My Tom tom xl has no way to add a destination nor --

plumbersvan

We bought the tom tom 740 live paying £269.99 at Halfords. We added all of the extra's that we could posibly use.

Just before our break in September last year we thought we would purchase the latest maps, I wasted a whole morning trying then found out that the problem was the 2gb memory and the 2gb plus maps.

I was not amused and vented my spleen onto the poor guy at the other end of the phone who said he would pass my complaint onto his superiors, like hell he would but when this one is of no further use tom tom have lost a customer.

It seems to me that the market leader has lost the plot and will loose customers because of it

dawki - 2012-01-22 6:05 PM

You definitely cannot put long/lat into these, you will have to you post codes.

Not true, mine is only a 'One new version' 5 years old. just updated (no cost) regularly.

Ray

Keith/Syd,

Sorry, just going by my own experience, didn't realise Tom Tom had 'shot themselves in the foot' by deleting a very useful tool in their software.

If this one ever breaks, i'll have to be careful buying a replacement, making sure it has ALL the features of my present one (which cost £160 five years ago.). Syd, why not just buy a bigger sim card ?

Keithl - 2012-01-25 6:52 PM

Rayjsj - 2012-01-25 6:14 PM

why not just buy a bigger sim card ?

Simple. Because they no longer have a card slot :-( :-( :-(

Keith.

WHAT ??? what are Tom Tom Playing at ? what about increasing POI's and newer Maps,? not everyone can Download new maps, some have to just buy the sim cards.

I think I agree that they are going downhill. Ray

Couple of things to note, the latest 'richer' maps used by tomtom are much bigger than earlier files, this means you need the later model with 4gb and/or card slot to fit full europe, found this out the hard way with an XXL which was returned. Now have the 125 via live which is a later model that has the bigger memory, card slot, and full menu including lat/long. As I said on other thread TomTom have a full range of car satnavs to suit a range of customers, trouble is they and thier retailers don't explain enough and match device to customers needs.

Keithl - 2012-01-25 6:52 PM

Rayjsj - 2012-01-25 6:14 PM

why not just buy a bigger sim card ?

Simple. Because they no longer have a card slot :-( :-( :-(

Keith.

Thanks for tipping me off about this as there is a sim card slot on my tomtom but the point is why should they sell me a pretty expensive machine and then bring out maps that wont go on to it under two years later.

Probably will consider it some time in the future when I get over my sulk

Syd,

I did mean an 'SD' memory card (as opposed to a 'Sim' card) a slip of memory (!!) SD cards go right up to ?? gb. these days, but a useful 16gb is available from Amazon for £10.

I still can't believe that they (Tom Tom) would stop putting in a memory slot into their devices. Why ? *-) Ray

:'( TOM TOM is HOPELESS i spent 2 hours today looking for eleclerc and darty i was/am 1km from eleclerc 8-) 8-) tomtom dint find it 8-) 8-) i looked at the map with an Irish woman i was having coffee with and we could mot find it on the map

I later took out my old garmin :-D withing 30 seconds id found eleclerc which i will need to replace my gas bottle next week and darty :-D

On another post to find a replacement there were those who said the new system "finds anything" That is NOT TRUE its the kings cloths the new tom tom is simply terriable

When i find a download of the old tom tom xl i will remove all the files on the one i have and replace them with the old files :-D Which the defenders said is impossiable 8-) Its not at all with tom tom you can change what you like,at your own risk of couse But you can do it

Rayjsj - 2012-01-26 9:46 AM

Syd,

I did mean an 'SD' memory card (as opposed to a 'Sim' card) a slip of memory (!!) SD cards go right up to ?? gb. these days, but a useful 16gb is available from Amazon for £10.

I still can't believe that they (Tom Tom) would stop putting in a memory slot into their devices. Why ? *-) Ray

Read my post, they haven't stopped putting in memory card slots on all models, just the ones that don't need one.

I don't think there's a hope in hell of successfully carrying out the addition of a basic feature (like lat/long coordinate usage) that's not in a sat-nav's original specification unless the device's manufacturer provides the sat-nav owner with the means to do it. But amateur DIY manipulation of the sat-nav's 'workings' - forget it.

I'm also pessimistic that a French supermarket outlet would be prepared to accept a sat-nav back merely because it transpired post-sale that the device doesn't include a capability that the buyer had assumed would be present. My experience of French supermarkets is that a) each outlet tends to be franchised (so any complaint must be made to the specific outlet from which you bought the product) and b) concepts like 'fit for purpose' won't cut much ice.

Archived