Gas locker mounted bbq point?

I may have asked this in the past..please forgive me if I have.. :$

As I'm looking to switch to a 13kg cylinder,I'll be ditching our "spare" 4.5kg(..until the big un runs low!)

The thing is,we use the "spare" to run our bbq(..using a seperate regulator and quick release fittings).

Now I don't want to fit an external bbq point(..as we haven't really got a suitable "wall"),so I'm looking for a tidy "T"/Tap/Quick release coupling,arrangement that I can fit inside the gas locker..

I know this can be achieved by using a selection of different fittings but I just wondered if anyone has done this and has come across a neat possibly self contained unit?

(I could really do with a surface mounted version of the external bbq points..which tend to have the safety interlock arrangement).

Also,whilst looking around online,I haven't come across any quick release fittings,other than the usual hose-hose type..as I could really do with one,on which the female/shut off side,will connect to 8mm pipe work(..via an additional shut off tap).

Any thoughts?

(.Oh!..and please don't bother wasting your time posting,if you're just going to tell me that I need to get this done by a "corgi" type dude..or to question my ability..or to just generally try and make yourself sound superior... ;-) )

Guest JudgeMental

Just buy a normal exterior surface mounted BBQ point and make a simple angle bracket out of steel and fix within locker?.....Was going to do this myself on new panel van untill BK came up with the brainwave of fitting it by sliding van door under kitchen......

I had looked around for a ready made bracket but could not find one...

Thanks for responding chaps...

Judge..I did consider just using the "guts" out of a external gas point(...as I wouldn't really want to shoehorn in the whole assembly into the locker).

Keith..yes I did look at CAK and I thought I'd found just the thing (..item-GQCT8 "Plug in gas outlet valve".. on page55 of their gas section pdf),but looking at it again I'm not so sure,as it looks as if it's meant to plug into an auxillary point ,rather than be the socket iself... :-S

I don't suppose someone could please take a look and give me their opinion...?

http://www.caktanks.com/files/cak_catalogue_2010/CAK%20CAT%202010%20Page%20Sections/52-55_CAK_2010_Gas_Section.pdf

(..or I *could* just wait 'til tomorrow and give 'em a call... *-) )

thebishbus - 2011-05-03 7:35 PM

Hi . You are correct, GQCT8 is a compression fitting socket for the appliance hose to snap on to.

Brian B.

Thanks Brian..but sorry...Am I correct in thinking that IT IS what I'm after?..or correct in thinking that it isn't? :$

(..to me,the more I look at it,the less it looks like a "socket"... :-S )

Guest JudgeMental
Just orderded something today for my installation, Autogas 2000 more reasonable then Gaslow IMO :-S

Just taken a look on the Autogas 2000 site and they show a similar bbq tap arrangement to the CAK item(..although it's not actually shown in their shop section? :-S )

(..The photo is clearer than the one on CAK site..and I can now see exactly what it entails).

Thanks again for the helpful respones..

;-)

I did something similar, but less sophisticated, some years ago on a Glendale, for an outside cooker. The gas locker was on the wrong side, but there was a "service access" door for the back of the fridge, with vents fitted in the door, so I tapped into the gas supply for the fridge with a T junction and a tap, and just slipped the rubber hose onto that when needed. By passing it through the fridge vents I could close the door. If I remember rightly, the T junc I used didn't involve any fancy work with the hacksaw - it just clamped on and pierced its own hole in the pipe.

It'd probably fail safety tests nowadays (or even back then!) as there was no automatic cutout, but how clever do you need to be to turn off the gas before you pull the pipe off?

I have considered just using a seperate tap and a quick realease fittings...

..in fact,if I could find a Q/R fitting where the female part would connect to 8mm copper(instead of to a hose),enabling it to be fitted neatly to a tap, then I may even still go that route..

..especially now knowing how much they charge for the "complete" units

http://www.autogasshop.co.uk/truma-coupling-quick-acting-valve-kv8-239-p.asp

:-S

Having said that...as this is something that will be permanent fixture within the gas locker,I suppose there is always the chance that by using a "non-proprietary" item(s), it *may* cause issues when I have the gas checked/serviced by an overzealous fitter... *-)

Thanks for the responses...

...but as I want to fit it inside the gaslocker, I am only really after the "gubbins"(..rather that the full housing)..

I've had an email back from Gasit about their tap(..the last link that I posted,which didn't show the actual item..)and apparently,it IS of the "interlock" type(..where the male fitted needs inserting before the tap can be opened).

So for £16 it's worth a look...

Thanks again for the input

;-)

Hi pepe63. I am sorry but am I missing something here,I thought you wanted a small BBQ outlet socket inside your gas locker,connected into your low pressure gas pipework. ? That is exactly what the Cak Tanks GQCT8 and the Truma quick acting valve KV8 are surely. ?

Brian B.

Mornin'..

No,you haven't missed anything Bri'..they are what I'm after..it's just me faffin' about...(lol)

..it's just that the £40 odd,excluding the VAT,seemed a bit steep,for what amounts to a 5 quid tap with half a quick release coupling(..strangely,some of the external set-ups,with the housing,are cheaper :-S )

That why the Gasit tap/connector(..which they *tell me* has the "safety-interlock" feature)for £16,is the one I'm opting for... ;-)

Sorry,if I've waffled on(..I tend to a bit :$ )

Chris

Just posting to tidy this up..

The Gasit tap arrived Saturday and it is of a similar type to the Truma item,only £35 cheaper?!

(..although it doesn't have a fixing plate/foot)....but for anyone looking to fit an bbq point,inside their gaslocker,I'd recommend it...

(...although for some reason I can't seem to get that Gasit link to load at the moment...)

Archived