New Pet Passport Rules for 1/1/12

derek500

Defra have now confirmed the expected changes for re-entry into the UK from EU countries.

The main changes are the time period for vet treatment is increased to 24- 120 hours from 24-48 hours and the tick treatment is no longer compulsory.

The times are now based on 'scheduled arrival time in the UK' and not 'check in' time as now.

Don't forget the medical examination is not required for cross channel ferries (it never has been), so don't waste money needlessly.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/pet-owners/parasites/#travellingfrom1jan

There is a complete contradiction though in the new rules.

Not less than 24 hours and not more than 120 hours (1-5 days) before its scheduled arrival time in the UK

and

When you arrive at the check-in point, if less than 24 hours has passed since the treatment, you will have to wait until the full 24 hours have passed before you can check in with your pet.

So what if you are on a long crossing??!!

Guest pelmetman

Thanks for posting this Derek. 

It should make our visit to the vet a bit cheaper although we will, of course, still keep using the Frontline for ticks and fleas to treat Troy with.

SUE

Thanks for the info Derek.

Ive been looking up treatments as I usually try to take my own, as having two very small dogs I dont much like the idea of an injection for worms!

Ive found Cestem worming tablets that have the required Praziquantel in them also it comes in a pack of two, Im just wondering though if I would have a problem with that as the French Vets usually use either Drontel or the injection :-S I suppose there is only one way to find out.!! :-)

Thank you Derek. I have been checking this website from time to time but had missed this update.

I am not intending to take a long crossing at present because my dog is only a pup but obviously I could get delayed on the journey to the port etc. and it occurred to me that there is an hour difference (at least). It is therefore important to clarify the ambiguities in the document e.g. calculate at port arrival or arrival in the UK?

I am also finding it difficult to be completely sure about the blood test rules. My pup is now chipped and my vet stopped doing blood tests some time ago. However, reading the documents is could be construed that blood tests are still required before 1 January. Pup will have the rabies injection next week and then I am travelling to France on 14 January and returning end of March / beginning of April. I certainly want to avoid the blood test but I am not sure whether her passport will be legal so I have emailed DEFRA for some clarification.

Guest Tracker

Our dog's last rabies booster was for three years and it was done almost two years ago.

Both the vet we saw in France in October and our local vet in September suggested that we might like to ignore the three year timescale and get her re-boosted after two years because they both considered that there was a risk that the three year span might revert back to two years and if we were over the two year limit we would have to start all over again with a new waiting period etc. at much bigger cost.

It still seems unclear what will happen regarding rabies jabs?

Tracker - 2011-12-02 12:49 PMOur dog's last rabies booster was for three years and it was done almost two years ago.Both the vet we saw in France in October and our local vet in September suggested that we might like to ignore the three year timescale and get her re-boosted after two years because they both considered that there was a risk that the three year span might revert back to two years and if we were over the two year limit we would have to start all over again with a new waiting period etc. at much bigger cost.It still seems unclear what will happen regarding rabies jabs?

I certainly know that the French use exactly the same serum as my vet in the UK but they only license it for one year, not even two, so perhaps this will change as well?

derek500 - 2011-12-02 9:42 AM

Defra have now confirmed the expected changes for re-entry into the UK from EU countries.

The main changes are the time period for vet treatment is increased to 24- 120 hours from 24-48 hours and the tick treatment is no longer compulsory.

The times are now based on 'scheduled arrival time in the UK' and not 'check in' time as now.

Don't forget the medical examination is not required for cross channel ferries (it never has been), so don't waste money needlessly.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/pet-owners/parasites/#travellingfrom1jan

There is a complete contradiction though in the new rules.

Not less than 24 hours and not more than 120 hours (1-5 days) before its scheduled arrival time in the UK

and

When you arrive at the check-in point, if less than 24 hours has passed since the treatment, you will have to wait until the full 24 hours have passed before you can check in with your pet.

So what if you are on a long crossing??!!

The vet may decide to check your animal over, because when they sign the pet passport, they confirm that the animal is fit to travel.

maggyd - 2011-12-02 11:33 AM

Ive been looking up treatments as I usually try to take my own, as having two very small dogs I dont much like the idea of an injection for worms!

Ive found Cestem worming tablets that have the required Praziquantel in them also it comes in a pack of two, Im just wondering though if I would have a problem with that as the French Vets usually use either Drontel or the injection :-S I suppose there is only one way to find out.!! :-)

Various french vets we've spoken to are generally surprised that DEFRA allow tablets to be given orally, since their view is, "I've signed to confirm treatment but what happens if the animal then vomits?..." " an injection would prevent loss of medication."

starvin marvin - 2011-12-02 3:15 PM

Various french vets we've spoken to are generally surprised that DEFRA allow tablets to be given orally, since their view is, "I've signed to confirm treatment but what happens if the animal then vomits?..." " an injection would prevent loss of medication."

I and a few others have been getting our dogs treat with Drontal , my older one has had it five times and the younger one once, at the Vet in Marquis never had anything said about it, if I havent my own with me they use theirs. I think its all red tape anyway as were only doing what we would do anyway! and the injection they use is the same dozage for any sized dog! alright if you have a big dog but not so good with a 3.5kg one.

The French vet that I have used for years always checked my late dog over and I welcomed that as I visited him twice a year so she had a good health check. He also weighed the dog before administering the injection so presumable the serum was a measured amount.

However, we took a small dog to a vet this year and she literally screamed in pain as did my puppy when the chip was inserted so I think that the smaller the dog the more painful some of these procedures are.

As an aside one vet (who I have never visited again!) put the tablet in my hand to give the dog after I had left!!!

Patricia - 2011-12-02 12:42 PM

Thank you Derek. I have been checking this website from time to time but had missed this update.

I am not intending to take a long crossing at present because my dog is only a pup but obviously I could get delayed on the journey to the port etc. and it occurred to me that there is an hour difference (at least). It is therefore important to clarify the ambiguities in the document e.g. calculate at port arrival or arrival in the UK?

I am also finding it difficult to be completely sure about the blood test rules. My pup is now chipped and my vet stopped doing blood tests some time ago. However, reading the documents is could be construed that blood tests are still required before 1 January. Pup will have the rabies injection next week and then I am travelling to France on 14 January and returning end of March / beginning of April. I certainly want to avoid the blood test but I am not sure whether her passport will be legal so I have emailed DEFRA for some clarification.

Are you aware that you have to wait 6 months before you can take your dog abroad after getting a positive blood test after the rabies injection?.

Defra have now changed the wording!! It now says:-

If, before you enter the UK, less than 24 hours has passed since the treatment, you will have to wait until the full 24 hours have passed before you can enter with your pet. If the treatment was done more than 120 hours before you enter the UK, you will have to have your pet treated again, have the treatment recorded in the relevant document, and wait at least 24 hours before entry. In these circumstances the waiting period and treatment for tapeworm can be carried out in quarantine.

But this just complicates matters as your pets aren't checked when they enter the UK, but when they check-in in France, Spain etc.

Are you aware that you have to wait 6 months before you can take your dog abroad after getting a positive blood test after the rabies injection?.

Peter you have always been able to take your dog abroad after the blood test without waiting as the 6 months only applied to coming back into the UK. This waiting period will now be shortened to 21 days.

Patricia - 2011-12-02 12:42 PM

Patricia, after reading the DEFRA website, it appears to me that under the current rules you still have to have a blood test after the rabies vaccination only if you intend to ENTER the UK BEFORE 1 January 2012. If you don't intend to enter the UK until 1 January 2012 or later (subject to their being at least 21 days since the vaccination) then the blood test isn't required. I would imagine your vet hasn't bothered doing blood tests for a while as no-one who had the vaccination done is intending to enter the UK before next year. If you are at all concerned, I'd be tempted to leave the rabies vaccination until January (assuming you are not intending to enter the UK within 21 days of it), just to be sure.What does need clarification, however, is WHEN you are deemed to have 'entered the UK' - is it when you check in, when you get on the ferry/train, or when you actually disembark in the UK itself ... this could be crucial if you are running 'tight' on time!!!

I think you are right Mel and this I would do except that to wait until after 1 Jan would not give me 21 days to enter France as I am booked to leave the UK on 14th! It is not clear at all.

I don't think I will be able to wait for the reply from DEFRA so will have to phone them.

I think you are right Mel and this I would do except that to wait until after 1 Jan would not give me 21 days to enter France as I am booked to leave the UK on 14th! It is not clear at all.

I don't think I will be able to wait for the reply from DEFRA so will have to phone them.

Patricia - 2011-12-03 6:14 PM

But I don't think that is relevant is it? It is only when you ENTER THE UK, not when you enter France that is applicable - its the UK which requires the rabies vaccination, not France. If you were doing it the other way by entering the UK from France, THEN you would have a problem, but the way you are doing it there isn't an issue with doing the vaccination in January.As far as I'm aware, even under the 'old' rules you could leave the UK at any time and would just be restricted on ENTERING the UK before the 6 months were up ... France would happily let you in!

Arriving in France

Ah,not being up on the French requirements I see what you are concerned about now .... I've just had a shuftie on the internet and came across the following website:

http://riviera.angloinfo.com/countries/france/pettravel.asp

Which says:

A non-commercial importer may bring up to five pets into France.

Pet owners must carry a valid EU Pet Passport for each pet when travelling with their animals to France.

If the rabies vaccination was the animal's first vaccine then it must wait for 21 days before entering the country. There is no time delay with booster injections, providing there is proof that the booster was administered before the last vaccine had expired.

A dog, cat or ferret must be over three months old to enter French territory. However an animal under three months of age may enter if it has had the complete rabies innoculation.

Rabbits and rodents may travel without a passport but should be declared at the border.

So, assuming this part of the legislation for entry to France hasn't been altered (the above seems to refer to the 'old/current' system) then you would need to get it done before Christmas to be safe.

Thanks for that info Mel - it confirms what I thought. I will have to research on the French vet sites because this does not give any information about blood tests and I know that the French did (or still do?) have to have blood tests.

Is "Arriving in France" your title or are you actually in France? If so have a good time.

Hi

We use Milbemax wormer that also has Praziquantel as a constituent active ingredient. We have had vets use this in the past.

Peter

Patricia - 2011-12-03 7:37 PM

Thanks for that info Mel - it confirms what I thought. I will have to research on the French vet sites because this does not give any information about blood tests and I know that the French did (or still do?) have to have blood tests.

Is "Arriving in France" your title or are you actually in France? If so have a good time.

No, just the 'title' so it stands out from other postings in case anyone is trying to find the info to which you refer. :-D Only 14 more working days (15 less 1 day's holiday) to go before I'm free from work .... works out to 76.5 hours!!!! B-) The last few weeks have really flown by ... hopefully the next 3 weeks will too! :->

Happy retirement then Mel.

I have searched all the French language sites I can find and they all mention changes for July 2011 (so presumably we are late in changing ours!). They only seem to refer to the change from tatoos to chips. I found some information on blood testing but this only referred to coming into France from outside the EU and that waiting period was 3 months, not 21 days.

For EU countries all sites says a Pet Passport is required signed by a vet so I presume if my vet issues a  passport then I will be alright without a blood test.

Will still call DEFRA on Monday to make sure though.

Archived