Silver screens

sedrake2

We have owned an Autocruise Starburst for about 4 years. We have noticed many motorhomes with external screens covering the windscreen and cab windows and would like to ask anyone who has these about the pros and cons. They seem a good idea, but our problem would be where to store them, especially when wet. Our external lockers are full, so they would have to go inside. Are they very bulky? Are they worth the bother on wet, windy days?

Many thanks. Susan Drake

Guest 1footinthegrave
You will no doubt get differing opinions, my take is this. We have an external screen, but as you quite rightly point out packing away damp is a problem, we used to leave it in the smallest room, but that was a pain as well. It is now in fact waiting for car boot season. There still seemed to be a lot of cab coldness in any event when we did use it. Our solution is to block of the cab area completely with some heavy duty curtains, if your van lends itself to this, we have found that far more effective than the silver screen ever was. Plus due to the nature of our stopovers, Aires mostly, I much prefer the ability to be able to drive off should the need arise, hasn't yet, but you never know do you ?

I have both SilverScreens & home made curtains to separate the cab from living space.

Their greatest benefit is that they help prevent condensation on the internal windscreen & side windows.

The screens live in their bag which lives in the garage, suspended under the bed on straps. Even when it is wet, we wipe them with a old towell and store them here.

We made the curtains because when driving the cab heater is useless - too big an area to heat, and the curtains have really helped - we use them when we are driving with the heater set to recycle rather than fresh air.

As 1foot says you will get many opinions, but the silverscreens work for me! :-D :-D

Hi Susan and welcome to the forum,

If you do not like the idea of storing external screens then why not try internal ones?

We have a set of Van Comfort Isomatten internal screens which came with our MH and they are all we use, even in winter.

At the worst we get a small amount of condensation which is soon wiped away with a chammy.

Like you I wouldn't want to be trying to roll up and put away a wet, dirty external screen.

Just my opinion, I'm sure others will have their own view.

Keith.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Yes "laimeduck" is correct, the very real benefit of lack of condensation on the cab windows. And also I echo the use of a cab curtain drawn when going along gets the cab warmer in no time, but we have found providing you keep the cab curtain drawn as soon as parked up, and a tiny amount of ventilation in the "house" part of the van cab condensation is very much reduced in any event. We too tried internal screens, but found they were a bit of a pain to stick up,and your left with sucker marks, but may be worth a go for you, if you have the room to store them, ;-)

We use our Silver Screens when needed in the Winter ie, cold frosty weather/cold wet weather. They certainly help keep the cab warmer. We use them in the Summer to keep the Sun out of the Cab they help keep the van cooler. If they are wet when they come off, just wipe them over with an old towel, fold the wet side in, roll them up and put them in their bag, put them back on wet if you have too. We find they dry fairly well on the van or hung over the bike rack. Condensation is a thing of the past when they are in place.

To help keep the cab warmer when parked up turn the heater control fresh air vent to recirculate this stops cold air comming in from the engine compartment, also on the edge of the cab doors there are air vents tape these over with duct tape. Theres plenty of other places for fresh air to come in through gas drop vents.

David

hi all, I bought internal silver screens which i am very pleased with and I also have an internal curtain but it goes in front of the seats so I cannot use it whilst driving! One advantage, I noticed, with the external screens when on holiday in hot countries, is that it keeps the front screen cool, protects the windscreen wipers and stops the build up of dried on dust and leaves collecting on the screen over the period of rest ( It can take some time to clear the screen from dust prior to moving off!) I hang my screens up in their cover in the wardrobe because they dont get wet and dirty! Screens stop nosy people looking into the cab to see what they can get!!

Guest Tracker

A lot depends on what times of year you use the van and whether you stay put for several days at a time and can leave them in place or whether you are highly nomadic, like us!

In our view there is no need for them at all in summer and very little in Spring and Autumn - especially in warmer countries.

We have a Starlet - Marquis version of Starburst - and we have the same storage limitations that you do but even if we had the space we would not use them because we really can't be bothered to faff about fitting and removing the darned things every day - especially when it rains!

Sure we get condensation inside but it wipes away in a couple of minutes with a microfibre cloth.

If you want a set of internal thermal blinds to fit the previous model Boxer cab I have a nearly new set that we do not use - make me an offer - and if you live within range of Kings Lynn you are welcome to come and see and try them first.

We don't carry them either for the same reasons but at least they do stay more or less dry and and less bulky than exterior ones so they will stow more easily in the shower compartment during the day.

We had internal screens on our Rollerteam and had bad condensation problems on the windscreen. Now we have a Silverscreen the problem is no more. They come in a nice big canvas type bag which in turn is in a polybag (used for protection in the post) which we still use when the screen is wet so there's no problem there.

The best bit is the middle section which folds down to give you the 'view' during daylight hours and simply velcros back up for night time privacy.......all things considered it was a wise purchase.

If you use sites and stay put for a few days at a time then external s/screens are probably worth while as they're very effective.  If your lounge area is 'up front' then it's better to have the extra mesh screen for daytime.

If however, you move on each day or you only wildcamp or use aires then you may feel that interior screens are better as, should you ever feel the need to vacate your parking place in a hurry, you can easily remove them and get going without needing to go outside as you would with the exterior ones.  If they get wet we put our's in the shower along with our wet weather gear to drain off before putting away. 

One thing that hasn't been mentioned above is that they are very effective at keeping the interior cool in the event of very hot weather.

On our previous van we had lightweight single thickness screens, silver outside black inside. These were just great, no condensation, and if they were wet, a quick shake would sort it. They took up no space, would fit inside the glove box, and although we also carried the internal screens but stopped using them as they were bulky, being padded, and caused condensation.

On our new van we have bought padded externals which take up much more space and yes, they are not so easy to dry, early days yet, but I'm not keen. I'll look around to see if there are any suppliers of lightweight ones, I think.

Tea Cup - 2012-01-11 9:08 PM

I'll look around to see if there are any suppliers of lightweight ones, I think.

Hi Tea Cup,

Van Comfort also do lightweight external screens if that's what you want. They call them 'Four Seasons'.

Quote from their website... "Not as bulky as a 'quilted' style screen therefore would benefit customers with storage problems."

Keith.

Hi Susan - welcome to the mad house! :->

We've been motorhoming for many years and have both internal and external screens. We use them as follows:

Internal: In summer to keep out the heat, plus spring and autumn to keep out the chill (if the weather isn't too cold so doesn't need the external ones.

External: In winter to keep the cold out of the cab and stop the horrendous condensation that you can get which can be a pain in the bum to clear up. As they also keep the cab warmer it means that stuff kept there doesn't get damp (maps etc). However, we wouldn't usually use the exernal ones if we are wild camping.

Which ones we take away with us really depends on the time of year and what we're going to be doing/where we're going to be staying.

As for drying the external ones, it really doesn't take much to dry them - a quick wipe over before removing them from the screen in the first place makes it easier (and drier ... no raindrops on you whilst you take them off!). As for storage, they really take up a lot of space if you only roll them up to the size of the storage bag, they can actually be squished to around half that size at least. If I remember correctly, your 'van has a separate shower compartment so they can be put in there if needs be to dry out - perhaps putting an expanding rail across the compartment, or a rail at one side, or even 2 wide spaced hooks which you could put a piece of washing line on, to hang them on without having to fold them up would solve your problem, and then you could also still use the washroom sink.

Which type, both or neither, will suit you is purely up to how you use your motorhome, if you don't go out in winter then internal ones would probably suffice, but for winter I really think they are one of the essential pieces of kit. Oh, and don't forget, you can use external ones inside (you just prop them up into the screen), but you can't easily use internal ones outside as they're not meant to withstand the weather.

Just remembered I meant to mention that Silver Screens are a company who produce these, there are others who do so too such as Taylormade who's products I rate more highly (and they are cheaper), but others have their own views.

Hi Susan, and welcome.

We had the external ones on our old van (which didn't have any habitation heating, or ANY double-glazing!), internals on the present one (which has both - except of course for the single-glazed cab windows).

As has been said above, only the external ones eliminate condensation on the cab windows. They're also usually more effective for serious cold weather insulation.

We find the internal ones slightly better at keeping the cab cool in hot weather, they pack tighter for stowage, they give enough cold-weather protection for our purposes, and you don't have to go outside to fit or remove them (if wild-camping, or in bad weather).

So it's really down to the way you personally use your van - and you may not really work that out until you've put some miles/nights behind you!

But however you do it, enjoy it!

Guest 1footinthegrave
Having re-read your post again, if it is windy and raining and it is imperative to move on, you will curse them. wrestling with a large padded item that is soaking wet is not the best way to start your day, unless your into cold showers. Been there, done it, as they say. But I'm guessing you will be no nearer to making a decision based on the replies to date, than you were to begin with, sorry. I can only say for us at least I'd have sooner kept my £80 quid in my pocket for the amount of use it has had :-S

Hi,

Mine : Exterior, store in back-box, stay in place fine in high winds, able to fold down front panel to still see out if necessary, NO condensation inside, Make : Silverscreens no problems over 2 years,

owned 'Taylormade' set for previous van, again, no problems. Both sets bought second hand @ £60 a set. No experience of internal screens. don't find exterior screens any problem to put on or remove,

;-) Regards Ray

We use external screens all the time (even in summer), if it is very cold, internal cab curtains and internal screens.

The screens are normally kept in a large tent bag, If we have wet silver screens, I just give them a good shake, and bundle them into a dustbin bag. (Two sides + front = Three bags) . The screens are out again for the evening, most of the wet is still in the dustbin bag. A shake and hang out to dry usually sorts the water problem.

Anything over a couple days contstant rain can be a little trying, but wet screens are usually last on the list to worry about.

Rgds

We have external screens but only ever use them in December when we go to somewhere like York to do our christmas shopping. Rest of the time do not even carry them, they are bulky and not worth the bother most of the time. I would not bother with them at all, they do stop condensation and probably keep the van warmer but even if it is cold our van is fine without. Could not be bothered with curtains either, blinds are the thing for us.

Just joined this forum and like it already, recently changed from a Caravan to a Motorhome so there are a few things we need to do differently and get, like thermal screen covers and decide which kind,internal or external.

So very interested in this thread, cheers.

B-)

We have an A class and we tour all year around, because of this we have silver screens from Taylor Made and they are brilliant. We fold the front down during the day and put them up when it starts to get cold. As we sit on the driver/passenger seat swivelled round, it would be jolly uncomfortable without them when the weather is cold.

If they get wet, a good shake and they are almost dry and we then roll them up and put them in the shower for travelling, along with the dirty washing. When they are dry we put them back in the bag and store them in the external locker, if we need to we take them in and clean them before putting them in the bag.

I consider the silver screens to be the best thing we have purchased for our motorhome.

HI,as every one has different views it is very hard to find an answer,if you split the interior and exterior you will find that people who use the van regular will tell you,that interior screens cause condensation,the other name for damp and rust,,exterior blinds are so easy to put on and off,but well worth the effort,keeps warmth in, nosy people out,bit of extra security with no one able to see in,cool in summer, during the winter if you dont use the van it will help to keep it warm, i have had different makes but some are very flimsy the best one at the moment is silver screens who make a good screen cover with an envolope over the cab doors,they dont flap and are very easy to pop on ,not cheap but good things never are,yes they have a bag for transport as well, easy to dry,if you ever get up in the morning and find your front window is full of condensation just think,all that is going down into your van somewhere like rust in window channel or even more damage down below the dashboard i.e electrics etc,with big costs to repair,best thing to buy for a motorhome,hope this helps,H

Just back from a long weekend in Dumfries & Galloway, we use external silver screens, brilliant, they kill condensation dead, do provide some insulation, take seconds to fit or remove on ones own. They are water repellent so easily wiped when wet. Two other MH's on site with us neither had external screens, both suffered horrendous condensation and iced windscreens.

It rolls up and fits into a waterproof lined storage bag and as a previous poster has commented it is easily squashed into a smaller package.

Ours usually lives in the luton with the bedding and coats, if they are really wet there stowed in the shower till opportunity arises to shake and wipe them.

I personally wouldn't be without them, but as they say "horses for courses".

Have external ones prob only used em 4 times we genrally just close the curtains and when I rmember leave the front windows open 1/4" to help minimize condensation. I dont actually like the screens on in the evening as our front dinette layout meens I sit on the drivers seat (swiveled round of course) and I feel somewhat claustrephobic (spellin) and when its time for bo bo's I cant be bothered faffing around outside.

Hi;

I wasn't going to respond, because just about every opinion I could think of has been expressed; but then I spotted the one aspect that gives me a bit of grief; and I'm a big fan.

I'm about 5'8" in my bare feet, and on some sites, when we've been given a sloping pitch and we are at the top of the ramps, it can be a bit of a climb to put the blinds up last thing at night.

In those circumstances you'll have a bit of a problem if you're 6foot! (IMHO)

We sit facing each other over a table, looking out of the windscreen and enjoy the view if we've got it right.

I have to step on top of the front wheel each side in order to reach the top edge. If I get less mobile it could be an issue. We have the original Cleckheaton silverscreens that fold half down for a view, and really value that.

Other than that I wouldn't be without them.

I wouldn't park up anywhere that I didn't feel safe, so i/s, o/s is not an issue in that sense, also got Remis blinds internal,

regards,

alan b

Archived