Printer for travelling use

Ocsid

We would like a small light monochrome printer to carry with us, mainly to be able to print out Memory Maps for walking and cycling.

To get the weight and bulk down an inkjet looks the ticket but our home experience [Epson] is that every time it's needed on an infrequent basis one or more jet has dried out.

Compounding this, if the colour unit is not in place and working the thing does not work at all. Or is that just an Epson feature? We have found the thing we have to be an expensive curse rather than asset .

We can live with just black and white so is there a make out there that works with just a viable "black" unit in place? We can reluctantly accept buying just the black cartridge each time it "fails".

Or is it a cheap laser one that we have to go for; pity if it is as they are appreciably heavier?

Thanks for any recommendations.

Ocsid - 2011-07-21 7:48 AM

We would like a small light monochrome printer to carry with us, mainly to be able to print out Memory Maps for walking and cycling.

To get the weight and bulk down an inkjet looks the ticket but our home experience [Epson] is that every time it's needed on an infrequent basis one or more jet has dried out.

Compounding this, if the colour unit is not in place and working the thing does not work at all. Or is that just an Epson feature? We have found the thing we have to be an expensive curse rather than asset .

We can live with just black and white so is there a make out there that works with just a viable "black" unit in place? We can reluctantly accept buying just the black cartridge each time it "fails".

Or is it a cheap laser one that we have to go for; pity if it is as they are appreciably heavier?

Thanks for any recommendations.

I have found that taking an ink-jet away in a motorhome is a waste of time. I carried my Epson S400 with me for a year (full timing) and every time I wanted to print the ink had dried up. This required fitting new black and colour cartridges (which works out very expensive) each time you want a printout.

I have been looking at Lasers but they have a problem with toner settling or being shaken out during travel.

After discussion with a printer friend he suggested a laser that had removable toner containers. Another suggestion was removing the toner cartridge each time and bagging it after covering with cling film.

I tried removing an ink jet cartridge and covering it with cling film but that didn't solve the problem.

Has anyone used a laser printer in this situation successfully?

As I carry Fugawi OS maps with me on the netbook (and sometimes print the maps out in advance for an area we are visiting), I've looked at this a few times (though with a colour printer, as I find OS maps much more easy to use in colour).

I've always been put off by the issues already highlighted (ink issues and up-front cost for limited functionality).

I think if I ever want to do something about it, I'm likely to take a completely different approach, and buy an OS-display-capable GPS unit complete with the full UK OS maps. At the moment, the following is favourite (and though not cheap is a lot cheaper than it was at launch).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Satmap-Active-10-Plus-Outdoor/dp/B0049A2S70/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1311251544&sr=1-1

Since it can also be adapted to fit a bike-mount, it would suit my requirements quite nicely.

I would gall me a bit to have to buy (admittedly within that price) the whole GB OS maps again (though my existing ones are now a bit old), but it is still quite a decent price.

If you wanted to save money with a similar approach, if the version of Memory Map you have is compatible, you could always consider their Adventurer 2800 unit (and buy without maps) - though from reviews this is not as good as the Satmap.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002XEC0EA/ref=asc_df_B002XEC0EA3688324?smid=A15CAWQO605CF3&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B002XEC0EA

Not quite the type of answer you're looking for (and I'm assuming that, as you want to print out maps, you don't have something similar already). I just thought that, if you were going to invest, a different direction might give considerably more functionality.

The key with any printer you get, be it inkjet or laser, is to USE IT at least once a fortnight, that means taking it out of your camper when you are home and using it in the house.

Treat it as you would a motorhome battery - ideally you wouldn't want that to go flat due to lack of use so should be regularly keeping it topped up - so when you charge the motorhome battery, use the printer and you shouldn't have any problems.

I have an Epson printer which in the past has had ink drying up, but I bought cartridges from Lidl as I only use the Epson rarely. Today I thought I would use it for the first time for over a year as I wanted to do some black printing and much to my surprise it worked ok, the first copy was a bit off but after that everything fine. So it wont get binned just yet.

I had thought about taking a printer away but the cost of a small one was too much.

David

We have an HP460 often doesn't get used for 6 months or more at a time works every time & the battery usually stays charged as well, not bad for a refurbished one brought on eBay for £36. If you want you can run it with just the black cartridge installed

The HP portables do a better job of sealing the ink cartridges when not in use & if you are unlucky and they block up you can just pop in a new cartridge where with the Epson's they have separate print heads and they can be as dear as a new printer.

ive used a canon i90 for some time the ink cartrdges are small printing about 100 b&w or &= colour pages,From canon they cost a lot from ebay around £3 each

The idea is to order every two months that the printer has fresh afordable ink

If your pottering about in the camping car have someone send the fresh ink cartriges to you via post restant

The canon i90 / i100 are very compact and travel proof

If you find an HP 460 buy one they are much better than the canon and the ink cartriges last a lot longer can be found anywhere & arnt mearly so costly even from HP

Thank you all for your help including the brilliant "out-side of the box" suggestions.

I am quite sure my issues are rooted in not using the wretched thing often enough.

So my first option will be resurrect the Epson trying cheap non OEM cartridges, and carry that. If it works then that way we will benefit from coloured maps, a significant advantage I know.

If these cartridges or the bumping about wreck the printer so be it; with it sitting doing nothing it is of little value anyway.

Thanks again, John

Archived