New Pet Passport Rules for 1/1/12

derek500

Right, after many attempts I have managed to get through to DEFRA. Very helpful lady who has put my mind at rest and provided extra information.

She says:

Only the UK has ever insisted on a blood test to enter the country (not sure this is correct as I know the French definitely do, or did, insist on blood tests). The only stipulation now is the 21 days wait to enter any EU country if it is the first vaccination or a re-do if the previous licence date has been missed.

Blood tests are no longer a requirement for the UK - the pet only needs a passport.

No matter what the requirements are for residents in EU countries, the UK passport is the important factor UNLESS you stay in another country for more than 3 months. If this is the case you then have to adhere to that country's rules.

If the vaccine is licensed for 3 years that will remain valid so Tracker need not worry. However, she did explain that although it might be the same vaccine that is licensed for 3 years in the UK, it might have a shorter licence in countries that have known rabies e.g. France and Spain.

I hope I have helped to clarify the situation a bit.

At least I have sorted my onw dilema and can rest easy!!

Guest Tracker
Patricia - 2011-12-06 4:38 PM

If the vaccine is licensed for 3 years that will remain valid so Tracker need not worry. However, she did explain that although it might be the same vaccine that is licensed for 3 years in the UK, it might have a shorter licence in countries that have known rabies e.g. France and Spain.

Many thanks for sharing all your valued efforts with us Patricia, although I'm not sure that I'm any further forward on the two year / three year rule?

My inclination is still to follow the advice of the French vet we saw in Ardres and get Rosie jabbed again in January rather than risk any future problems or confusion when returning to the UK next year on the basis that it's better than 'running out' of alleged protection and having to start again with an extra three weeks enforced holiday in France.

On the other hand would I really be so upset at having to stay on in a country so Motorhome friendly - if a bit expensive at times?

peterjl - 2011-12-03 7:52 PM

maggyd - 2011-12-02 11:33 AM

Thanks for the info Derek.

Ive been looking up treatments as I usually try to take my own, as having two very small dogs I dont much like the idea of an injection for worms!

Ive found Cestem worming tablets that have the required Praziquantel in them also it comes in a pack of two, Im just wondering though if I would have a problem with that as the French Vets usually use either Drontel or the injection :-S I suppose there is only one way to find out.!! :-)

Hi

We use Milbemax wormer that also has Praziquantel as a constituent active ingredient. We have had vets use this in the past.

Peter

I think this next year we will leave it to the Vet and see what he intends :-S I might say I would prefer the tablet if possible, but in the end you have to trust him even though I will be very nervous of the vacination.

Our dog was well into its third year of the Rabies injection, we did not encounter any problems.

He was re injected about a month before the third year was up, our vet and the French vet were not concerned. Its states on the passport that the injection is valid for three years.

Also we were told by the Vet that once the Vaccine had taken proved by the Blood test you could take the dog abroad to an EU country but not re enter the UK until 6 months were up.

Tracker, perhaps I did not explain clearly. You definitely do not need to worry. You are covered until the date stated in the passport: that will not change.

In future the vaccine producers may, of course. change the length of validity (in fact some vaccines used in the UK now are only licensed for two years) but that will not affect you as long as it covers the trip you are planning.

If you are in England when it expires, what is the problem now? There is no blood test so you would just have to make sure that the injection was carried out 21 days before you travel.

If the validity runs out while you are abroad you will have to have the injection done, before the expiry date, at a French vet but be prepared that it will only cover your dog for one year, not three. It is a lot cheaper over there than here anyway. Of coure the vaccine validity date may be extended in France in time to come anyway.

If you plan to stay longer than three months you will have to come under the French system anyway.

David Dwight - 2011-12-06 8:55 PM

Our dog was well into its third year of the Rabies injection, we did not encounter any problems.

He was re injected about a month before the third year was up, our vet and the French vet were not concerned. Its states on the passport that the injection is valid for three years.

Also we were told by the Vet that once the Vaccine had taken proved by the Blood test you could take the dog abroad to an EU country but not re enter the UK until 6 months were up.

Those were the old rules David, have a look at the Defra link, you dont now need the blood test or you wont after Jan; and the six month re-entry rule has been changed as well.

Archived