230 volt heating element in fridge

Dave225

As anyone an estimate of the life expectancy of the 230 volt heating element in a fridge? I only ask because mine has performed without a hitch for the last 5 years but has definitely had a hard life working for several months each year in temperatures of 30 plus. As the outfit is due a service I am wondering if there would be advantage in getting the element changed at the same time, and have another 5 years of troublefree cooling.

had mine done recently, only because it had ceased working, cost 80 pounds fitted, if you have that money to throw away then ok, but i am a great believer in the saying "if it aint broke, then dont fix it", its your choice.

Hi,
It really depends on how much use it has got. Sure if you feel happy in doing that, replace it during service, but don't forget you have your gas to fall back on should the 220/230v heating element fail and then you can replace it. Some fail quite early in their life while others go way past it (7/8 years). Hope this estimate helps.
Regards,
Brendan

Without moving parts your element is only likely to fail through excessive vibration or bumps causing either the element or connecting wires to go open circuit. In 40 years only had one fail and replaced that very easily as it was a simple "rod element"that just pulled out and it was accessed through the fridge vent. Wait until it fails. The other point is that most components fail in their early life, probably in the first year. So unless your element is very, very old then a replacement is more likely to fail than the old one. (Source: Did a bit of reliability engineering in the past) and that's why they sell you extended warranty so you pay for cover when you least need it!

Thank you for the comments. Well, it seems the opinon is to leave it alone until it fails. I can understand that, my only concern was if it wasto fail at the start of a long break in the Med, then I could be looking at using a lot of gas. The fridge will use about a cylinder per month from reports I have seen.

I must check out whether the element is accesible from the rear so if necessary, a change could be made.

I accept I may be getting overcautious, but having hot beer in the sun is no joke, plus having the 'boss' complaining her f ood is going off, will spoil the fun.

I also admit I have a back up. I am buying a normal fridge, of small size to carry to put in the awning. It is about the same size as a 3 way box fridge but half the price, and works better as it has a compressor. I have tried electric coolboxes with mixed success, and realise the money wasted could be put to better use. We ai for the sun at Easter and do not return until September, so the fridge is very important.

Thank you for the comments. Well, it seems the opinon is to leave it alone until it fails. I can understand that, my only concern was if it wasto fail at the start of a long break in the Med, then I could be looking at using a lot of gas. The fridge will use about a cylinder per month from reports I have seen.

I must check out whether the element is accesible from the rear so if necessary, a change could be made.

I accept I may be getting overcautious, but having hot beer in the sun is no joke, plus having the 'boss' complaining her f ood is going off, will spoil the fun.

I also admit I have a back up. I am buying a normal fridge, of small size to carry to put in the awning. It is about the same size as a 3 way box fridge but half the price, and works better as it has a compressor. I have tried electric coolboxes with mixed success, and realise the money wasted could be put to better use. We ai for the sun at Easter and do not return until September, so the fridge is very important.

• 2 weeks later...
onecal - 2011-07-29 11:25 PMHi,
If you are going for a long time and are worried it may fail and you feel it has given you good service, then P.M. is no harm. Hot beer hmmmmm' yep I might just change it.
Regards,
Brendan

If your that worried just take a spare and save the labour, you will probably carry it for that many years that when you want it you won't be able to find it!

You are robably right. Like others I have a box of 'bits and pieces' for that 'you never know' situation. Mind you it has often been the source of spares for other campers when abroad, wonder if I can get payment....? But if I can help out, then no problem.

Archived