German shepherd dog to Ireland

Wislon

Has anyone experience of taking a German Shepherd Dog to Ireland; we are considering taking our dog and are concerned about the need for muzzling what is a pet with no bad tendencies.

We usually walk our dogs on common land and let them run free and would hope to the same. Are the Irish authorities very strict?

Any help would be appreciated.

No I haven’t taken a dog to Ireland, however you are going to a foreign country and as a mark of respect you should take a responsible attitude and muzzle your dog. I have heard it so many times after a dog has bitten someone, “oh he has never done that before”

An Australian report from 1999 provides statistics showing that German Shepherd Dogs are the third breed most likely to attack a person. And it is interesting to note that the National Geographic Channel television show, Dangerous Encounters reported the bite of a German Shepherd Dog has a force of over 238 pounds.

In closing and more importantly, don’t forget your dog could be confused by the different language spoken by the Irish.

Hope this helps. (?)

I think german sheperds are a breed that to most folk are slightly intimidating . I have been bit 3 times by 3 different german sheperds so have a little experience with em . I would suggest keeping on a lead but am sure your responsible enough without dummies like me commenting , have a good trip to Ireland

antony1969 - 2011-06-05 7:36 PM

I think german sheperds are a breed that to most folk are slightly intimidating . I have been bit 3 times by 3 different german sheperds so have a little experience with em . I would suggest keeping on a lead but am sure your responsible enough without dummies like me commenting , have a good trip to Ireland

I bet antony the owners said to you as the dogs teeth penetrated your flesh, it has never bitten anyone before.

Take heed muzzle your dog, you never know what germs it might pick up if he bites an Irish person..

:D

No Postnote nobody really said anything , the first time was a police dog biting at my leg as I escaped with stolen TV , second was police dog biting me at soccer match as I battled with other thugs and third was police dog tearing me to shreds as I parked illegally on double yellow on my moped

I no longer get either of the dog papers (Dog World, Our Dogs) but I seem to remember that the Law on dogs has recently changed in Eire and more changes were mooted to control certain breeds. I would suspect that GSD's will be included in any changes. The main problem was down to irresponsible owners (as usual).

I would suggest a google on the Irish equivalent of the RSPCA would be a good starting point for information.

antony1969 - 2011-06-05 8:13 PM

By the way Postnote there are those on here easily offended so Irish jokes are not allowed and even badmouthing Germen Sheperds can be seen as rascist

Your right, I suppose it was like the Norwegian on holiday in Ireland and when asked by an Irishman where he lived replied Norway. The Irishman said I can’t believe that you must for come from somewhere. :D

It really annoys me when people say that a certain breed of dog is potentially dangerous. If a dog behaves badly it's usually the fault of the owner for not having trained him properly. My next door neighbours have had GSDs all their life and they've never had a single problem with any of them. All of their dogs are lovely and friendly. I wish I could say the same for the horrible children who live at the end of our road! Shame they can't be muzzled!

Many years ago we took our Dobermann bitch to Eire, no problems but she had been obedience trained and was used to mixing in company, but all dog owners need to get their heads round the fact that dogs bite people. No arguments, my MIL had a life long scar from a Yorkie, the only variation is directly proportional to the size of the dogs jaw. Non dog owners are uncomfortable with large dogs.  

Why not save any aggro and take a German Shepherd with you as well :D Seriously though, why not go on Google or Ask Jeeves and ask the question about taking dogs to Ireland, I am sure that will provide many of the answers you are seeking ;-)

OFFICIALLY you dog should be muzzled and on a short leash when in a public place but it is a law observed more in the breach than the observance

"The Regulations place controls on certain breeds of dogs, namely the American Pit Bull Terrier, English Bull Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Bull Mastiff, Doberman Pinscher, German Shepherd (Alsatian), Rhodesian Ridgeback, Rottweiler, Japanese Akita, Japanese Tosa and Bandog and to strains and crosses of these dogs.

These controls require that:

• These dogs, or types and crosses thereof, must whenever they are in a public place, be kept on a short strong lead by a person over 16 years of age who is capable of controlling them, and

• These dogs must be muzzled whenever they are in a public place.

In addition, under the general regulations, all dogs must now wear a collar bearing the name and address of their owner. "

I toured for years with a Rhodesian Ridgeback and only once was I told to muzzle her

Have been to Ireland with Rottweilers and have never been asked to muzzle them (unlike France and Spain where it is mandatory). As has been said by others, and as I'm sure you already know and do, just be aware about letting your dog run free when there are people around. My dogs are gentle giants but not everyone else knows that and won't necessarily like 35 kilos of fun bounding up to them. Enjoy your trip.

ike

Archived