Bruges camp sites ?

Mr  Mrs Batty

Hello Neil,

Back to your question I think.

We went to Brugge 3 times in 2011 as well asother times in previous years. Unfortunately, if you go in Feb I think the Ice Sculpture exhibition near the station might have finished but there is still lots to do. Last year we stayed twice on the Aire and once at Camping Memling. We prefer the Aire. In February it will cost you €15 per night including electicity. You also need to budget a further 50cents to empty the loo. In winter the toilet blocks and showers at Memling are not always available, and then the price is lower than the Aire The rest of the time it is slightly dearer. You can stay a few nights at the Aire. Whist €15 or €22.50 in summer is expensive for an Aire it is so convenient for this beautiful city which we love. Given how expensive Brugge can be neither the Aire nor the campsite are extortionate. We love the Aire in part because it is 10minutes walk from Daisy's, the best bar in mainland Europe, or at least the best we have found. It is actually called Brugs Beertje ( www.brugsbeertje.be/index_en.htm ). Enjoy yourself in Brugge.

If you want any more info on Brugge you can send me a PM. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Carl

We stopped at the aire this new year for the second time (15E), both the guys that ran the car park were really helpful and directed us to the free water and grey tank emtying place.Memling is ok too plenty of spaces off season but a bit far from the town centre.

robertandjean - 2012-01-15 8:23 PM

Yes, the Judge is right this forum should be all about sharing experiences, stop-overs etc in a friendly way; lets see if we can,t move back to that. (By the way our old mate Brian does not know it all; his knowledge of aires is very limited, unlike ourselves!!)

Only the Good Lord knows it all - however, I can reveal that, where motorhome forums are concerned, he delegates that power to me.

(A variant on a Batman and Robin joke.)

We are off to Belgium for a weekend in May and after reading this thread will now extend our stay for a couple of days to visit Bruges. Will probably stay at Memling as we tow a motorbike on a trailer unless someone can tell me that the marked spaces on the aire are big enough to accomodate van and trailer? I've looked at the photos on the linked thread (thanks for that) but can't quite see the size.

Would just like to say that this type of thread is very helpful and it would be good to go back to happier times on the forum. :-D

Yes, the Judge is right this forum should be all about sharing experiences, stop-overs etc in a friendly way; lets see if we can,t move back to that. (By the way our old mate Brian does not know it all; his knowledge of aires is very limited, unlike ourselves!!)

Not sure I've ever professed to know it all, or to have a particularly great knowledge of aires, so am a little bemused by that comment. Have I somewhere caused offence, or is the dig because I prefer sites?

Back to Bruges

Klein Strand is at GPS N51.18448 E3.10445.

Memling is at GPS N51.20724 E3.26306.

The aire is at GPS N51.19633 E3.22575.

Hello Hopesy,

The marked spaces on the Aire are considerably longer than those at Memling. Our van is 6.3m long and we tow a large scooter on a trailer which is over 2.5m long we fit on with room to spare. The spaces at the far left hand side as you drive into the Aire from the coach park seem to be the longest. All the spaces are quite narrow but there again so are the standard MH pitches at Memling which are 2 - 3 m shorter. If you get one next to a tree it gives you extra space at the side. If there is space you can pay extra for a larger pitch at Memling.

Regards,

Carl

Hello Michele,

The Ice Sculpture exhibition is in a large refrigerated tent outside the station each year from roughly late November to late January. The Brugge Tourist info website gives the actual dates and annual theme. The scupltures are fantastic. If you are interested some of the photos I took in December are on our website at http://xmasmkt11.wanderbirds.co.uk/#31.21 .

Regards,

Carl

Hi Mr & Mrs Batty,

As a teacher I have used Camping Memling many times in the February half-term, en route to Hermany or Holland. The site is basic but is very convenient for Bruges by foot and to a large supermarket. The showers and toilets have always been open at that time of year- and we have been there when it was freezing! We always have a hardstanding and usually there are only a handful of other occupants.

We also used Klein Strand, again in February, and although the staff were very helpful, there were itinerants on site who were not friendly and we did not like the atmosphere at all. It was also rather muddy and the facilities were not clean. Not convenient for Bruges as a pedestrian either.

Enjoy your well deserved break!

Susan

http://www.campingmemling.be/prijzen.php?lang=en We have stayed on this site quiet a few times. If you look at the web site you can see the pitch sizes and pricethe i paid 20euro for a pitch 80m. Last November. Give them a call they are very Helpful . There was a notice on the toilet wall when we were last there with a plan for a new toilet shower block. We did look at the Aire 22E for a carpark against 20 E for the site with all amenities Th eaire lost out

Derek Uzzell - 2012-01-16 9:35 AM

Only the Good Lord knows it all - however, I can reveal that, where motorhome forums are concerned, he delegates that power to me.

(A variant on a Batman and Robin joke.)

Derek, sure there is a good joke here but as we are not fans of cartoon characters we do not get it! Sorry.

Brian Kirby - 2012-01-16 11:47 AM

Not sure I've ever professed to know it all, or to have a particularly great knowledge of aires, so am a little bemused by that comment. Have I somewhere caused offence, or is the dig because I prefer sites?

Back to Bruges

Klein Strand is at GPS N51.18448 E3.10445.

Memling is at GPS N51.20724 E3.26306.

The aire is at GPS N51.19633 E3.22575.

Brian, No offence intended here; it was just an attempt at humour. It followed from the post by the Judge, in which he refers to you as "know it all Kirkby". Given that we have some knowledge of aires, and you much knowledge of sites, together with the fact that we have exchanged views on merits of each in the past, it just seemed an amusing aside at the time. Again sorry if it did not come over as intended.

Hello again Michelle,

I have just checked and found the Ice sculpture exhibition finished on the 15th Jan. The galleries and Museums are still there as is this wonderful city. If you are into Belgium beer and not Euro lager the annual beer festival is on the 4th and 5th Feb.

Regards,

Carl

Archived