Ebay bargain

Guest pelmetman

Having looked at camper on Ebay I thought I would look at sellers history. The following link shows where he bought it from and how much he paid for it prior sorting the bodywork out ready for resale. Also worth noting current price is at early stages of auction and the reserve is not yet met. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160666605705 Interesting hey. Stuart

Guest pelmetman
camperadi - 2011-12-14 9:07 PM

Having looked at camper on Ebay I thought I would look at sellers history. The following link shows where he bought it from and how much he paid for it prior sorting the bodywork out ready for resale. Also worth noting current price is at early stages of auction and the reserve is not yet met. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160666605705 Interesting hey. Stuart

That's a useful link didn't know you could do that ;-).....................looks like he's done a nice job of tidying up a pretty straight camper :D

BGD - 2011-12-14 9:57 PM

So he bought it in October for £1600 odd, has washed and polished it, shoved it straight back on fleabay; and bids are now over £2,000, with reserve not yet met.

Nice work.........

ELBOW GREASE is very expensive!! Got to cover the cost!!

I had one of theseTalbot Camelots, 4 vans ago !

Mine was quite a rare one, 2.5 diesel.

I installed an oven and propex blown air.

And that Paloma 'on demand' hot water was the best !

38 mpg and you could park it anywhere.

But, tin worm and more kit, requiring more storage, meant we had to get newer and bigger !

regards

Allen

Guest pelmetman

Ditto the palamo water heater :D

At 2 or 3k it certainly looks a bargain for a go any where camper, and who ever buy's it if they keep it tidy can expect to get their money back, so a few years of free holidays............just what you need in a recession ;-)

Guest Peter James
Is he a trader working as a private seller avoiding the obligations a trader would have? This comment is from a guy with 292 100% positive feedback. Broke down after 2 hours alternator broken, also 2 bald tyres not new as stated.'

Guest Peter James
nowtelse2do - 2011-12-15 11:33 AM

Looks like plenty of problems ahead around the windscreen and seams.

Dave

I had a van with that problem. Painted it over and the rust was through again in a few weeks. I doubt if this guy has made a bettter job of it than I did since he is selling it again straightaway?

Guest Peter James
nowtelse2do - 2011-12-15 12:52 PM

The windscreen will need to come out plus trim, I recone it's a pretty big job Peter, also his feedback is only 88% I don't think that is good, is it?

Dave

Not when it includes feedback for small items, and feedback for vehicles tends to be done straight after purchase, before the rust etc has had time to show through.

Guest pelmetman

For 2k he could just scrap it ;-).............I suspect it will look good for a couple of years, after which who ever buys it can tart it up again or sell it on................for 2k again :D

Still a cheap holiday vehicle in my book B-)

Guest Tracker

Get it at the right price and refit all the internals into a newer van and then you will have a sensibly priced van conversion - but not without a lot of work.

That said I did just that many years ago when cash was short and spare time was not and I rebuilt a damaged touring caravan innards into a Hitop Bedford LWB twin rear wheel CF van (ex SWEB) - not easy and very time consuming - but not expensive either as there was plenty of spare bits of aluminium and wood to make up fitting brackets etc. and even if I say so myself it did work well and looked good - but you only have my word for that as the guy I sold it to rolled it into a dry stone wall on a country road and wrote the whole lot off!

I always said that the next one would be easier - but never quite persuaded myself to do it again!!

pelmetman - 2011-12-15 3:17 PM

For 2k he could just scrap it ;-).............I suspect it will look good for a couple of years, after which who ever buys it can tart it up again or sell it on................for 2k again :D

Still a cheap holiday vehicle in my book B-)

My thoughts exactly...

..and I wouldn't expect anyone who is looking at a 1980s Talbot,that's on ebay for 2k,is going to be expecting a minter in the first place... :-S

Whoever buys it at least has the opportunity to examine the original photos and check how well the work has been done on the refurbished van.

I would think he's done a decent job otherwise he wouldn't have bothered with a respray and new decals would he?

Mel B - 2011-12-16 5:01 PM

Whoever buys it at least has the opportunity to examine the original photos and check how well the work has been done on the refurbished van.

I would think he's done a decent job otherwise he wouldn't have bothered with a respray and new decals would he?

It's always possible that he might have done a good job Mel - but I'd be very very suspicious indeed personally.

And I bet most people wouldn't burrow back through his previous ebay buying history - indeed he might well offload it onto someone outside of ebay.

In many many cases in the Trade, particularly right at the bottom end of the trade, where this chap is operating, a quick "blowover" is applied after an equally quick sand-down and fill, simply to disguise bodywork problems, NOT cure them.

All the rust is still there, simply buried under a thin layer of filler.

A couple of months later and it starts to bubble through once again - which is why dodgy traders try to offload such vehicles as fast as possible after the disguise has been applied.

I would MUCH rather always see and buy a vehicle in the "before", state. At that point it's straight, and the flaws can be seen, and I can either do the repairs properly myself or get them properly done by a professional reputable body-shop, with red-leading and proper two-pack, spray-bake painting facilities.

Out of interest, I asked the seller why he was selling it so quickly after he'd bought it in October, and what he had done since then to actually cut out and cure the obviously serious rust issues around the windscreen "A" pillars, the windscreen scuttle, and the body seams behind both side doors.

He flatly denied that it had been for sale in October.

I pointed out that anyone who looked at his own ebay history can see that he only bought it in October, and can also see the state it was in then.

I also enquired as to whether he was a bona fide registered motor trader, given the number of vehicles he buys and sells.

He would not say what he has done to cure the rust; and he didn't answer the "registered dealer" question; he just said come and see the van if you want.

I said I'd decided to give it a miss, as he wasn't being honest, and wasn't answering my questions.

Caveat emptor methinks.

Basil - 2011-12-18 4:31 PM

Why has your question to him not shown on the E-bay advert, is there a way of the seller witholding information from prospective buyers? I am interested for future information with any buys I might make.

Bas

Yes a seller has the choice to show a question or not, often if the question is one that several people have asked, it will be shown to save repeatedly answering the same question but questions don't have to be shown as in this case.

Archived