Go Box or NoGo Box?

Vernon B

We found the lorry drivers in Austria when we were off motorways to be very intolerant of us and drove very close to us and we certainly had the most rude gestures during our time in Austria. Has anyone else found this

Margaret

Robinhood - 2011-05-09 11:03 PM

Not sure if your Hobby CoC shows the emissions class, Brian?

If it doesn't, it is unlikely that it would be acceptable for these purposes.

It is implied that if the registration document does not give the emissions class (as a V5C doesn't), then it is unacceptable (even though registration after a certain date in the EU requires certain emission classes).

The TUV station that I obtained my umweltplakette from for my previous van were not used to issuing documents for non-German vehicles, and were confused because they could not find the equivalent of the "emissionsschlussl" field that exists on German registration documents, so we had a fine time until I finally persuaded them in pidgin German that it should be EuroIII.

My current umweltplakette was obtained online from Berlin, and they are entirely happy to go by date of first registration (and are completely au fait with "auslanders".

Must admit, I didn't get a CoC with my 'van and wondered whether I should chase it!

Sorry Robin, missed this question and was only prompted to look by by your reference to it in the "Proving CO2 emissions" thread.

To answer, the CoC for our Hobby Van, which is all in German (reasonable, as the van was bought in Germany) gives CO2 as 0.45 g/km. That is for a 2.2 litre 130ps mk 7 Transit. The Umwelt-Plakette, which I got from TUV Sud, is Euro 4 (Green).

The CoC for our earlier van, bought spring 2005 in France, is in French but, although issued by Burstner, does not give emissions details. It was on a Fiat Ducato 2.8, 146 hp, engine with variable turbo. I assume that either the emissions data was not required by the French, or the earlier version of the Ducato pre-dated the requirement for the emissions to be stated.

....that's quite alright old chap, I fully understand that your attention has been elsewhere, trying to point out the difference between expediency and justice. :-D

The emissions classification depends not only on CO2 levels, but also on NOx, particulate matter etc., but Lenny on the parallel thread to this has highlighted that his Hymer CoC covers these as well.

I'll have to consider whether to chase mine through the dealer, but as yet, I can't see too much downside to not having one for my vehicle.

Yes, the data on NOx etc is also included in the Hobby CoC. The CoC has to be issued by the finishing manufacturer (in the case of a motorhome the likes of Burstner, Hobby, Hymer etc), and not by the supplier of the base chassis. That information, as was suggested, should be available form Frankia, but will probably not be forthcoming from Mercedes, even though it is very unlikely Frankia will have done anything other than copy the Mercedes data onto their CoC. Since the Germans are very fond of Italy, especially the Tyrol, and have a penchant for big vans, I'd be a bit surprised if Frankia didn't already have the answer to the "Austrian problem" well rehearsed and couldn't answer Vernon's query quite easily.

However, as they make it difficult to use their autobahnen, why not just take one of the non-autobahn routes across Austria and save the cost and hassle? I have seen plenty of HGVs off autobahn, so assume there is no obligation (apart perhaps from weight restrictions over 3.5 tonnes in towns/villages) for heavier vehicles to use them.

Brian Kirby - 2011-05-11 11:26 PM

Yes, the data on NOx etc is also included in the Hobby CoC. The CoC has to be issued by the finishing manufacturer (in the case of a motorhome the likes of Burstner, Hobby, Hymer etc), and not by the supplier of the base chassis. That information, as was suggested, should be available form Frankia, but will probably not be forthcoming from Mercedes, even though it is very unlikely Frankia will have done anything other than copy the Mercedes data onto their CoC. Since the Germans are very fond of Italy, especially the Tyrol, and have a penchant for big vans, I'd be a bit surprised if Frankia didn't already have the answer to the "Austrian problem" well rehearsed and couldn't answer Vernon's query quite easily.

However, as they make it difficult to use their autobahnen, why not just take one of the non-autobahn routes across Austria and save the cost and hassle? I have seen plenty of HGVs off autobahn, so assume there is no obligation (apart perhaps from weight restrictions over 3.5 tonnes in towns/villages) for heavier vehicles to use them.

Re: the last bit:

I have seen (and reposted earlier elsewhere on this site) information, confirmed by the ministry in Austria, that the 3.5t limits in towns are generally not intended to apply to motorhomes. To be more specific, those such limits that are accompanied by a pictogram of a truck may be ignored by motorhomes. Any limit that isn't so accompanied should be taken as absolute, as should axle load limits.

This means that it is generally possible to take the great majority of the older roads in a motorhome over 3.5t.

(My experience, and before I knew about the above, when last running a bigger motorhome through Austria was that these signs were being erected on many of the major routes, thus forcing much of the heavy traffic back onto the Autobahn.)

Hi Vernon. Sorry so late in replying but here is a summary of costing for our trip as promised.

19th July 2010 –Tuesday 24th August 2010 38 days

Motorhome - Chausson Allegro 93 - lowline - 2006 year- 3litre Renault Master- 3.8ton

Eurotunnel – free courtesy of Tesco vouchers

Tolls total for France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria go box, Slovenia and Croatia = £115.10

Breakdown of tolls

Austria Go box cost €80 and we had €35 back . We also had to pay €4,50 to use a tunnel in Austria. We did a lot off the autoroute and found no problem.

Slovania out = €20. Return journey which includes cost of border tunnel with Austria (€10.50) = €30.70

Croatia from junction with 522 (came from Plitvicka lakes) to Split approx £17 then Ladar to Karlovac £17 approx

Route

Total miles from South Wales to Omis in Croatia and return = 3,112

Austria we bought go box then got on Autoroute straight away. Got off at number 8 of A10. Stopped 1 night at St Michael am Lingau,. Stayed off autoroute on some steep, winding roads but good roads and very scenic. Got back on autoroute well before Villach then straight through border tunnel crossing without queuing because of Go box. Stopped at Lake Bled for 5 days (we had booked) Retuning through Austria we stayed on autoroute all the way to St Michael am Lingau and got off there. The box had given that double beep warning to top up then so we did not go back on the autoroute again and even drove through centre of Salzburg on way back. Never again as we had €35 Euros back aghhhh!

In Slovania we turned off autoroute at Junction just after Nova Mesto and picked up the 105 road. This avoided a lot of mile, tolls and a couple of hours queuing at border crossing near exit towards Zagreb. Roads were fine. Crossed border then into Croatia. Arrived at Karlovac and took wrong turning trying to find autoroute so we ended up on holiday route to Split on the number 6 then number 1 road towards Plitvicka lakes . We stopped in the van to visit lakes then drove to a campsite mid afternoon from there and loads and loads of space there.

Left Plitvicka then drove down to autoroute E 65. Excellent and quite road.

Fuel

Total cost £553.29 = 478 litres

Price per litre per country

Luxembourg was €0.99

Germany autoroute €1.25

Croatia 7.87 Kuna (Think it was about 8kuna to the £)

Austria €1.03

Belgium €1.21

France €1.11

Expect to pay £25-30 for Croatian campsites for 2 people. Not cheap as you have to go to bigger sites as access to some sites on the coast is narrow,

Would we do it again YES

Would we book NEVER just turn up my midday and you will get pitches.

TOTAL COST

Fuel £553.29

Tolls £115.10

Camping £765.75 (2 people but 2 adult children joined us for 7 nights in Croatia so costs went up then big time!!!)

£1434.14 you can add insurance, spending money etc to that

Wow took some time to list this so hope it helps you or anyone else.

:-D :-D :-D

Many thanks for all that detail Chris and the time put in. I'm sure I won't be alone in finding it extremely useful.

I'm just left with one question. How do you tease 30 mph from that 3 litre Renault engine? Light footed or what?

Many thanks

V

A the end of nearly 5 yrs with the Chausson we managed to get An average of 25pmg. The Croatian trip averaged about 28mpg but that was on autoroutes most of the way.

We loved the Renault Master. We now have a Ford 2.4 140hp and that is averaging about 24mpg after 7 months so far.A great runner too.

cHRIS

• 2 weeks later...

Sat on the harbour wall at Camping Skver in Senj with free Wifi . Hot and sunny and WINDY !

My Go Box is sat looking at me as we managed to miss the reclaim point at the Brenner Pass !! As previously mentioned,cost 80 euros when we found a garage in Telfs. Missed the garage we used last time so could not get on earlier. Police told us where to go.

So will have to go back via Austria to use up the surplus as return by post will be a problem as we paid cash and I note from our paperwork that I have a new surname !!!! So we will return to the same garage and hope our original 75 euros credit covers it !!

A 4 ton Hymer we met just followed the motorway and used the old Brenner Pass.

Anyway, Croatia is well worth it !

We were new to Austria a few weeks ago and being of 3.8t purchased a GoBox as the law stated from a local garage out there.

I assume that a transmitter signal is emitted when you pass under one of their transponders and this reduces the credit on your GoBox. We are now back in the UK complete with GoBox still attached on our windscreen.

When we purchased it we were not told that there was such a thing as a reclaim point. My questions to those in the know. How long does the credit last that is still within my GoBox whilst it sits in the UK, I assume we can go back later in the year and still use the GoBox.

How do I know when there is not credit left in the thing? And where do I take the GoBox back to, when we go back there again to reclaim any credit. Did I really need the GoBox if I had kept off the motorways

Ta

postnote - 2011-06-05 4:03 PM

We were new to Austria a few weeks ago and being of 3.8t purchased a GoBox as the law stated from a local garage out there.

I assume that a transmitter signal is emitted when you pass under one of their transponders and this reduces the credit on your GoBox. We are now back in the UK complete with GoBox still attached on our windscreen.

When we purchased it we were not told that there was such a thing as a reclaim point. My questions to those in the know. How long does the credit last that is still within my GoBox whilst it sits in the UK, I assume we can go back later in the year and still use the GoBox.

AFAIK 2 years from time of credit.

How do I know when there is not credit left in the thing?

You can query the Go-box via the pushbutton and led response.

And where do I take the GoBox back to, when we go back there again to reclaim any credit.

Again, AFAIK, any point of sale.

Did I really need the GoBox if I had kept off the motorways

No

Ta

Fairly comprehensive instructions in English here:

http://www.go-maut.at/mautsystem/go-box

Now back in Fussen ,Germany.The Go Box bleeping twice at every gantry !! Which means top up at next station. Managed to get to the garage we bought it from and had the princely sum of 1.5 euros returned from 80 euros paid out !! Next time I will avoid Austria or change vans.

Archived