Camper MOT

If the V5C also designates it as a a motorcaravan under the body type, then it is normally subject to Class IV (the same as a standard car).

Some (many?) garages/testing stations have problems with the size/weight, which means you may have to look for a station that can carry out both Class IV and Class VII tests, as they should be able to handle the weight, but it should still get a Class IV test.

(there are a small number of circumstances under which such a vehicle will not be eligible for a Class IV test - the main one being that you are actually using it commercially to carry goods, rather than your just living effects).

If you post your general location, people are often able to recommend a place for testing.

You may also find the following recent discussion helpful.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=23302&posts=17

Edit to Add:

======

I've only just realised in retrospect what I had read in your post.

Whilst the above advice is still correct anyway, if your vehicle is rated at 4 tonnes (MAM - or GVW in old money), then it should be (have been) registered as Private Heavy Goods.

This may well be causing some confusion (though Class IV still applies for MOT purposes)

Through the various anomolies of the vehicle taxation system, the rate of tax for a PHG vehicle is currently slightly less than a PLG vehicle. As it would be best to be legally registered, and there is (currently) no financial penalty for it, I would suggest you approach your local DVLA office and get the details changed, and a new tax disc issued.

The current annual vehicle excise duty for a vehicle registered as Private/Light Goods is £215, whereas the annual duty for a PHG-registered vehicle is still £165.

As robinhood advises, a 4-tonne motor-caravan should not be registered as P/LG and it's the owner's responsibility to ensure that it is re-registered in the correct PHG class.

Although a Class IV MOT-test applies to all motor-caravans, whether registered as P/LG or PHG, there are driving-licence and speed limit differences between the two vehicle excise classes.

Derek Uzzell - 2011-05-10 9:52 AM

Although a Class IV MOT-test applies to all motor-caravans, whether registered as P/LG or PHG, there are driving-licence and speed limit differences between the two vehicle excise classes.

Derek,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but whilst PLG/PHG categories and driving licence restrictions ARE based on MAM of under/over 3,500kg, speed limits ARE NOT.

Speed limit restrictions are based on whether UNLADEN weight is under or over 3,050kg (derived from 3 imperial tons) with the heavier unladen class being restricted on many roads.

I believe some PLG could potentially have an unladen weight of over 3,050kg and would then be restricted to the lower speed limits, whereas some PHG could have an unladen wieght below 3,050kg and then NOT be restricted (our AutoTrail at 3,800kg MAM and 2,945kg unladen for example).

I hope this is correct.

Keith.

Keith,

correct........BUT, only in the case of the UK. ;-)

On the continent, the MAM is usually what determines the applicable speed limit.

(My previous Rapido was 3850kg, thus PHG, but the unladen weight was below 3050kg - weighbridge proven - and so HGV speed limits in the UK did not apply - but did "sur le continent").

Archived