oil leak fiat x250 2.3

peterjl

Hi

My Autotrail fiat is just over2 years old and seems to developed a weep of oil on the near side - see photos attached.

18000 mikes thus far but no sign of any judder.

At the 2 year service garage identified that ther was some oil around area and cleaned it off but could not id a leak. I checked at 125 miles & 250 milkes and no oil to be seen but by 700 miles there was a small gathering and by the time we returned from france after 1800 miles a leak was evident.

Now - what i need to know is how serious this is likely to be - i previously has a fiat in the 90's and i knew that if it wasn't leaking it was empty but not sure if this still applies.

It is booked in to go back under the warranty an a few weeks but i don't want to be fobbed of they way mechanics can fonb off the untechnical amongst us - especially as i am off to Turkey in september.

Your thoughts and advise would be much appreciate

PS - i can't seem to load the photos - can someone tell me how - i just get error messages.

regards

Peter

1111439751_oilleak3fromnearsidebelow.JPG.75a33479bee60aa0978d626349d7b7d7.JPG

1923663442_oilleak2fromnearside.JPG.734e8ea759c22a4654547a444d68120b.JPG

Its hard to tell from the pics, but looks more like the oil is coming from the gasket seal of the flange rather then the shaft oil seal. It may just need the flange bolts tightened. If it is the oil seal on shaft it is not too big a job to do but whether FIat will do under warranty is another story.

I would say, no, it should not leak/seep any oil and if the oil seal then the shaft bearing in the box should be checked for any wear or slop.

Strewth!

Call THAT an oil leak?

Come take a look at our venerable 1992 Peugeot J5-based Motorhome - we have a total-loss engine oil lubrication system!

(Well actually not quite, but there's leaks and drips all over the place - I just top it up now and then with more el-cheapo 20/50 mineral oil............uses about a pint every couple of thousand kms)

Now now BGD, Peter's van is just over 2 years old, it should not be leaking. Might also be worth checking your engine oil level, if it is way too high then it might be getting forced out. However you would notice this with oil level too high warning shown on the odometer lcd when you trun on the ignition.

Hi

Many thank for comments - BDG - my 90's fiat certainly leaked - bigtime.

I did check oil level whilst in france - the engine oil was at the top but not overfilled - my thinking was that if it started going down then that would give some idea of the extent of the problem.

My concern is whether or not it is likely to get worse - i will be pushing to get fixed.

Peter

Actually it's the same as the previous version in that you remove the speedo drive and top it up until it runs out or as near the top as possible.

This looks like the diff oil seal and it must have been faulty from new. It should be done under warranty as these vans do not leak oil normally unless as stated there is a serious excess engine oil problem caused by leaking injectors or just too much oil being added. Neither of which are at all likely at this low mileage.

Be a pain at the dealer and insist on getting it done. It will most likely never become more of a 'leak' than it is now but you have a right.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Just what are you trying to point out? it seems to have sunk in with op that it's not engine oil and brambles realised his mistake.

But if you realy want to know you pour it into rocker box, at least you do on my car

Hi

Just to update you all - took it back to Brownhills yesterday in the morning - all work done under warranty - home by tea time! When i got home, after 130 miles, i crawled under the van and had a look - it all looked fine to my untutored eye.

Thank you everybody for your comments - especially Nick.

In the event i did not have to push or argue (the job was just done with no fuss) but i went in confident that i knew what outcome i was looking for.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

The saga continues

Took for a run today (to fill up with tesco vouchers deisel) and checked underneath - there seem to be another leak.

First around what may be a drain plug - picture attached and comments welcome

Secondly - there is still hint of a leak around original leak point but not sure if i am beiung paranoid.

Thoughts welcome - especially Nick.

Thank you

Peter

1989365517_newleakpoint.JPG.cf9d49a03159ed55e4185e02791efd1e.JPG

357999658_oldleakpoint.JPG.375b715bea9ac370a50efe87fc164913.JPG

That isn't oil! At a guess it is hydraulic fluid, and at a further guess, it is from the power steering. Check your steering and brake reservoir levels to see if they are on the "full" mark. If either is near the "low" mark, I'd suggest you get them to collect, it rather than driving it.

Brian Kirby - 2011-07-24 8:00 PM

That isn't oil! At a guess it is hydraulic fluid, and at a further guess, it is from the power steering. Check your steering and brake reservoir levels to see if they are on the "full" mark. If either is near the "low" mark, I'd suggest you get them to collect, it rather than driving it.

If the fluid is indeed red as it appears in photo, then I agree with Brian, unless someone knows of any other red fluid used on a x250.

Thank you for that heads up!

I have just gone with a torch to have a look, I think it's the power steering cos that is red ,,, currently that is about half way between hi and lo marks.

I wiped my fingers over the plug where the drip had gathered and you are correct, it's not oil.

Oh well , at least it's found before the 4000 miles I will be doing in a few weeks but I could do without the hassle.

Thank you very much for your guidance

Peter

Archived