Motorhome and Caravan show Nec Feb

Hawcara

Don't know whether the booze is getting to me but just read in Jan 2012 edition of CC mag, that Nec show is from 21-26Feb (page *).

Looked on the website and :

UPDATE 25/11/2011: Please note the organisers of the NEC’s Boat and Caravan Show have announced that the show has been cancelled. The Motorhome, Caravan and Camping Show at London’s Excel will go ahead between the 14th and 19th February and Caravan Guard will be giving the event its full support. NCC Events organisers of the London show have also announced the dates of the Motorhome & Caravan Show 2012 at the Birmingham NEC as the 16th to 21st October.

Anyone know anymore?

*-)

Alex,

The Feb NEC show was cancelled at the start of November and was reported on MMM, Link.

They blamed the industry supporting the London show if I remember rightly.

And yes, I've just seen the ads in the Dec CC Magazine and thought what a c*ck up. But then again I'm sure there are other errors in Dec's mag, aren't the letters the same as the previous mag?

Keith.

Alex,

This link could possibly lead to confusion as the title says 'show confirmed' but then the first line reads "UPDATE 25/11/2011: Please note the organisers of the NEC’s Boat and Caravan Show have announced that the show has been cancelled."

So for anyone else following this thread please take note the Feb NEC show is cancelled :'( :'(

We are very sad about this at is is a show we had attended for many years and always enjoyed looking at the boats and outdoors side as well as the MH's.

Keith.

I have spoken to a number of motor homers and they have said they will not be attending the London Show, some because there is no onsite camp site. Also who wants to travel to London to get to a show not a very convent site for us to get to. Unlike the NEC Which is pretty central for most

Cannot understand why they have moved away from the Midlands to London personally. I can only think that the NEC was going to charge the earth for their stands and this is a way for the dealers to say NO, WE AINT PAYING IT! Perhaps when the NEC stop being greedy it will come back and then we will all be happy :-D

tugga - 2011-12-27 9:15 AM

Cannot understand why they have moved away from the Midlands to London personally. I can only think that the NEC was going to charge the earth for their stands and this is a way for the dealers to say NO, WE AINT PAYING IT! Perhaps when the NEC stop being greedy it will come back and then we will all be happy :-D

It MIGHT be due to the NEC Bulk charge, but what's far more likely is that it was the charges levied by the show organisers that put exhibitors off.

That, combined with individual exhibitors cutting back drastically on their marketing budgets, as their sales revenue falls, to try to survive and weather the recession storm in the niche market of "non-essential leisure product with massive price tag" vehicles they are trying to sell.........as these are exactly the first things that consumers decide not to buy when they cut back on spending

Usually what happens is that someone who wants to put on a show to make a profit (the show "Promotor" or organiser) gets a "bulk" price from the NEC for a whole hall (or two, or three....), and then sells individual exhibition pitches to exhibitors.

I reckon the Promoter simply got loads of " Thanks, but no thanks" replies from manufacturers and dealers when they send out their adverts and pitch price lists, and decided to scrap the whole show, as it was becoming obvious that they were going to lose a shedload of money if they'd carried on.

(The Promoter will of course already have lost all the money on whatever they've done so far to try to sell and advertise the event/NEC Halls deposit, etc.)

Promoters: a potentially very high return, but very VERY high risk business to be in.

BGD - 2011-12-27 11:34 AM

That, combined with individual exhibitors cutting back drastically on their marketing budgets, as their sales revenue falls, to try to survive and weather the recession storm in the niche market of "non-essential leisure product with massive price tag" vehicles they are trying to sell.........as these are exactly the first things that consumers decide not to buy when they cut back on spending

Not sure about this one. We decided to buy using savings, because they were earning no interest, inflation is high, there are no obvious investment opportunities, so we decided to spend the money rather than seeing it depreciate. At least that way it gives us some pleasure.

JamesFrance - 2011-12-27 11:15 AM

BGD - 2011-12-27 11:34 AM

Not sure about this one. We decided to buy using savings, because they were earning no interest, inflation is high, there are no obvious investment opportunities, so we decided to spend the money rather than seeing it depreciate. At least that way it gives us some pleasure.

Good for you, and enjoy it!

But I don't think that you can really extrapolate your individual behaviour/experience as being representative of the UK entire economy of getting on for 70 million people............(I'm also guessing that you maybe bought your new MH in France from a French retailer, rather than in the UK....France's consumer economy is not in the same parlous state as that of the UK at present.)

Incomes, expenditures, circumstances, attitudes to risk, and zillions of other factors combine together to affect consumer behaviours; which also vary wildly over time too.

You are one of the (I suggest relatively far fewer) people who did indeed buy a new MH in the UK this year.

You made that choice because of your own blend of circumstances and judgements about the likely future.

The point I was seeking to make was that, across the entire economy, there will be many more people deciding NOT to shell out £40K of more on a new, non-essential, rapidly depreciating "asset" at the moment, than people deciding that now is the right time for them to spend out that size of capital sum on a such a new item. Thus, it is a rapidly shrinking market. With players going bust, or shrinking their operations to try to survive.

That doesn't mean that no-one is buying a new motorhome of course. Just that, compared to the economic boom years of say 2003 up until say 2009, at the moment far less people are buying. Not enough sales of new MH's to go round amongst all the sellers of new MH's.

Yes you are right about bought in France, but our income and savings are UK, so since the pound was so cleverly devalued to help British exports, our motorhome purchase was much more expensive than it would have been pre 2008.

I notice that British prices have also risen considerably over the last 3 years, as the bases and most of the contents are imported. No wonder there are less new vans being sold recently if that is the case. The UK has self inflicted inflation.

tugga - 2011-12-27 9:15 AM

...but, be fair, there is still a show in the NEC in October! Is it not reasonable to have one in London as well, but as now at a very different time of year? Like it or not, there is a huge market, one assumes, in the south/ south east, and I can assure you that Birmingham it NOT convenient for many of us, unless we want to make a break of several days.

May be the organisers have re-considered matters now that thecost of fuel must be taken into account, and are merely responding to dealers/,manufacturers and the general public

Personally, though we have attended several shows at Birmingham, the expense both of travelling and staying there was getting out of the question, and I think it is only reasonable if tehre are two 'main'shows they should not both be in Birmingham. After all, there is one i think in Manchester and another one in Scotland, so logic dictates a major show in London. I hope it goes well - it's several years since there was one in this area, and Excel is far more convenient than Earls Court, where as some contributors may well remember, you could not even take a car let alone your motohome!

Incidentally, none of the advertising seems to give a postcode for Excel, just what roads are nearby (ie M25!). Does anyone have the postcode,or know how to find it?

Incidentally

Incidentally, none of the advertising seems to give a postcode for Excel, just what roads are nearby (ie M25!). Does anyone have the postcode,or know how to find it?

Incidentally

According to Excel website they recommend ( for Sat-Navs) E16 1DR

We always went to the show in February at the NEC but no way would be go to the Excel Centre in London. I understand those living south of the Thames wanting a London show but it is definetly not for us. London is not that accessible and any charges associated with London events are invariably a rip-off. Even though Excel entry charges are low it will still be very expensive to attend. The Excel Show is supposedly because the trade wants it there, so much for what customers want!!!!!!!!

Malc D -

thanks,Have put it into the Satnav..certainly couldnt see anything listed on it already! Have been around that area, but guess to find the actual entrance needs some careful planning! Can't think why the ads information doesn't show this. as I guess there will be quite a lot of visitors who drive there.

Wills wagon -

you don't quote your location, but I suspect Birmingham may well be nearer or more central for you. Thats,fine, but with one show already in the Midlands,one North, one Scotland, why not one in London,whcih after all is sitll thecapital city!

With regard to costs implied by you,I 'm intrigued as to what on what basis you say this. We find going to any venue like this whether NEC, London Olympia or Earls Court or any other 'arena' everything is high cost...espcecially food/refreshments........regrettably this has always been the case, even in Earls Court days Certainly NEC is much better, but not having been to Excel, I am not sure what it's like, though suspect it may well have a simial mixtiure of outlets as NEC.

Transport cost is the only thing which remains realtively stable, and that obviously depends where you start from! For us Excel is a couple of hours drive, Birmingham 4 or more.....so whatever our mode of travel, roughly double the cost.

If your suggestion is that the use of Excel is purely driven by the promotors/ Trade, I wonder on what basis you say this? If it really is the case, they will have a good reason for doing so, and probably consider that 2 shows in the same venue will not maximise their sales/'visitor numbers, and yes, Ok, their profits..

.....but without these any business is doomed to failure. Sorry, but thats the way any business has to work. If it doesen't make a profit, it eventually goes bust, and how many of those we have seen this year - even in the MH world!

We won't be going, but we weren't intending to either!

However, whilst we would go to Birmingham if the whim took us, we wouldn't do the same for London, regardless of how good the show was going to be.

Do remember, however, that the London show enables more people to attend much easier using trains, rather than going in their motorhomes, especially since not everyone will stay overnight at the show, and just go for one day instead. This could easily work out as cheap, or cheaper than taking the 'van anyway.

I can see the logic of having a show in London, rather than another one at Birmingham - the October one is still going ahead there. Plus, the Manchester one is supposedly much bigger this year so those 'up North' can go to that instead if they really must get their 'fix'.

I was going to reply to the moaners but the above two post say it all really. We live in Kent and will be attending. At £4.50 on the door for us OAP's who are members of The Caravan Club we will as ever take our own food but do expect to be able to afford a couple of cups of coffee if we can't blag one on one of the stands.

Just imagine how much it used to cost us to travel up to the NEC with our motorhome, stay two nights on site and pay the high entry fees that used to be charged in previous years.

You still have the October show which in a way is better for those intending to buy a new motorhome as we did last year because placing an order then should mean that said motorhome will be delivered before the start of the season in the following year.

Think yourselves lucky that still have the best of the shows at the NEC and pack up with the tiresome moaning because you think that have some sort of devine right to have both the shows at a location that suites you Aus Landers who live north of Watford at the expense of us Southerners!

Keith T - 2011-12-28 5:45 PM

Malc D -

thanks,Have put it into the Satnav..certainly couldnt see anything listed on it already! Have been around that area, but guess to find the actual entrance needs some careful planning! Can't think why the ads information doesn't show this. as I guess there will be quite a lot of visitors who drive there.

Hi Keith

I just typed " Excel by road " into Google and got an Excel website that had quite a bit of useful info on getting there by road.

Keith T - 2011-12-28 5:02 PM

But remember, if travelling in your MH, that Excel is within the boundary of the London Low Emission Zone (LEZ) and as such if you are not compliant then will be liable for either a £100 or £200 daily charge depending on your Max weight (GVW).

You can check if your MH is compliant by following this Link.

Keith.

Colin Leake - 2011-12-28 10:14 PM

Check if you are planning to take your motorhome. I hear the CC has been unable to arrange a temporary site for this advent.

That's correct - it's mentioned on the CC website and in the January 2012 CC Magazine (page 6).

There's a useful summary here:

http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/news/caravan-club-suggests-sites-excel-show-visitors

Colin Leake - 2011-12-28 10:14 PM

Check if you are planning to take your motorhome. I hear the CC has been unable to arrange a temporary site for this advent.

Thanks, yes already checked this out, and all oK - we often go tp the Abbey wood CC site, but and thats also inside the LEZ. .If we go to Excel,I think we shall go up by car, otherwaise stay at Abbey wood and use the DLR.

Archived