Antifreeze for fresh water

Bulletguy

Thanks Keith

The one on RV Spares looks ok and not a bad price either. Does state it's tasteless so I assume it might be ok in a brew. Normally i'd be draining down now but am off to Spain on Monday for a couple of month. Hoping I won't need to mither about watching the temp there though! (lol)

Bulletguy - 2011-11-30 8:47 PM

Thanks Keith

The one on RV Spares looks ok and not a bad price either. Does state it's tasteless so I assume it might be ok in a brew. Normally i'd be draining down now but am off to Spain on Monday for a couple of month. Hoping I won't need to mither about watching the temp there though! (lol)

Anti-freeze for potable water systems is not (repeat NOT) intended to be used in an in-use vehicle or ingested. It is intended for protecting an out-of-use motorhome's (or boat's) water system from frost damage and should be well flushed out from the system before the motorhome/boat is brought back into use.

The normal constituent of this type of antifreeze is propylene glycol and, while drinking this may not kill you, it certainly won't do you any good either. I refer you to the INGESTION warning in SECTION X - EMERGENCY AND FIRST AID PROCEDURES on Page 4 of the following data sheet for the Winter Ban product:

http://www.arleighonline.co.uk/Downloads/Winterban%20100%20COSH%20data.pdf

Indeed not!  Our retail experience says there are three common misunderstandings about Potable Antifreeze like Camco's Winterban, they are

a) you can drink it - definitely not!  Comments about 'no taste' refer only to the system after it has been well flushed through in Spring.

b) cheapest is cheapest - not necessarily, the more concentrated form is dearer per litre to buy but is usually the more economical in use and is 'greener' in the sense that less transport is required.

c) you need vast quantities of it to fill the system - no, just enough to pump through to leave a residue of protected mix in taps, pumps, etc., for a winter lay up. And do remember to remove or by-pass any water filter it would destroy that. 

colin - 2011-12-01 7:43 PM

Or you could fill the system with vodka, fairly good antifreeze properties and not bad to drink :D don't know how it would affect a truma combi, but after a couple of glass's who would care?

Also suggested on the link Keithl provided earlier in this thread.

To be sure of not harming Truma appliances, it might be preferable to use schnaps rather than vodka.

Archived