oil filled radiator

ike

Hi Folks

I'm looking for a small oil filled radiator with a timer and, if possible, a frost control switch to keep the van heated, both when we're in it and when it's parked up outside the house. I bought two last year but they are rather large - ok when van not in use but too big for when we're living in it. I've looked at a few websites but no luck yet. Can anyone point me in the right direction please? I have a very small convector heater but find this dries the air. Thanks in advance.

ike

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4152167/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+and+furniture%7C14417894/c_2/2%7C14417894%7CHeaters+and+radiators%7C14417957.htm

This delonghi bambi heater is brilliant and low wattage. I have used it for the last 2 years and over winter we keep it on frost control or very low and it cuts in when temperature drops. There are no sharp edges and we store it easily.

Highly recommend it

chris

Guest pelmetman
We have skirting heater fitted, which we find is great for background heating, and when on HU we can leave it on even when boiling the kettle:D
Apparently you can add a thermostat, and a timer, have a look at the Dimplex website.    

DSC00052web.jpg.8bab6415322cfb2323a1e74997f9fe1e.jpg

Thanks Chris I looked at that one but thought 0.5watts would not be sufficient to keep us warm. We live in the frozen wastes of Scotland! Does it give of a good heat, sufficient for when one is sitting in the van?

Thanks ike

I always use oilfilled radiators when on 'hookup' on ste in winter, and i keep one running in the van through the winter when the van is not in use, as I want to be able to use it at short notice, SO, no draining down palaver. I have an inboard water tank so thats OK.

This one on Amazon looks smart in Black, and it goes upto 900w most of the others are 450/500w

http://www.amazon.co.uk/900W-Black-Oil-Filled-Radiator/dp/B002XLEPTQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1321475693&sr=8-4

And it's a reasonable price too. ;-) Ray

just noticed,no timer ! but i use one of the clockwork plug in jobbies,works just as well.

ike - 2011-11-16 7:54 PM.................................... I have a very small convector heater but find this dries the air. Thanks in advance.

ike

All electric heaters, whether oil filled or not, will "dry" the air, so there will be no real difference in actual humidity levels whatever type you use. Oil filled radiators are also so-called "convector" type heaters.

Sitting downstream of a fan heater the air is noticeably drier, because the output stream is relatively warm, and so its relative humidity (RH) low, but once circulated around it cools, and the RH then rises again. If the air outside the van is cold, it will not be carrying much moisture compared to air on a warm day. If that air is heated, as it will be inside the van, its RH will fall as it is warmed up. It is that which makes the air uncomfortably dry to the nose and throat.

The only solution is to get the kettle on and work up a fug - but then the condensation starts! Can't win, can you? :-D

I'm not aware of any small oil filled radiators with a timer, however, that can easily be sorted by the use of a normal household timer such as the below:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A1%257C66%253A1%257C39%253A6&rt=nc&_nkw=digital+timer+socket&_dmd=2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_vc=1&_sop=15&_sc=1

along with a small oil filled radiator:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=oil+filled+radiator&_sacat=0&_sop=15&_dmd=2&_odkw=digital+timer+socket&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Ike,

I tried using a 500W oil filled rad in our MH last winter to keep the frost at bay whilst parked up but it wasn't powerful enough.

I had to resort to at least 1kW to keep the temp in the van above freezing. Also I found the stat did not go low enough and switched the heater on when the temp was still about 6 or 7ºC so I now have a separate frost stat wired into an extension lead to keep the heater off until the temp is lower. I did see a digital plug in thermostat somewhere but can't remember where now :-( If I remember where I'll let you know.

Have a look at the range on offer in Screwfix, that's where I got mine from (I actaully use 4 in the MH, outbuildings and workshop).

Keith.

We use a Delongi 800watt Oil Filled Radiator,in a 6m motorhome, but they can take a while to initially get the van warm.

The point raised regarding the Delongi range not having sharp edges is good advise in the confines of a Motorhome. (especially when getting out for that night excursion to the loo)

Anything in the 500watt to 1200watt should be OK depending on the size of your Motorhome.

IMO these are safer for overnight / unattended use, but a convector heater can be useful if you want to warm the Motorhome quickly.

Check total Amps if you want to run both together, as convector heaters tend to be of a higher wattage.

Found it! (but too late to edit).

Rather than use a timer why not use a frost stat so you do not risk a freeze up if the temperature drops while your time clock is off.

This is the one I referred to earlier, I think you'll see how I came across it when you follow this Lunk.

Keith.

I recently purchased a 4ft tube heater for £30 from an electrical w/saler, to use in our van during the frosty or damp nights when its not in use during winter. they are very economical to run and can be 'left on' for quite a lenght of time . The tube heater is the type that can be used for greenhouses/ garages etc. Have it ftted up to time switch to come on/off automatically. Did search thru garden centres etc to no avail, and a guy there said to try an electrical w/saler. I bought from Edmundsons.

Got my radiators mixed up in my earlier post. We looked at the Bambino but found this one....oil free so no concerns about the 'highly unlikely' oil fire....one less thing to worry about....

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4152686/Trail/searchtext%3EOIL+FREE.htm

It is brilliant...nice and small for MH storage and doesn't get in the way in use.

Not oil-filled, but a convector, with built-in fan and timer. Rated up to 2KW, but has three heat level settings - 750 watts, 1250 watts and 2000 watts. £24.50.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MANOR-2KW-PORTABLE-CONVECTOR-HEATER-TURBO-AND-TIMER-/130583341844?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item1e675fab14

The company selling the heater - Gardiner Haskins - has a big department store in central Bristol.

Guest pelmetman
Lots of cheap heaters there:-)but they all need packing away plugging in to one of the two/three sockets supplied by the manufacturer*-)...................where ours is permanently fixed in place and just needs a flick of a switch:D   

Ike

The Bambi is good enough for us and we put it between the seats of the cab and it keeps us warm in evenings. At night we move the radiator to the middle of the van and turn it right down so we sleep comfortably. We have a 7 metre van.

We are more than happy with it and if it is really really really cold then we can put blown air heating on too.

i usually get up in night and turn it down.

Benefits:-

* small

* no sharp edges

* can dry things by hanging them nearby or keeping an eye on them if putting a towel on them etc. (never leave unattended and rarely do this so dont shout!)

* low energy so does not blow site electrics :-D

* used to wedge it behind drivers seat when travelling but now store in garage.

chris

Archived