LED Fluorescent Tubes?

laimeduck

My Benimar 2 kinds of lighting internally: G4 halogen 10 watt & T5 8W fluorescent tubes.

I have searched threads & I think I know what to do with the G4's to change to LED bulbs

However, I can't find a reference to changing the T5 fluorescent tubes to LED strips/tubes? Can this be done?

Does it require modifications?

Thanks in advance

Unless you are prepared to carry out surgery on the fittings, you can't.

Fluorescent tubes require starters, that are built into the electronics of the fittings, and LED's do not. Also, the LED strips have different connectors to fluorescent tubes, so will not directly substitute for them.

If you strip out all the electronics from your existing fittings, remove the lamp holders, and insert an LED strip of the right length, or trim a length of LED rope to right length, and connect it up to the + and - terminals of the fitting, you may be able to keep the fitting with LEDs as a light source.

Otherwise, leave alone, because fluorescents are in any case efficient and the gain will be small in relationship to cost, or discard the existing fitting, and either substitute an LED strip (or rope) and attach it direct if the location is out of sight, or buy and fit a new LED fitting complete.

You can get LED Rods where the LED's are mounted on a ridged strip with a plug and socket at each end so they can be linked together.

You could then take out you existing fitting and replace with a LED rod and fit a switch to control them or do as Brian says & rebuild the fitting.

A 250mm LED Rod's power consumption is 10Watts, the light will be more directional than a fluorescent so not really much point, I'd stay with the fluorescents.

The answer to your question is a straightforward YES. You can now buy direct LED replacements for flourescent tubes that fit in the original fittings and run without any surgery or re-wiring.

BUT

Mel is right. There is little advantage to be gained by changing tubes to LEDs so leave them as they are. Tubes are a lot cheaper.

Replace any filiament bulb type lights with LEDs for sure.

C.

Clive - 2011-10-29 10:39 PM

The answer to your question is a straightforward YES. You can now buy direct LED replacements for flourescent tubes that fit in the original fittings and run without any surgery or re-wiring.

BUT

Mel is right. There is little advantage to be gained by changing tubes to LEDs so leave them as they are. Tubes are a lot cheaper.

Replace any filiament bulb type lights with LEDs for sure.

C.

Well! Apologies for saying you can't, I haven't seen them before. Seems the main claimed advantage is no mercury content, plus about 50% reduction in consumption, at what seems a very high price. Just out of interest, Clive, do you know how they cope with the standard fluorescent gear? It seems some require wiring adaptations, but not all.

Hi Jeremy and all,

I have just replaced all eight of the fluorescent tubes in our MH with LED's from Aten Lighting, as well as all 10 of the G4 spots and downlighters!

As well as the bulbs I bought a 25cm strip off them at the NEC show for the over cooker light and was so impressed with the improvement in light quality (the OH hates fluorescents with a passion) that I decided to replace all the over locker fluorescent lights as well.

The LED's I bought are sticky backed flexible strips with 60 LED's per metre (3 LED's in 5cm) and can be supplied to any length in 5cm increments.

To replace a standard fluorescent tube you have to remove the electronics as mentioned previously and connect the new wires directly to the existing switch or feed wires if no switch is fitted. With our over locker lights I simply removed the entire light fitting which was held on with double sided sticky tape and stuck the LED strip in it's place - Simples.

They cost £27 per metre and this works out at £6.75 for a 30cm tube as the LED's need to be fractionally shorter to fit in the space vacated by the tube and hence are 25cm long.

If you buy at a show they normally do a discount and if you ask nicely they also offer this to post show orders.

HTH,

Keith.

PS Forgot to say, they are not listed on their website so you will have to ring them for details.

They are quoted as 14 Watts per metre so around half the consumption of a similar fluorescent. eg a 50cm striplight I removed was 15 Watts and the LED's would be 7 Watts. Result.

PPS And to finally say I bought Warm White as the light is far easier on your eyes that from the plain White.

Keithl - 2011-10-31 10:29 AM

Hi Jeremy and all,

I have just replaced all eight of the fluorescent tubes in our MH with LED's from Aten Lighting, as well as all 10 of the G4 spots and downlighters!

As well as the bulbs I bought a 25cm strip off them at the NEC show for the over cooker light and was so impressed with the improvement in light quality (the OH hates fluorescents with a passion) that I decided to replace all the over locker fluorescent lights as well.

The LED's I bought are sticky backed flexible strips with 60 LED's per metre (3 LED's in 5cm) and can be supplied to any length in 5cm increments.

To replace a standard fluorescent tube you have to remove the electronics as mentioned previously and connect the new wires directly to the existing switch or feed wires if no switch is fitted. With our over locker lights I simply removed the entire light fitting which was held on with double sided sticky tape and stuck the LED strip in it's place - Simples.

They cost £27 per metre and this works out at £6.75 for a 30cm tube as the LED's need to be fractionally shorter to fit in the space vacated by the tube and hence are 25cm long.

If you buy at a show they normally do a discount and if you ask nicely they also offer this to post show orders.

HTH,

Keith.

PS Forgot to say, they are not listed on their website so you will have to ring them for details.

They are quoted as 14 Watts per metre so around half the consumption of a similar fluorescent. eg a 50cm striplight I removed was 15 Watts and the LED's would be 7 Watts. Result.

PPS And to finally say I bought Warm White as the light is far easier on your eyes that from the plain White.

Keith thanks for this - I have bought a cuttable strip & will try it out - Maybe in the wardrobe first where looks are not critical, then I may adapt some tubes. (I have gone for a cheapo HongKong product, & will feedback my experience)

Archived