ba85f5d.jpg

Hi Peter,

I can't offer help with how to fit the belt to a Citroen but can tell you what it is called.

It is a 'Poly V belt' or sometimes called a Serpentine belt when it is wound round multiple pulleys. Have a look at this Wiki article for a few more details. I first came across them in the early 90's on V8 engines but see they had already been around for a few years then.

Euroserv is probably the best person to tell you how to fit one and as always I'm sure he'll be along soon.

HTH,

Keith.

Guest Peter James

Thanks for the reply Keith.

What I have never seen before is that the power steering pump and alternator appear to be bolted directly to the block with no method of adjusting the belt tension, so as to get the belt on or off. The workshop manual I have is for the X2/50 Ducato (mine shown is the X2/50 Relay), and just lists the procedure for removing and refitting the alternator, with no mention of the belt that I can find (unless I am clicking the wrong icon somewhere)

But if you have never fitted one either perhaps thats good news of a sort if it means they last a long time :-)

It is as you can see on the belt label, a stretch belt. It is also exactly how it is fitted, by stretching it on and this is done using a special widget tool thing which is used to position the belt, turn the pulleys and on it pops and finds its own tension. Using screwdrivers and the likes to lever it on will damage the belt.

I think you will find instructions on the Dayco or Gates websites and the tools needed.

Archived