Daytime Running Lights: Fiat Ducato- Hella Kit.

Frank McAuley

Just a little update re above: The consensus seemed to be that the fitting of the HELLA Daytime Running Lights kit to a Fiat Ducato required the removal of the cab winngs.Wrong- I witnessed this kit fitted with little problem and without the removal of the cab wings today. They look great !

To fit the fog lights certainly requires the removal of the wings BUT here again I seek your help,viz: there seems to be a problem getting the lamps with the brackets to fit to the "spuds",ie you have to make the brackets! Is it possible to get the lamps AND brackets as a package? The absence of suitable switch gear in the cab is also a problem. If this was wired independently to a switch in the cab would it be legal?

Tyou in anticipation. >:-)

Sorry Frank, but i agree with the other two , WHY would anyone want to fit 'daytime running lights' you'll just have loads of 'well meaning' folk flashing you, to tell you ,'you have left your lights on mate' !

A compulsory reversing camera for any vehicle without 'Through vision' would be a better contibution to Road safety, and make more sense.

*-) Ray

Sorry but as the law stands at the moment this would be illegal which is why they are all set to work when the vehicle is in reverse. Seems mad to me as I would love to be able to use mine when driving so that I could see what was immediately behind me and more importantly any vehicle approaching fast immediately behind just when I was about to move out to overtake a lorry.

ChrisK5 - 2011-12-10 9:19 PM

I've never really understood the idea behind daytime running lights.

If drivers cant see a 10ft hight x 8ft wide x 28ft long white motorhome coming towards them, then they shouldn't be driving, should they ???

That's much like the comment the owner of a Lakia we met on site once, after had being run into from behind, made. He had to wait many months for a new rear moulding.

Chris,

The constant use of daytime running lights are ideal for pedestrians, and in particular people like me who are now getting more ancient by the day.

People who drive with sidelights only don't understand that to many elderly pedestrians its not easy to decide if a vehicle is moving or stationary and its particularly difficult to judge their speed.

In time there will be a change in the law and it will benefit everyone.

art

Guest 1footinthegrave
art338 - 2011-12-10 10:23 PM

Chris,

The constant use of daytime running lights are ideal for pedestrians, and in particular people like me who are now getting more ancient by the day.

People who drive with sidelights only don't understand that to many elderly pedestrians its not easy to decide if a vehicle is moving or stationary and its particularly difficult to judge their speed.

In time there will be a change in the law and it will benefit everyone.

art

Are you for real, if you consider yourself getting that ancient I'd suggest your probably better to give up the motorhome and get a mobility scooter. Look this is nonsense, people of any age are not being run over in droves because they cannot see vehicles, this is just more EU bulls**t or dreamed up by someone with too much time on their hands.

I note from the OP's comment he said the Hella kit "looks great" not that he will have more peace of mind that he is less likely to be running over hoards of old folk. If the supporters on here of DRL's put safety as paramount importance, then why don't they lobby for a blanket imposition of a 20 mph speed limit as well, might take a little while longer to get anywhere but would be safer in the event of a collision, no I did not think they would be up for that, just fit stupidly bright lights that momentarily blind you, and continue to hurtle along at 70mph in a tin box makes no sense at all IMO :-S

Colin Leake - 2011-12-10 10:12 PM

Sorry but as the law stands at the moment this would be illegal which is why they are all set to work when the vehicle is in reverse. Seems mad to me as I would love to be able to use mine when driving so that I could see what was immediately behind me and more importantly any vehicle approaching fast immediately behind just when I was about to move out to overtake a lorry.

Sorry Colin but you are mistaken, it is not illegal to have a rear view system in operation while driving forward. It is illegal to have video or tv working in viewable by the driver but that is not the same thing at all.

D.

Lets get one thing clear, daylight running lights,are only fitted to the front of the vehicle, they can be wired quite simply when the ignition is switched on.

The use of side lights instead are not the same, most sidelights are of 5watt power, and are intended for parking at night. Daylight running lights are about 20 watt power and show up much clearer in daylight.

Whether or not you think they are a good idea is neither here or there, they will eventually be fitted as standard on all new vehicles, at present they are fitted with the ability to be switched off permanantly in the vehicles lighting menu.

Personly I think they will be accepted as normal lighting display in the future and the option of choice to have them off removed and will become an MOT requirement.

You're probably right there Chas....... I did consider retrofitting them to my van but decided not to (however, take the point about pedestrians) but it is good to know that if I do want to fit them, then it isn't a difficult job. What really puts me off is so many badly retrofitted DRL's on the roads - and not all of them on changed up Saxos either. Even a lot of the factory fitted ones look just plain tacky (BMW excepted) as they all try to out innovate each other where there is no real room to do so.

I think that the ones in question automatically dim when the headlights are on, rather than a lot of cheapo retrofit ones

Sorry I can't answer OP's the question, but here's my opinion on the subject on Daytime Running Lights:

If the purpose of Daytime Running Lights is to enable the vehicle to be more visible to other road users and pedestrians I really doubt it will make any difference to road casualty figures.

As a motorcyclist, I find it's an all too common occurrence for a vehicle to pull out in front of me even with my lights on permanently as is the case on all modern motorcycles.

I was recently the passenger in a car around dawn time, and was horrified when the driver just pulled out in front of a bus which had it's headlights on! Fortunately the bus was able to stop with only inches to spare!

As for them looking good - I disagree. I think they distract other drivers as the factory fitted lights are often arranged in wavy designs rather than a single light.

The number of drivers who use their front fog lights in daylight proves to me that a lot of drivers use them as they think they look good/sporty rather than as an aid to their visibility even though the use of fog lights in good visibility is illegal. If their reasoning was for improved visibility to other road users, then dipped headlights would be less dazzling even though unnecessary in good visibility.

I think some drivers need to be a little more patient when deciding whether to chance turning into the path of another vehicle and I honestly don't think DRL will stop these drivers from taking the risk.

I agree with a previous post, if a driver cannot see a vehicle approaching in good visibility without it's headlights or DRL illuminated then they either need an eye examination or shouldn't be driving! Saying "sorry I didn't see you" after the impact isn't an excuse!

Rant Over! (lol)

Regards

John

Frank McAuley - 2011-12-10 6:59 PM

Just a little update re above: The consensus seemed to be that the fitting of the HELLA Daytime Running Lights kit to a Fiat Ducato required the removal of the cab winngs.Wrong- I witnessed this kit fitted with little problem and without the removal of the cab wings today...

Instructions for fitting Hella's X250-specific DRL kit are provided on:

http://www.tagfahrlicht.com/IT/picture/downloads/Einbaustory/EinbaustoryLEDayLine_Fiat_Ducato.pdf

Removal of the vehicle's front 'cowlings' '(ie. the left and right sections of the front bumper) is part of the advised procedure, but not removal of the cab wings. It may well be possible to fit the Hella DRLs without removal of the cowlings, but may be a lot easier if they are removed. Many vehicle-related tasks (eg. headlamp-bulb replacement on certain cars) fall into the just-possible-with-double-jointed-fingers category, avoiding the major dismantling that a workshop manual sometimes advises.

Guest 1footinthegrave

One only has to take a look at the pdf link above to see the ridiculous proposition that the great hulking M/home is any more visible with or without the fashion accessory DRL's

Also it is odd that there are no plans for DRL's for the rear of our vehicles, as presumably the proponents of DRL's must think something magical happens and assume drivers have no difficulty seeing the back of you in good visibility.

chas - 2011-12-11 8:42 AM

Lets get one thing clear, daylight running lights,are only fitted to the front of the vehicle, they can be wired quite simply when the ignition is switched on.

Not quite that easy they must be turned off or dimmed when the headlights are on.

Guest 1footinthegrave
lennyhb - 2011-12-11 11:06 AM

Not quite that easy they must be turned off or dimmed when the headlights are on.

What's that all about then, (?) (?) (?) (?) (?)

1footinthegrave - 2011-12-11 11:16 AM

lennyhb - 2011-12-11 11:06 AM

What's that all about then, (?) (?) (?) (?) (?)

It be the regs:D

kelly58 - 2011-12-11 12:13 PM

DRL's on motorbikes are a must for the obvious reasons , but for motorhomes its a no no leave the fancy lights to the  " boy racers ". next thing will be blue strip lights along the bottom of the side skirts.

Ooh... That's a good idea!

On the subject of the "quality" retro fitted DRL's, my own understanding was some of the wiring was used (presumably taking a lead off the headlamp) so that they dimmed when the headlamps were on to prevent "Chav dazzle". I don't know how this interferes with the canbus system on the vehicle and certainly I won't be trying to find out anytime soon as my 10 foot high, 8 foot wide white van should be fairly visible to all under normal circumstances.

This is post no 20. Of the previous 19 only one addresses the OP's question, which sought advice on installation, not opinion on his choice of vehicle lighting.

Apologies to the OP for not making a useful contribution but, if any of the above respondents had posted seeking practical assistance, would they have welcomed what they got instead? Just asking, mind. :-S

Guest 1footinthegrave
Brian Kirby - 2011-12-11 3:42 PM

This is post no 20. Of the previous 19 only one addresses the OP's question, which sought advice on installation, not opinion on his choice of vehicle lighting.

Apologies to the OP for not making a useful contribution but, if any of the above respondents had posted seeking practical assistance, would they have welcomed what they got instead? Just asking, mind. :-S

Is that anything new, Perhaps Hella would be his best source for the advice he needs as it is such a new product.

Frank McAuley - 2011-12-10 6:59 PM

To fit the fog lights certainly requires the removal of the wings BUT here again I seek your help,viz: there seems to be a problem getting the lamps with the brackets to fit to the "spuds",ie you have to make the brackets! Is it possible to get the lamps AND brackets as a package? The absence of suitable switch gear in the cab is also a problem. If this was wired independently to a switch in the cab would it be legal?

I can't advise usefully on your lamps + brackets inquiry but, having looked at the relevant sections of the UK's Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations, I believe wiring front fog lamps to a separate dashboard switch would be legally permissible.

The norm seems to be for vehicle manufacturers to have front and rear fog lamps operable via a single multi-function light switch, but that's not mandatory; neither is there a requirement to have a 'tell tale' to warn of FRONT fog lamps being illuminated.

Personally, I wouldn't bother to fit front fog lamps to a vehicle if that vehicle already has dashboard dipped-beam-angle adjustment - which most current motorhome base-vehicles now have.

Unless you can drive with the fog lamps on and the headlamps off, you are going to get a lot of back-dazzle from the headlamps unless you adjust the dipped beam well down. And, if you adjust the dipped beam well down, you'll 'swamp' the fog lamp beams. Obviously, if you suitably wired your fog lamps, you could use them independently of the headlamps, but I'm not sure that's such a great idea in practice.

I certactly enjoy the contributions ,even though not exactly what I was asking but it's always good to read comment on this page. Personally I think they(DRL's) enhance safety and are more efficient that the vehicle's headlamps!

A number of contributors seem to think that " this or that sholud be,eg you should be able to see my mhome and if not then you shouldn't be driving"! I'm afraid there are a lot of collissions where "that should not have happened" apply.

I refer to the front fog lamps and not the rear high intensity lamp. Has anyone fitted them and if so were any problems encountered and (wait for it) where did you get them and how much did they cost!

Tyou Brian - you certainly deserve your place with MMM. :-(

Re Derek's comments: tyou and most interesting. Basically I would only use them in fog and not drive with them and headlamps in normal conditions which I believe is illegal.Is it legal to drive with fog lamps only illuminated in normal conditions?

Basically are you saying if dipped and depressed headlamps are used in fog then additional fog lamps are really of no use? :-S

Archived