Euro 5 2012 Ducato Light Issue

Overlander

Today I purchased a Rapido V56. Base vehicle is a 2012 Euro 5 Ducato 130.

On the stalk where you normally finds 3 positions for your lights - off, side, dipped

This has changed. You now only get 2 - off, dipped.

Checked 20 Vehicles (euro 5) all the same, no way of turning on your sidelights. We checked all the euro 4 Ducatos they all have sidelights on the stalk.

Now, our first thought was OK they must all have Daytime Running Lights. Not So.

Every AUTOTRAIL did indeed have DRLs however every Rapido & Swift did not. We even checked it on the fiat computer and on mine DRLs were not specced.

So if you have a brand new Euro 5 Ducato please tell me do you have DRLs or can you turn on your side lights?

Also, any legal experts out there, will it even pass an MOT without sidelights that can be independently switched on?

Any advice appreciated.

Hi Overlander and welcome to the forum,

Have a look at this old thread Link which may give you the answer.

On older Ducato's you had to turn the ignition key back one notch to turn on the sidelights.

What this means on your 2012 model is you cannot drive on sidelights without headlights.

I think it is actually illegal to drive on sidelights alone hence this change.

Keith.

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the reply. I had a quick look in the dark, but will check again tomorrow in the light.

However I don't have the small tag at the lower edge of the key slot, which Dave mentions on his post on that thread.

Even more confusing that DRL's have been introduced in this model, but only as an option.

I'll do some more investigating in the morning 8-)

Can't answer your question for the Ducato. However, I own a Fiat 500 and on that, the DRLs are configurable on the onboard computer, so it's possible to operate it without DRLs (which would defacto put it in the position of the Ducatos you mention as spec'd without the DRLs). On the 500, there are no sidelights...it's either headlights or nothing. Perhaps the Euro5 Ducato is the same?

Hi Rosbotham,

On the autotrails that had drls, we found an option to turn them on / off on the on board computer. However on mine and all the others this option was not present. My headlight cluster is also a differant part number to that off the autotrails that has drls.

Unfortunately I left the manual at the dealers amongst other bits, but will go and get it in the morning.

Got the manual:

DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS (DRL) fig. 63

(for versions/markets where provided)

With the ignition key turned to MAR and the twist switch

turned to position O the daytime running lights are

automatically activated; the other lights and interior

lighting remain off. The automatic operation of the

daytime running lights can be activated/deactivated via the

display menu (see “Digital/multifunction display” in this

section). If the daytime running lights are deactivated, no

light comes on when the twist switch is turned to O.

DIPPED HEADLAMPS/SIDE LIGHTS fig. 64

With the ignition key turned to MAR, turn the twist switch

to 2. If dipped headlamps are activated, the daytime lights

go out and the side lights and dipped headlamps come on.

The warning light 3in the instrument panel comes on. When

the ignition key is turned to STOP or removed and the twist

switch is turned from Oto 2, all the side lights and number

plate lights come on. The warning light 3in the instrument

panel comes on.

PARKING LIGHTS

These lights can only be turned on with ignition key in

the STOP position or removed, by moving the left lever

ring nut first to O and then to 6 or 2.

The warning light 3in the instrument panel comes on.

So basically no side lights, you can either have your dipped beam on (which turns on the sidelights too) or your DRL on. SO if you have no DRL it's dipped beam or nothing...

Sorry I must be missing something here?

Surely "sidelights" are Parking Lights so there is no problem? They can be used when you are parked.

If you need lights for driving at night (rather than parking) dipped lights should be the only option. DLR (if fitted) for Daytime - dipped headlights at night.

How many drivers have you seen, particularly in poor light conditions (fog, rain etc.) driving on parking lights when in practice you see the vehicle before the lights when it is too late. They give a very false sense of security.

Even in well lit city centres I would always use dipped headlights at night.

Am I alone?

Awaiting flak.

No flak from me. Experience on the road persuades me that all moving vehicles should be brightly illuminated at all times, DRLs in the day headlamps at night. The idea that there is a way to disable auto-DRLs horrifies me and I hope that feature will soon be removed by legislation. There will of course be issues raised by the widespread use of such lighting and these will need to be dealt with once DRLs are actually widespread.

I used to be a Motorcyclist and always used My headlight to 'Show my presence' on the road, with everyone using DRL or headlights this 'definition' and safety will be lost 'in the Sea of light' on the roads and more Motorcyclists will suffer from the 'I didn't see you' brigade.

I don't agree with driving in poor visibility or poor light without Headlights on, BUT the idea of Everyone having lights on, be they DRL or dipped Headlights ALL the time, will drive me MAD, and not help with driver courtesy (I NEVER give way to a driver with headlights on in the daylight with good visibility, unless he has Blue lights and a siren going) as to me it is Arrogant and a 'Let me through,get out of my way ' type of driving. (and i am NOT a centre lane hogger either). Not an advance in road safety. *-) Ray

And if my next vehicle has DRL, the fuse will be removed or the wire cut.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Rayjsj - 2011-12-07 11:50 AM

I used to be a Motorcyclist and always used My headlight to 'Show my presence' on the road, with everyone using DRL or headlights this 'definition' and safety will be lost 'in the Sea of light' on the roads and more Motorcyclists will suffer from the 'I didn't see you' brigade.

I don't agree with driving in poor visibility or poor light without Headlights on, BUT the idea of Everyone having lights on, be they DRL or dipped Headlights ALL the time, will drive me MAD, and not help with driver courtesy (I NEVER give way to a driver with headlights on in the daylight with good visibility, unless he has Blue lights and a siren going) as to me it is Arrogant and a 'Let me through,get out of my way ' type of driving. (and i am NOT a centre lane hogger either). Not an advance in road safety. *-) Ray

And if my next vehicle has DRL, the fuse will be removed or the wire cut.

Just another example of the "we know best" brigade. When did they ever give a thought to the visibility of the most vulnerable road users, I talk of pedestrians and cyclists, its all very well making vehicles more visible to them , but what of the other way round when you have been temporarily blinded by some of these ridiculously bright lights. Mark my words legislation to have them wear flashing beacons on their heads will not be long following, and the supporters of DRL's will say what a good idea.

Does anyone seriously suggest that prior to DRLs we were /are all driving round oblivious to other vehicles, or that pedestrians were being mowed down in their hundreds because they could not see us, bulls**t.

Look It's all b*****ks, in nearly 50 years of driving I've never hit anything simply because I did not see it,( in fact never hit anything period) I've said it a thousand times if you can't see a vehicle you should not be on the road, and I'm with you, I also hate the bloody things. >:-(

I find this whole subject fascinating. Took delivery of a Vantage Neo just 2 weeks ago. Fiat Ducato cab. One of the final batch of Euro4"s built, therefore with a Euro5 dashboard. What has been confusing is that the switch on the stalk for the lights only has 2 positions i.e. OFF and DIPPED HEADLIGHTS whereas the owner"s manual shows 3 positions i.e. the manual is plainly for a Euro4 vehicle!

Seems that the lights are what they should be for a Euro5 built vehicle but the manual is not.

HAPPY MOTORHOMING TO ALL!

Can't fault your logic there, 1footinthegrave....... Don't want to anyway. Every new vehicle is going to drive around looking like a chavved up Nova as each manufacturer tries to differentiate themselves with a signature look. They all look about as naff as a very naff thing. To the point about motorcycles, yes a single headlight used to stand out; now it is a single round light in amongst all sort of weird naff patterns, and that is before the local yoofs spend their benefit on rip speed stuff from Halfords. I'll get off the fence one day ............

neillking - 2011-12-07 1:42 PM

You will as the legislation takes hold be driven mad then!

It's OK i'm halfway there already ! :D

Just remembered that in my old 1988 talbot you couldn't actually drive on just sidelights,as soon as the Ignition switch was turned the Dipped headlights came on.

Rayjsj - 2011-12-07 6:47 PM

...Just remembered that in my old 1988 talbot you couldn't actually drive on just sidelights,as soon as the Ignition switch was turned the Dipped headlights came on.

That was the dreaded 'dim-dip' era, during which vehicles that were first UK-registered (including imports) had to have the type of lighting system you've described.

It was slightly more complex than your description though, for the headlamps did not go into full-power dipped mode when the vehicle's igniition was turned on (and parking lights were already in operation) but into low-power dipped mode. If I remember correctly, there was concern about halogen bulbs being damaged by being run at low output and, as dim-dip took just as much power from the vehicle's alternator as 'full dip', there were no fuel-savings to be made either.

Dim-dip lighting was a UK initiative intended to make vehicles more visible in urban areas at night, rather than offering significant benefits for daytime usage. UK drivers generally poured scorn on dim-dip and it was quietly dropped when common European standards couldn't be agreed.

Archived