Motorhome covers

Mickydripin

Keithl - 2011-11-13 7:21 PM

Hi Mike,

Have a look at Van Comfort, they list a full range of external covers and jackets. We have their internal screens and are very pleased with them.

Keith.

Hello Mike,

I can certainly support Keith's recommendation of Van Comfort. Their recent service for us was fantastic.

We decided in October to go to the German Christmas markets in early December. Having had a daughter who attended a German University we know how cold and snowy parts of Germany can be so although our van has fixed internal blinds we decided that to keep down condensation or even thick ice, external blinds would be advisable.

On Monday 24th October after a fruitless weekend searching the internet for a "ready made" or even listed external blind for our 2005 Knaus A class, I telephoned lots of British manufacturers/suppliers. The reaction I got ranged from polite rejection to "off hand rudeness" all that is except Van Comfort.

Their reaction to my enquiry was very different. They had not supplied a blind for any Knaus A class of the age and range of our van. However, they offered to cut a template explaining this would cost me an extra £25 and that I would need to send photographs and full measurements. I said I was prepared to drive to Retford for them to measure our van if this would help. I was concerned that I might not have the screen in time for the end of November. The gentleman I spoke to said, the screen I wanted was manufactured in Germany and that Van Comfort had a “slot” the next week in the manufacturers schedule. He contacted Germany to find out if my order could be added. He telephoned me within the hour, to confirm this was possible and arranged for me to visit their agent in Sheffield (nearer our home) the next day, 25th Oct to have the template made. I received an email before 9:00 am on Thursday 27th confirming details. I telephoned and paid. On Wednesday 9th Nov, two weeks after our “one off special” screen was ordered, it arrived at our home.

Part of our money went to a German manufacturer and part to a fantastic supplier in England. Today the highest unemployment figures for many years in England were announced, whilst Germany announced last week the lowest unemployment figures for 20 years. I wonder why?

Regards,

Carl

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody sorry for not getting back sooner I have now checked the companys that you suggested and for a full front cover for my X250 will cost me from £299 none insulated, from Taylormade.

To £450 full insulation from Van comfort a lot of money compaired to a full motorhome cover for just over £100.(but dont fancy dragging that over the van every time).

Time to put my thinking cap on or to go begging to her that must be obayed.

Thanks. Mike

Maybe I'm being too simplistic, but what about getting a full cover and cutting off the front part so you can just use that??????

What a great Idea mel I do have a full cover but it is too small it was for my old van and was never used and if I sell it I would not get what I want for it now you have got me thinking.

Mike.

Wanderbirds - 2011-11-16 10:32 PM

Part of our money went to a German manufacturer and part to a fantastic supplier in England. Today the highest unemployment figures for many years in England were announced, whilst Germany announced last week the lowest unemployment figures for 20 years. I wonder why?

A reluctance to pay people a decent wage and tax to the max, though the red top rag mag readers would say it's because of our benefit system. Germany has a benefit system too.........it's called employment. ;-)

A few years ago I met an english guy who had lived and worked in Germany for almost thirty years (in Berlin), and NEVER set foot back in the UK since he left. He told me his lifestyle was far better than what he could ever have had had he remained here.

Mickydripin - 2011-11-27 1:39 PM

Maybe I'm being too simplistic, but what about getting a full cover and cutting off the front part so you can just use that??????

What a great Idea mel I do have a full cover but it is too small it was for my old van and was never used and if I sell it I would not get what I want for it now you have got me thinking.

Mike.

I'm currently considering getting a caravan cover and adapting it to fit out motorhome - there's one locally at the moment for £50, of very good quailty and having had little use. As it comes with some extra material it gives me the option of altering it to make it fit over the 'nose' - I do have an old sewing machine which I could use and some seam waterproofing (if necessary), so I could also put in the door access where I want.

So, I'll pick your brain now ... as you have a cover, how easy do you think it would be to do what I propose to the caravan cover? Would it be too thick? :-S

Archived