Watching DVD's

WhiteCheyenneMan

Should I worry about flattening the battery watching DVD's? My Autotrail has 2 leisure batteries which power the small built in TV and amplifier. But DVD's are played through the Dash mounted JVC Radio.CD/DVD player, which I assume runs off the vehicle battery(?). We have a tiny 1wp Solar Panel which sits on the dashboard when stopped and is only intended to provide a maintenance charge to the vehicle battery. All batteries are charged on the move and the leisure batteries are charged when using EHU.

most DVD players only draw a few watts (unless you have a ghetto blaster system !) ... so 10 hrs a day without turning on your engine with discharge a 1010 AH battery by say 30% .... ideal time to turn on the engine and drive to a pub and so recharging .... if you listen for less than 10 hrs a day ... go to the pub every couple of daus to recharge :-(

WhiteCheyenneMan - 2012-01-08 1:51 PM

But DVD's are played through the Dash mounted JVC Radio.CD/DVD player, which I assume runs off the vehicle battery(?)

John,

I think you will find that AT re-wire the dash radio to run off the Leisure batteries.

I would suggest a call to AT or failing that to Sargent electrical to check.

Or you could try pulling the main fuse on the leisure batteries to see if it still works.

Please post back if you find out.

Cheers,

Keith.

buxton-arts - 2012-01-08 3:54 PMmost DVD players only draw a few watts (unless you have a ghetto blaster system !) ... so 10 hrs a day without turning on your engine with discharge a 1010 AH battery by say 30% .... ideal time to turn on the engine and drive to a pub and so recharging .... if you listen for less than 10 hrs a day ... go to the pub every couple of daus to recharge :-(

Sounds like a good reason to increase the viewing hours (lol)

Keithl - 2012-01-08 4:55 PM
WhiteCheyenneMan - 2012-01-08 1:51 PMBut DVD's are played through the Dash mounted JVC Radio.CD/DVD player, which I assume runs off the vehicle battery(?)
John,I think you will find that AT re-wire the dash radio to run off the Leisure batteries.I would suggest a call to AT or failing that to Sargent electrical to check.Or you could try pulling the main fuse on the leisure batteries to see if it still works.Please post back if you find out.Cheers,Keith.

Thanks Keith,

That would certainly make sense. I will go and check tomorrow!

WhiteCheyenneMan - 2012-01-08 5:05 PM
Keithl - 2012-01-08 4:55 PM
WhiteCheyenneMan - 2012-01-08 1:51 PMBut DVD's are played through the Dash mounted JVC Radio.CD/DVD player, which I assume runs off the vehicle battery(?)
John,I think you will find that AT re-wire the dash radio to run off the Leisure batteries.I would suggest a call to AT or failing that to Sargent electrical to check.Or you could try pulling the main fuse on the leisure batteries to see if it still works.Please post back if you find out.Cheers,Keith.

Thanks Keith,

That would certainly make sense. I will go and check tomorrow!

John,I've just downloaded the wiring diagrams for Auto-Trail 2007 - 09 from Sargent Electrical's website and if you look at diagram 5 of 8 on 'Cheyenne Road Lighting' you can see that the radio is wired from the habitation electrics on the same feed as the 'Obserview' unit.So hopefully this will answer your question.Keith.

Archived