Go Box or NoGo Box?

Vernon B

I'm looking to travel down to Croatia via Germany, Austria and Slovenia. A thread in March 2010 said that Go Box toll charges for >3.5t 'vans were very expensive but failed to mention the actual price and thereafter the thread was devoted to discussing routes for avoiding Austrian motorways.

On consulting the official website - www.go-maut.at - I now wonder if the "very expensive" claim is exaggerated or whether I'm missing something?

As I understand it a two axle Euro IV or V motorhome weighing over 3.5 tonnes would be charged 0.185 euros per km. Now if I took the E55 from Salzburg to Villach I'd travel about 200km which would therefore result in a toll charge of 37 euros plus an inital admin payment of 5 euros. So I'm out of pocket by 42 euros or around £38.00. Given that I would have had the benefit of around 700 toll free miles through Belgium and Germany I'm inclined to think this is a pretty good deal. But as I say, am I missing something?

My research on toll charges in Solvenia and Croatia has been less fruitful, so if anyone can fill that information gap I'd be most grateful.

V

The "very expensive " claim is only exaggerated if you don't agree with it.

'Expensive' is a very subjective description.

But, as you mention the free roads through Belgium and Germany, are you referring to the cost of the box, or the cost of the trip ?

;-)

All things are relative.

The toll costs are more per mile than the equivalent French ones, for example (and many people find these expensive and avoid the Autoroutes like the plague!).

They are also "very expensive" in comparison with the costs for vehicles below 3.5t, where a vignette will suffice. (as an example, roughly eu100 return between Salzburg and Vienna, compared with eu7.90 for a 10-day vignette - possibly two of these if the return journey is later).

You can get the actual cost for your journey accurately by using the Toll Calculator (light) at

http://www.go-maut.at/services/berechnung-der-maut/mautkalkulator-light

....and entering your emissions class and entry and exit points to the motorway network.

AFAIK, it is still impractical to get a post-pay Go-box as a casual, non-Austrian user (they require, with a few exceptions, Austrian Credit or Debit cards). So, you will most likely need a pre-pay Go-Box, and in addition to the eu5 initial cost, you will need to load a minimum of eu75 credit on purchase.

Research I did in the past indicated that unused credit can be refunded when the box is surrendered, and that in most circumstances it makes sense to do this, since I believe credit expires 2 years after it has been added.

Personally, I'd rather spend my money on Austrian beer and wine than the tolls, passing through the scenery on the non-toll roads, but if you are in transit, it may well be worth it to you.

We travelled through Austria last September on our way to Slovenia. We had to get a go box. We put 75euros on it which was the minimum we could put on. We entered Austria fro Berchesgarten and went into Slovenia via the Karawanken tunnel. We went off motorway for some of the journey but used them to avoid mountain passes. As we entered the Karawanken tunnel the box beeped twice which told us we had to put more money on the box.

In Slovenia the parts of the motorway network that charged were very expensive ( almost 1euro per km .)However there were long stretches not charging We are over 3.5 t so couldn't get a vignette and had to pay as we used the motorway. We could not work out from maps etc which parts charged

Margaret

We travelled through Austria last September on our way to Slovenia. We had to get a go box. We put 75euros on it which was the minimum we could put on. We entered Austria fro Berchesgarten and went into Slovenia via the Karawanken tunnel. We went off motorway for some of the journey but used them to avoid mountain passes. As we entered the Karawanken tunnel the box beeped twice which told us we had to put more money on the box.

In Slovenia the parts of the motorway network that charged were very expensive ( almost 1euro per km .)However there were long stretches not charging We are over 3.5 t so couldn't get a vignette and had to pay as we used the motorway. We could not work out from maps etc which parts charged

Margaret

Margaret

Busy at moment but if I haven't replied by next week then prompt me as we did that route last year in a 3.8ton van and loved it. Go box had money back off it too. Ignore those warning beeps as still a lot of money on it. We went in August too.

Will get info from the van and write it up by next weekend for you

chris

chris - 2011-05-08 4:10 PM

Busy at moment but if I haven't replied by next week then prompt me as we did that route last year in a 3.8ton van and loved it. Go box had money back off it too. Ignore those warning beeps as still a lot of money on it. We went in August too.

Will get info from the van and write it up by next weekend for you

chris

Thanks Chris that would be very helpful. I have used the "calculator" referred to above which has come out with a figure broadly in line with my own calculation for the A10 from Salsburg to Villach. As you will see Margaret experienced much higher charges for a similar trip (thanks for that by the way Margaret) and I know of someone who paid 44 euros in 2008 to drive across Austria from Innsbruck to the Italian border - a mere 50km - now that is expensive!!!!!!!!!

So I guess my original question should have been. Will those folks who have recently used a Go Box to cross Austria please let me know what route they took and what they were charged? As the "men" said "expensive is in the eyes of the beholder" so I'll figure that out all by myself.

V

Hi Bob,

Found the actual Go Box charge for 2008 Telfs to Brenner Pass . Paid 37 euros for 58 km ,but no charge for the Brenner Pass peage which is approx 8 euros for a car with a vignette .

Not cheap but easier than mountain climbing and using more fuel !!

Vernon,

A little "sting in the tail" with a GO BOX. When you sign up for a BOX at the border you will be asked the Euro emissions class for the engine. With a new van you will say Class IV or even V. However, on reading the small print on the receipt you will find you must then send the Austrian authorities within 10 days a certificate of conformity issued for your vehicle by the base vehicle manufacturer giving it's Euro emission class. Fiat are unable to issue such a certificate even if you ask them for one before leaving for Austria as emissions depend on what the coachbuilder builds on the chassis, over which Fial has no control. There is a heavy fine if you a caught with a GO BOX charging at the Class IV rate but you cannot produce the certificate of conformity. In the absence of a certficate of conformity you must register your vehicle as emissions Class 0. The result is the charge rate for using the motorway is, I believe, 50% higher than for a Class IV.

Richard.

Apologies to Bob for butting in to his question.

But as we are intending passing through Austria in 10 days time I am concerned about this emmissions declaration that Richard has mentioned . Does an "umwelt plakette" disc from Germany which I already have, not prove your emmission rating ?

Very interesting Richard. Me thinks you may have explained why people are experiencing very high charges when the official website suggests something much less?

I also wonder Ian if you were charged the 0 class omission tariff in 2008 - do you still have the ticket!

V

The emissions rating was only incorporated into the toll arrangements from January 2010, so there was no requirement to prove your rating beforehand, it was a single rate.

My previous 'van (though being over 3.5t) was Euro III anyway, and we had the new one (3.5t) for last year, so a vignette sufficed.

I've had a look at the toll regulations (which are available in English), however, and what Richard sets out is clearly in there. Not only that, but by my interpretation it makes it incredibly difficult to run at anything but the default emission rating (i.e. the higher toll).

Anyone taking a pre-pay box (which most motorhomers will need to do), is not allowed to offer proof of emissions rating at the time and point of purchase (though they must nominate such a rating at that point).

The proof of the emissions rating must instead be registered centrally (post, fax or email) within 14 days of the purchase of the Go-Box, and the means of doing this might be difficult, as Richard has highlighted. (The V5C is sufficient to prove emissions rating for Germany - by dint of registration date - but it is not at all clear that that will suffice for Austria). The alternatives appear to be various certificates that will be difficult/impossible to get hold of (and the German Umweltplakette documentation is not one of them).

If you nominate Euro 4 or 5, and subsequently fail to provide supporting proof, it would appear that (presumably sometime after 14 days) your Go-Box will become electronically invalidated, and as such you may be stopped for having not paid the (correct) tolls.

What happens if you are out of the country before the 14 days runs out isn't at all clear *-)

Jeez, I'm even more glad I've downsized.

So it looks like a quick shoot through from Fussen to the Brenner Pass and do not return the same way !! Its only three hours and out !!

As my brother in law travelllng from Switzerland to Germany via Lindau commented to the Go Box requirement for 10 km of motorway.......so you don't encourage tourism in Austria !!!

Uncle Bulgaria - 2011-05-09 5:59 PM Vernon, A little "sting in the tail" with a GO BOX. When you sign up for a BOX at the border you will be asked the Euro emissions class for the engine. With a new van you will say Class IV or even V. However, on reading the small print on the receipt you will find you must then send the Austrian authorities within 10 days a certificate of conformity issued for your vehicle by the base vehicle manufacturer giving it's Euro emission class. Fiat are unable to issue such a certificate even if you ask them for one before leaving for Austria as emissions depend on what the coachbuilder builds on the chassis, over which Fial has no control. There is a heavy fine if you a caught with a GO BOX charging at the Class IV rate but you cannot produce the certificate of conformity. In the absence of a certficate of conformity you must register your vehicle as emissions Class 0. The result is the charge rate for using the motorway is, I believe, 50% higher than for a Class IV. Richard.

German made vans have had CoCs since at least 2005.  One should have been included among the documents supplied with the van.  It may be possible to obtain a duplicate from the converter if the chassis, or build, number is quoted.  There may be a charge for this.  The CoC cannot be issued by Fiat etc because they did not finish the van, the converter did, and issues the CoC.  We had one for our first van (Burstner), bought 2005, and have one for the present van, bought 2007.

Not sure if your Hobby CoC shows the emissions class, Brian?

If it doesn't, it is unlikely that it would be acceptable for these purposes.

It is implied that if the registration document does not give the emissions class (as a V5C doesn't), then it is unacceptable (even though registration after a certain date in the EU requires certain emssion classes).

The TUV station that I obtained my umweltplakette from for my previous van were not used to issuing documents for non-German vehicles, and were confused because they could not find the equivalent of the "emissionsschlussl" field that exists on German registration documents, so we had a fine time until I finally persuaded them in pidgin German that it should be EuroIII.

My current umweltplakette was obtained online from Berlin, and they are entirely happy to go by date of first registration (and are completely au fait with "auslanders".

Must admit, I didn't get a CoC with my 'van and wondered whether I should chase it!

An ode to the Austrian Global Warming Brigade " Oh what a tangled web we weave when we practice to deceive ..."

But back to the main point. I've just taken another look at the site. The difference between the tariff for euro IV or V compliance and the default O level is +14% rather than Richard's "believed" 50%. This would add about 5 euros to my journey between Salsburg and Villach. Not welcome but not outrageous.

Unfortunately it still doesn't explain why others have been charged much high rates per km - unless they have three axles !

V

Come to think of it Ian I think you do run on 3 axles. That adds 40% to the basic tariff but still doesn't explain why you were charged at the rate of 0.64 euro/km rather than the published 0.299 euro/km for non-compliant 3 axle vehicles. Infact from what I can see the highest tariff is 0.448 euros/km and that's for mega articulated HGVs.

The mystery continues ...

V

Certain sections, such as the Brenner Autobahn, are charged at special toll rates, which are at a significantly higher level than the simple mileage rated tolls.

(e.g. for the Brenner, c eu27 for 35km for a Euro III ).

If you use one of these stretches, it inflates the cost significantly (though a vignette is not valid on that stretch either, the charge for under 3.5t is still lower at eu8 incl tax).

BTW, all the quoted toll rates for the Go-box are net of tax (which currently runs at 20%), so add another 20% to all your calculations :D

Thank you all. As my van was imported through Bundesvan from a German Dealer ,I have found three pages of paperwork that came with the van which appears to have the emmission rating and various figures which are all Greek to me !

Anyway I will report back in July. We will go through Austria anyway as Switzerland puts us off course and the extra fuel costs incurred will probably justify the Go Box. I was more concerned at appearing on a black list for not forwarding an emmission figure.

Probably about time we retaliated against our EU partners and charged their lorries a vignette for UK motorways !! We appear to have to bail out the weaker Euro countries and end up getting even less for our pound in return !!

It will be a game of "spot the UK lorry" on the M20 tomorrow !!

JudgeMental - 2011-05-10 10:52 AM

Please remind me....how much for 3500kg and under?

eu7.90 for 10 day vignette, eu23.00 for 2 months.

It's often cheaper to buy two separate 10 day vignettes if transiting several weeks apart, but don't try to pre-buy the second one, they are valid from time of purchase.

You may still have to pay extra tolls for a small number of special sections (Brenner Pass, Karawanken Tunnel, etc), but these are relatively cheap compared with over 3.5t.

All relevant details at:

http://www.asfinag.at/toll (and choose the "English" option)

Robinhood - 2011-05-10 9:46 AM

Certain sections, such as the Brenner Autobahn, are charged at special toll rates, which are at a significantly higher level than the simple mileage rated tolls.

If you use one of these stretches, it inflates the cost significantly (though a vignette is not valid on that stretch either, the charge for under 3.5t is still lower at eu8 incl tax).

BTW, all the quoted toll rates for the Go-box are net of tax (which currently runs at 20%), so add another 20% to all your calculations :D

For information the figures I've quoted do include the 20% VAT. As mentioned much earlier in this thread there is an on-line toll calculator available in which you enter your vehicle details, road numbers and start/finish points. I haven't tested this with anything other than the A10 between Salsburgh and Villach which I was planning to use.

V

Vernon B - 2011-05-10 11:17 AM

Robinhood - 2011-05-10 9:46 AM

For information the figures I've quoted do include the 20% VAT. As mentioned much earlier in this thread there is an on-line toll calculator available in which you enter your vehicle details, road numbers and start/finish points. I haven't tested this with anything other than the A10 between Salsburgh and Villach which I was planning to use.

V

....it was me that flagged the calculator :D

The Go-Box toll mileage (kilometerage) rates quoted separately on the site specifically don't include the tax (footnote at bottom of page).

The toll calculator certainly adds the Tax but only at the bottom of the route breakdown (and this may require a scroll down of the page unless the route is short).

It gives a toll total at the top of the page, however, calculated from the net figures, and it is very easy to take this as the overall cost, as it does not clearly highlight it is a net figure.

Using your Salzburg-Villach example, the figure is quoted net of VAT in the summary at the top of the results page, but only plus tax at the bottom of the route breakdown, which requires a scroll (at least on my m/c).

Didn't want anyone to get an unpleasant surprise. ;-)

oh my god how to make somthing difficult or what 8-)

Just to clarify (hopefully) we are thinking of going to Italy next year via Germay and Austria and our van is 3250kg unladen 4000kg fully laden will we need a go box or will the other one (vignette??) be ok???

Archived